3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bosch plug junk, do not use.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 08:57 PM

Bosch plug junk, do not use.

Yes, the bosch platinum are junk. Ive gone through two sets in under 10K kms, and my motor is still pinging.
I use good gas, and timing is set properly, and i have checked the gapping.

I am looking for a simple non platinum plug, like the NGK copper, but according to the suppliers listing, they dont make one for the maxima.

I have the VE motor, and only platinum plugs list. NGK being one of them. I have done a search and confirmed that its not just me who notices the low quality of the bosch plat.

Prices up here for the NGK plat. are still around $20CAD each, $12-13US, and that is shop price. How does that compare with the US prices?? I ask cause i am Canadian, eh.

Thanks for any replies, and guys, please keep on topic.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:22 PM
STFU n00b!

you've got other problems if you're detonating with ANY plug in there, let alone platinum ones. I've run everything from the NGK plats to NGK copper to Denso Plats. I have never noticed a difference in performance on any of them. I would highly suggest you take your car to a competent shop and have them diagnose the problem for you before you thros another $80 in plugs at it.

BTW.. try courtesy nissan for the plugs. they'll ship to canada, and it's around $9 each if I remember right.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
you've got other problems if you're detonating with ANY plug in there, let alone platinum ones. I've run everything from the NGK plats to NGK copper to Denso Plats. I have never noticed a difference in performance on any of them. I would highly suggest you take your car to a competent shop and have them diagnose the problem for you before you thros another $80 in plugs at it.

BTW.. try courtesy nissan for the plugs. they'll ship to canada, and it's around $9 each if I remember right.
I've been using Bosch Platinums for the last 70K miles and have also noticed no difference in performance from the stock plugs. I agree. You have something else going on there.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:50 AM

bosch are ****.. NGK's are the way to go
Old 10-01-2002, 10:37 AM

Re: Bosch plug junk, do not use.

Originally posted by trbo
Yes, the bosch platinum are junk. Ive gone through two sets in under 10K kms, and my motor is still pinging.
I use good gas, and timing is set properly, and i have checked the gapping.

I am looking for a simple non platinum plug, like the NGK copper, but according to the suppliers listing, they dont make one for the maxima.

I have the VE motor, and only platinum plugs list. NGK being one of them. I have done a search and confirmed that its not just me who notices the low quality of the bosch plat.

Prices up here for the NGK plat. are still around $20CAD each, $12-13US, and that is shop price. How does that compare with the US prices?? I ask cause i am Canadian, eh.

Thanks for any replies, and guys, please keep on topic.
I agree with replies. I've run the Bosch +4 for about 5k now and the engine may run marginally better. I've run Bosch in my cars for years and never had a problem. Why did you run through the two sets of plugs? Were they damaged? worn? carboned? or was it because of the engine pinging?
The plug shouldn't cause pinging unless it is carboned up or too high a heat range. You didn't step up to a hotter plug did you? If the engine or intake valves are carboned up, use something like Chevron techron deposit cleaner to remove carbon. Also try several types of gas. My MR2 would carbon up intake valves like crazy and most of the top line gasolines pinged in it. The only ones that didn't were Chevron and BP. But in different areas, the gas comes from different sources and is not the same quality. So try some different ones where you live. You haven't changed your timing have you?

Some Thoughts '92 SE
Old 10-01-2002, 01:20 PM

Re: Re: Bosch plug junk, do not use.

Originally posted by 92 Max

I agree with replies. I've run the Bosch +4 for about 5k now and the engine may run marginally better. I've run Bosch in my cars for years and never had a problem. Why did you run through the two sets of plugs? Were they damaged? worn? carboned? or was it because of the engine pinging?
The plug shouldn't cause pinging unless it is carboned up or too high a heat range. You didn't step up to a hotter plug did you? If the engine or intake valves are carboned up, use something like Chevron techron deposit cleaner to remove carbon. Also try several types of gas. My MR2 would carbon up intake valves like crazy and most of the top line gasolines pinged in it. The only ones that didn't were Chevron and BP. But in different areas, the gas comes from different sources and is not the same quality. So try some different ones where you live. You haven't changed your timing have you?

Some Thoughts '92 SE
Well, the first set of plugs, i had two plugs die on me within a week, i failed to mention that. So i just scraped all six, and bought six new ones from another supplier. I wasnt gonna buy another set seeing as how crappy they are in turbo cars, but most guys on here at the time(last year) glorify the bosch platinum, so i gave them one last chance.

NGK might cost more too for a very good reason. I paid $60CAD for the bosch. I havent checked cost exactly for the NGK, but it will be over $100 from what i last recall.

I only use 94 octane from sunoco. My timing has been pulled back far enough to where detonation doesnt happen, but then the car is very sluggish. Its set to about the third notch on the pulley.

The only other plug ive ever used on the maxima was so long ago, i cant remember what it was. I only put about 6-7K miles (10K kms) a year on the maxima. In the four years ive had it, the first two , it was my only car, and i put about 40K kms during both years (20k each), and since then i barely drive as its just a sunday cruiser or just used for long drives and weddings.

My point is, from what i last remember, the car would never detonate, only after the first set of Bosch. The only other thing that could be wrong, is a weak fuel pump. The filter has been changed since as well. I might check fuel pressure this weekend if i feel like it.

I cant see how, but its possible, the pump being on its way out and it just happen to coincide with my tune up at the time.

My VTC are working normal, you dont hear them other than for the first 30 seconds on a real cold morning, after that its smooth.
Also, i notice the car has been running rich, at least it smells damn rich. I have to hook up the A/F meter to check the O2(new as well).

I will be swapping plugs regardless in a couple of weekings, along with a new rear motor mount.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:54 PM

FYI:

I have a 92SE, and the fuel pump went out at 130K miles. The car either ran or it didnt, no in between.

I doubt its a fuel pump problem. Like others said, I would NOT keep dumping plugs into your car.

When I changed out my plugs, I got them from the dealer for $22 (6) US, and they have worked great for the last 15K miles.

Good luck!