3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Idle Issues since shortly after Knock Sensor Job

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 01:59 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Idle Issues since shortly after Knock Sensor Job

Okay. Here's the deal. I followed RosenKen's instructions and did the knock sensor replacement.

At first everything was fine. But after about 400 miles of driving, my idle got very irratic. It was high before the job(around 1200rpm), but then it dropped to about 900 after the job. Then it got erratic.

When the car is cold, it fluctuates a very small amount between 900 and 1000. Then when the car warms up, it fluctuates between about 300 and 1000, and often shuts off. There are no noticiable driveability issues other than the idle.

I adjusted the timing some and that helped a little. But it still shuts off at low idle, like when I downshift to turn at intersections.

I have the FSM, and I have checked the vaccum lines to make sure that they are okay. I tried to follow the Idle Speed/Timing Adjustment Section in the FSM, but if I'm reading correctly, it requires some machine that I don't have to do the diagnostic.

Anybody have a clue?

My thoughts are:

1. The IACV. I cleaned the inlet, and the outlet to the TB. But I guess the valve might be defective. Don't know how to check any further without relaceing it.

2. Intake manifold gasket leak. I heard a hissing sound under the hood, but I'm not sure if it's new, might be normal, or might be the intake. I thought it was vaccum lines, but I checked those. Maybe it didn't seat properly after the knock sensor job. When I finished the KS job, I let the car run at idle for about 30 minutes, they I told it for a drive to "heat cycle" it as stated in the instructions.

3. I have bad muffler. My GReddy has recently expelled the stuffing out the tailpipe, and it just a hollow muffler with the center pipe rolling around in it. I'm not sure what effect if any that this has on the idle.

4. O2 Sensor. It was on the troubleshooting chart in the FSM, but I stopped in the troubleshooting procedure after I didn't have the machine they were talking about.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Idle Issues since shortly after Knock Sensor Job

I feel your pain. I'm going to try to clean the TB and the IACV tonight, maybe fix my exhaust leak which makes a super loud whistling sound BTW.... I have the same sh* idle. Stays about 1000 when cold then bounces around between a few hundred and 0. Really hard to try to ease the car around in a parking lot, and if I try to coast slowly, the erratic idle makes the whole car jerk back and forth like I don't know how to operate a clutch. Also irritating is the way it stalls when I'm going around corners and the thing dies and the wheel tries to fight back.. I have not done the knock sensor and I'm pretty sure the people before me didn't either, so I cant really blame that.

Originally posted by blackandwhite
Okay. Here's the deal. I followed RosenKen's instructions and did the knock sensor replacement.
<snip>

Thanks
Old 12-27-2002, 06:16 PM

Re: Idle Issues since shortly after Knock Sensor Job

Originally posted by blackandwhite

At first everything was fine. But after about 400 miles of driving, my idle got very irratic. It was high before the job(around 1200rpm), but then it dropped to about 900 after the job. Then it got erratic.

When the car is cold, it fluctuates a very small amount between 900 and 1000. Then when the car warms up, it fluctuates between about 300 and 1000, and often shuts off. There are no noticiable driveability issues other than the idle.

I adjusted the timing some and that helped a little. But it still shuts off at low idle, like when I downshift to turn at intersections.

I have the FSM, and I have checked the vaccum lines to make sure that they are okay. I tried to follow the Idle Speed/Timing Adjustment Section in the FSM, but if I'm reading correctly, it requires some machine that I don't have to do the diagnostic.

Anybody have a clue?

My thoughts are:

1. The IACV. I cleaned the inlet, and the outlet to the TB. But I guess the valve might be defective. Don't know how to check any further without relaceing it.

2. Intake manifold gasket leak. I heard a hissing sound under the hood, but I'm not sure if it's new, might be normal, or might be the intake. I thought it was vaccum lines, but I checked those. Maybe it didn't seat properly after the knock sensor job. When I finished the KS job, I let the car run at idle for about 30 minutes, they I told it for a drive to "heat cycle" it as stated in the instructions.

3. I have bad muffler. My GReddy has recently expelled the stuffing out the tailpipe, and it just a hollow muffler with the center pipe rolling around in it. I'm not sure what effect if any that this has on the idle.

4. O2 Sensor. It was on the troubleshooting chart in the FSM, but I stopped in the troubleshooting procedure after I didn't have the machine they were talking about.

Thanks
Check to see that your intake manifold seated properly, there could be a large vacuum leak in the back. Also check all the electrical connnections.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:38 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Re: Re: Idle Issues since shortly after Knock Sensor Job

Originally posted by Spipedong90
I feel your pain. I'm going to try to clean the TB and the IACV tonight, maybe fix my exhaust leak which makes a super loud whistling sound BTW.... I have the same sh* idle. Stays about 1000 when cold then bounces around between a few hundred and 0. Really hard to try to ease the car around in a parking lot, and if I try to coast slowly, the erratic idle makes the whole car jerk back and forth like I don't know how to operate a clutch. Also irritating is the way it stalls when I'm going around corners and the thing dies and the wheel tries to fight back..
Man, that's exactly what is happening to me.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dont know of any hissing in my car at idle, im guessing eric is right and u have a manifold leak...