3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

KYB Rear Shock Catridges

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 02:01 PM

KYB Rear Shock Catridges

Whenever i received my kyb cartridges i took out the whole rear strut assembly, but when i went to install the new kyb i couldnt screw the cap over the strut....we eventually had to sand down the metal cup on top of the strut....whats goin on here???? now my strut makes a clanking sound whenever i hit bumps.is my strut bad already????
Old 12-26-2002, 04:54 PM

Matt93SE our moderator, I believe knows why you have this clanking noise. It has something to do with the way you installed it. I would remove everything and re-install it again and make sure everythig is as tight as possible.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: KYB Rear Shock Catridges

Originally posted by Kenny's89SE
Whenever i received my kyb cartridges i took out the whole rear strut assembly, but when i went to install the new kyb i couldnt screw the cap over the strut....we eventually had to sand down the metal cup on top of the strut....whats goin on here???? now my strut makes a clanking sound whenever i hit bumps.is my strut bad already????
Are you absolutely sure you didnt get a new set of caps with the struts? If not you should have. The stock caps arent deep enough right. Sanding down the struts was not a good idea. Either that or there the wrong struts. When I did my tokicos I spent about 5 hours calling installers about why I couldnt get the caps over the struts. So here I am about 10 at night with my back end completely apart and no way to get to work the next day. My friend says "Are you sure the strut box is empty?" I said "Im sure" as I pick up the box and shake it, as soon as I hear the clink of metal I realise how stupid I really am.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: Re: KYB Rear Shock Catridges

Originally posted by Nismomaxt

Are you absolutely sure you didnt get a new set of caps with the struts? If not you should have. The stock caps arent deep enough right. Sanding down the struts was not a good idea. Either that or there the wrong struts. When I did my tokicos I spent about 5 hours calling installers about why I couldnt get the caps over the struts. So here I am about 10 at night with my back end completely apart and no way to get to work the next day. My friend says "Are you sure the strut box is empty?" I said "Im sure" as I pick up the box and shake it, as soon as I hear the clink of metal I realise how stupid I really am.
Yup he's right, you need aftermarket Gland Packing Nuts (that's the top cap thing). The stock ones won't fit over inserts. The best way is to contact the company you got the rear inserts from, and have them send you new ones.

We did the install without them because mine didn't come with them. I went to 3 shops to find a set that would work and eventually had to buy a pair of Monroe Sensa-Track inserts and use those Gland Nuts. Then I had to call Monroe and get a pair of replacement Nuts so I could get my money back. Lots of fun there.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:29 AM

the nuts are usually in a small bag taped inside the box, so when you first get the strut out, it doesnt fall out or anything...i was scared i didnt get mine too till i looked in the box again. of course they still went ahead and sent me the wrong strut for the driver side rear.