3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

door hinges

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 01:43 PM

door hinges

can someone find me the post about door hindges it had courtsey partn numbers and instruction to install
id appreaceate it thanks
Old 04-01-2003, 07:48 PM

i'd like to know them too....my drivers door hinge is shot...

Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 05:44 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: door hinges

Originally posted by kingrye
can someone find me the post about door hindges it had courtsey partn numbers and instruction to install
id appreaceate it thanks
You mean there was a post on that??
Old 04-02-2003, 07:14 AM

Old 04-02-2003, 02:15 PM

ya whats so funny?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Actually, Ryan, I was serious... I think one of MY hinges is "off the hinge", so to speak. I didn't know someone even POSTED something about them previously...
Old 04-03-2003, 12:52 AM

yea i think craig jeff or matt said it was $20 a hindge and that you can remove the door with out taking off the fender and they also gave part number
Old 04-03-2003, 05:28 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Hmmmm.... sounds intriguing. Well, if you get any further info, post it. Otherwise, once they get the little 'issue' with my donation straightened out, I can search again.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:03 PM
AET

I replace my driver's door hinges the first week I had my Max. Had a friend who works at a local body shop help. You don't have to remove the fender. All you really need is a set of ratcheting wrenches, some seam seal, and some one to hold the door while you unbolt/re-attach the door. I guess you could do it with regular crescent wrenches, but it MUCH easier to do with a set that ratchets. You simply remove the center pin from that thin piece of metal that lies inbetween the two hinges, open the door as wide as it will go, and slip your wrench inbetween the fender and pillar. It's a real tight squeeze, but you can get a wrench in there. I removed the hinges from the pillar side first. After you've got the door off, unbolt the hinge from the door. After the bolts come off, you'll have to pry the old hinges off (they'll be stuck on there with seam seal). You will want to paint the new hinges before you do this, BTW. When you attach the new hinges, bolt them on to the body behind the fender first. You'll be able to see the exact positions of the old hinges be looking at the outline in the paint. Take care to put the new ones on in exactly the same positions, if you don't the door won't line up perfectly. After you've bolted the new ones on, make sure to put seam seal around the edges of the hinge. This stuff doesn't look great, but who looks in the door jam anyways? And w/o the seam seal, the chances of it rusting a alot greater. Anyways, this takes maybe 45 min. tops.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by AET
I replace my driver's door hinges the first week I had my Max. Had a friend who works at a local body shop help. You don't have to remove the fender. All you really need is a set of ratcheting wrenches, some seam seal, and some one to hold the door while you unbolt/re-attach the door. I guess you could do it with regular crescent wrenches, but it MUCH easier to do with a set that ratchets. You simply remove the center pin from that thin piece of metal that lies inbetween the two hinges, open the door as wide as it will go, and slip your wrench inbetween the fender and pillar. It's a real tight squeeze, but you can get a wrench in there. I removed the hinges from the pillar side first. After you've got the door off, unbolt the hinge from the door. After the bolts come off, you'll have to pry the old hinges off (they'll be stuck on there with seam seal). You will want to paint the new hinges before you do this, BTW. When you attach the new hinges, bolt them on to the body behind the fender first. You'll be able to see the exact positions of the old hinges be looking at the outline in the paint. Take care to put the new ones on in exactly the same positions, if you don't the door won't line up perfectly. After you've bolted the new ones on, make sure to put seam seal around the edges of the hinge. This stuff doesn't look great, but who looks in the door jam anyways? And w/o the seam seal, the chances of it rusting a alot greater. Anyways, this takes maybe 45 min. tops.
Good info and welcome to the ORG
Old 04-04-2003, 05:39 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by FASHIZL

Good info and welcome to the ORG
Definitely good info. This should go up in the FAQ section.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:10 PM
AET

Thanks guys, glad I could help. One thing I need to edit though. When removing the original hinges, unbolt the hinge from the doors first. I realized after posting that I had recommended removing the hinge from the pillar side first, but remembered that the door has to come off first to give you enough clearance inbetween the fender and pillar. Anyways, the rest of the post describes the procedure correctly.