3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bottom Line about VTC's!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 11:22 PM

Bottom Line about VTC's!

I have done quite a bit of research about this problem. I have the chance to buy one. It has the VTC problem. Anyway, how much to have it fixed? I have seen so many diff stories and prices that I really have NO clue as to what the price to expect is. Some say 400, some say 1200 and even some say 2000.
I have searched and searched on this. I am about to make the purchace, but if its going to be outrageos to fix it, then Im going to wait and get something else. Also, if this is a known problem, why doesnt Nissan do it for free? I mean, someone payed good money for this car expecting it to reach 200K plus miles. Cant Nissan be heald liable for there screwup?
Any info is appreaciated!
Also, I dont plan on racing the car EVER, so will grouding the wire fix the chattering noise , with NO ill side effects besides the slight loss in hp?
Again, thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:26 PM

Re: Bottom Line about VTC's!

Originally posted by Slither
Also, I dont plan on racing the car EVER, so will grouding the wire fix the chattering noise , with NO ill side effects besides the slight loss in hp?
Yep
Old 12-18-2002, 11:28 PM

Oh yea, and one more thing. The car still has the stock timing belt, I am told. The guy I am getting it from showed me a paper stating that the noise is coming from the timing chain/tensioner. I am assuming that since the car does exsactly what appears to be the VTC problem, that its the VTC problem, and not the timing belt. The guy im buying the car from most likely knows nothing about the VTC issue nor does his local mechanic.
Any info or suggestions?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well, if its bad vtcs u will know it...its very loud and annoying, it will turn the car into a ford f350 deisel sound wise...if the tensioners are going im not sure what the symptoms r, sorry
Old 12-19-2002, 06:37 AM

Oh yea, and one more thing. The car still has the stock timing belt, I am told. The guy I am getting it from showed me a paper stating that the noise is coming from the timing chain/tensioner. I am assuming that since the car does exsactly what appears to be the VTC problem, that its the VTC problem, and not the timing belt. The guy im buying the car from most likely knows nothing about the VTC issue nor does his local mechanic.
Any info or suggestions?
A lot of people/mechanics dont know about the VTC problem, so they are quick to blame the timing chain. Personally, I haven't seen many problems with the timing chain - if any. Its 90% the VTC's that are making the clatter on this car.

You asked about prices...again, that's hard to say.

DIY: Around $400??

Dealer: $1200 - 2000 depending on the dealer

Shop: $1000 - $1500

I know that doesnt really answer your question, but as you can see there are many different options.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 AM

The guy I am getting it from showed me a paper stating that the noise is coming from the timing chain/tensioner. Any info or suggestions?
I would question where this "paper" came from.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:40 AM

So what about the ground wire? WIll that fix the noise?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:13 AM
ShOwMaX

So what about the ground wire? WIll that fix the noise?
the answer is.......

SEARCH

Old 12-19-2002, 09:27 AM

Search...hmmmmm, wonder why I didnt think of that? Oh thats right, I did, and when I searched, all I got was contrasting statements on whether or not it would fix it. I would like to know the "true" answer.
IF you dont know the answer, I would appreaciate it if you would just not post anything negative at all. Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 09:40 AM

DIY parts alone if you pick up new VTC's (2) will be around $900.

Then add another 100 for the engine gaskets and there's your parts.

Then add whatever your local dealer mechanic charges for the job per hour (60-80). Multiply by the labor rate for this job according to Nissan at 10.5 hours and you should see the total anticipated damage.

2000 seems more like it if you go with the dealer. Or, do like me: I might short them out or run the engine until it stops, then junk the car..

I too am very dissapointed at the way Nissan has handled this issue, and will most likely pursue some of the best offerings from Honda and Toyota in the future..

Until then it's a mild annoyance that's not worth fixing again..

Originally posted by 5spd92SE

A lot of people/mechanics dont know about the VTC problem, so they are quick to blame the timing chain. Personally, I haven't seen many problems with the timing chain - if any. Its 90% the VTC's that are making the clatter on this car.

You asked about prices...again, that's hard to say.

DIY: Around $400??

Dealer: $1200 - 2000 depending on the dealer

Shop: $1000 - $1500

I know that doesnt really answer your question, but as you can see there are many different options.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:10 AM

I grounded the VTC. It didnt do it when I first started the car, just when it got a little warm. WHen I first started it, it was quite as a mouse.
Is it possible that the grounded VTC want fix it?
Im about to go to work and talk to the guy about buying the car so any info really fast would be great! Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 10:44 AM

Disreguard that last post, for some reason, it wasnt connected to good. It had just enough connection to give me a reading on my volt meter but not enough to ground fully.
I ended up hard wiring it and now have a full connection. I am letting the car cool back down and will try it again to see how it done.
Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:38 PM

So far so good guys. Turns out it wasnt connected that well to start with. It will do it for like a split second when I first start the car, and thats it. I just hope it stays gone. The guy would be ****ed if I told him it cost me like .02 cents to fix because I still had the connectors in my garage when I installed a T-rex fuel pump into my old supercharged mustang.
Does anyone know if these cars have timing belts, or timing chains? I looked at the normal maintinence and couldnt find anything about changing a belt at about 100K miles, or so.
Thanks!
ps, this is the best driving/riding car I have ever owned. I also own a 94 cobra/saleen and a 99gt saleen, both mustang and with plenty of mods. The 94 has over 29K in it, and the 99 has about 5K in it.
I cant wait to learn more about my new(to me anyway) Maxima!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:06 AM

So far so good guys. Turns out it wasnt connected that well to start with. It will do it for like a split second when I first start the car, and thats it. I just hope it stays gone. The guy would be ****ed if I told him it cost me like .02 cents to fix because I still had the connectors in my garage when I installed a T-rex fuel pump into my old supercharged mustang.
Does anyone know if these cars have timing belts, or timing chains? I looked at the normal maintinence and couldnt find anything about changing a belt at about 100K miles, or so.
Thanks!
ps, this is the best driving/riding car I have ever owned. I also own a 94 cobra/saleen and a 99gt saleen, both mustang and with plenty of mods. The 94 has over 29K in it, and the 99 has about 5K in it.
I cant wait to learn more about my new(to me anyway) Maxima!
VE = Timing Chain

VG = Timing Belt

Get rid of those domestics! Just kidding. Sounds like fun!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:32 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Slither I cant wait to learn more about my new(to me anyway) Maxima!
You said a mouth full, there's alot of little and big things that are common failures on the 3rd gens. The VTC being one of the bigger items. I don't think anyone knows for sure what the outcome would be while driving with bad VTC. Folks usually dump their cars for that reason or others. Personally, grounding the VTC's is not repairing them but it does help with the noise. It's like a engine with worn bearings, you put heavier oil to try a make it quieter but it's not repaired. Depending on your future plans/goal with the car, and your meechanical skills, replacing/rebuilding the VTC is the way to go. It cost me $300-400 in parts to rebuild my VTC (including H2o pump, rebuild kit, exh studs/bolts, various gaskets) and of course labor was free
Old 12-20-2002, 03:20 PM

From what I've heard, Toyota isn't that much better in terms of admitting problems and fixing it either. Certain year Camry's for example, has power lock burning out and jamming problem, and they try to deny it for the longest time. Their 3.0l V6 engine also have an oil sludge problem that they also refuse to acknowledge.

I've heard similar stories for other automakers too.

I guess no one wants to be reminded of their mistake and asked to pay for it!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Agamemnon
From what I've heard, Toyota isn't that much better in terms of admitting problems and fixing it either. Certain year Camry's for example, has power lock burning out and jamming problem, and they try to deny it for the longest time. Their 3.0l V6 engine also have an oil sludge problem that they also refuse to acknowledge.

I've heard similar stories for other automakers too.

I guess no one wants to be reminded of their mistake and asked to pay for it!
Yeah same thing for lexas, my uncle has an ES300, and sludge problems. He ended spending around $5000 with a new engine and install (that was getting hooked up) the engine supposedly came from cali. The car is a '97, now I think thats pathetic. But I have to say that he is a lazy a-hole b/c he gets lazy with the oil changes, when he got the car he couldnt get the oil filter on, so he leaves the filter on and just changes the oil, a few months must have passed before he got the filter off. Thats when he got the car, so he didnt know if the previous owner changed the oil or not.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:14 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Any info or suggestions?
A mechanic that heard my car ticking said the exact same thing. I ground the VTC's and the ticking went away. Odds are...it's the VTC's
Old 12-21-2002, 07:51 PM
1992 Maxima SE

week and half ago i got a '92 SE

when i was test driving it i didn't notice ticking but last few days i have.

i have done some research but i kind of want to make sure this is what im hearing, ticking is really rapid, i was imagining slow and loud for some reason...but what im hearing isn't, really all that loud from sitting in the car. And its only when i push on the gas for the first few minutes after the car has been started, no noise when idling. if i give the car around 10min of warmup no noises and drives fine.

Is this what he VTC's do...as in no noise while idling only while pushing the gas for a few minutes after starting...

noticed previous owner is using one of those orange fram oil filters are those any good? ive already picked up a pair of good nissan oil filters to use in the future.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:24 PM

Mine would tick at a really low rpm(idle) but it was very faint. When I reved the engine, it would do it loud as hell! Try grounding the VTC's and see if it goes away allmost as soon as you start the car. Mine will do it for a second and then be smooth as silk.
It took me about 2 minuits(if that long to do it) to ground the VTC.
Later man
Old 12-21-2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Menel
week and half ago i got a '92 SE

when i was test driving it i didn't notice ticking but last few days i have.

i have done some research but i kind of want to make sure this is what im hearing, ticking is really rapid, i was imagining slow and loud for some reason...but what im hearing isn't, really all that loud from sitting in the car. And its only when i push on the gas for the first few minutes after the car has been started, no noise when idling. if i give the car around 10min of warmup no noises and drives fine.

Is this what he VTC's do...as in no noise while idling only while pushing the gas for a few minutes after starting...

noticed previous owner is using one of those orange fram oil filters are those any good? ive already picked up a pair of good nissan oil filters to use in the future.
As for the noise your hearing till the car warms up... its is MOST LIKELY the exhaust manifolds... broken exhaust stud.. so i wouldnt wory about that.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by maxmaxima91

As for the noise your hearing till the car warms up... its is MOST LIKELY the exhaust manifolds... broken exhaust stud.. so i wouldnt wory about that.
Why wouldnt you worry about that?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by CandiMan

You said a mouth full, there's alot of little and big things that are common failures on the 3rd gens. The VTC being one of the bigger items. I don't think anyone knows for sure what the outcome would be while driving with bad VTC. Folks usually dump their cars for that reason or others. Personally, grounding the VTC's is not repairing them but it does help with the noise. It's like a engine with worn bearings, you put heavier oil to try a make it quieter but it's not repaired. Depending on your future plans/goal with the car, and your meechanical skills, replacing/rebuilding the VTC is the way to go. It cost me $300-400 in parts to rebuild my VTC (including H2o pump, rebuild kit, exh studs/bolts, various gaskets) and of course labor was free

that is about right for the rebuild kit. I rebuilt them and it lasted for about a month. i am going to buy brand new ones. i got quoted $832 for brand new vtc's and hopefully i will get them when i get my heads done.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Derek94SE

Originally posted by eric93SE

Yeah same thing for lexas, my uncle has an ES300, and sludge problems. He ended spending around $5000 with a new engine and install (that was getting hooked up) the engine supposedly came from cali. The car is a '97, now I think thats pathetic. But I have to say that he is a lazy a-hole b/c he gets lazy with the oil changes, when he got the car he couldnt get the oil filter on, so he leaves the filter on and just changes the oil, a few months must have passed before he got the filter off. Thats when he got the car, so he didnt know if the previous owner changed the oil or not.
I've just had the sudden urge to point out that Lexus is, in fact, made by Toyota, so it's probably the same people who don't want to admit their mistake. Just had to do that...

Old 12-24-2002, 10:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I know its kinda late, and this thread should be dead but OMG! I just grounded my VTC's tonight and those little bastards are irritating...especially mine which were at the point of chattering as I was driving down the freeway. I got tired of pretending I had a custom diesel 3rd gen.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:46 PM

The main reason I posted this post was so that anyone who does a search for VTC will come up with a worthwhile thread. Every search I tried came up with "try the search button"
Anyway, glad ya grounded them. I am glad I done mine, but I only went like a day before doing it. Hadnt even bought the car yet, lol
Old 12-27-2002, 02:34 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by latinmaxima that is about right for the rebuild kit. I rebuilt them and it lasted for about a month.
One month, damn that's the shortest I've ever heard a rebuild to last. I have to ask; Did you do the rebuild process correctly? I'm going on 10-12K on my rebuild and all is well. Anyway, good luck with your new VTC's
Old 12-27-2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by CandiMan

One month, damn that's the shortest I've ever heard a rebuild to last. I have to ask; Did you do the rebuild process correctly? I'm going on 10-12K on my rebuild and all is well. Anyway, good luck with your new VTC's
yeah a nissan master tech that i know did it for me. i think i didn't break it in right though. he said average a rebuild should go 30-40k though. i probably pushed it too quick. oh well.