3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima 91 audio active speakers system (New head unit installation)

Old 05-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 91 audio active speakers system (New head unit installation)

Hi,
I just bought a nissan maxima 1991. My first reaction was to install a new audio head unit with a cd player.

I did install it using an adapter patch, etc...

Everything is working except the rear speakers. If I understand correctly, the rear speakers are Active ones, with an amplifier feeding them ? Is that why I'm not hearing anything ?

If so, is the best idea to just bypass the amplifier and patch the correct wires on the speakers ?

Thanks,

David
Old 05-29-2003, 11:53 PM

That's what I did on mine, maybe or maybe not. Your amp may still work.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:04 AM
Tom

Re: Maxima 91 audio active speakers system (New head unit installation)

When I replaced the headunit on mine, the rear speakers were louder than the fronts as they were amplified. I bypassed the amp using jumper wires on the connector that plugs into the amp. Now when the fader is set at "0", I get equal sound distribution front and rear.

If you're not hearing anything at all, check to see that the harness is plugged into the amp (it's near the left rear speaker). To bypass, I just referred to a Chilton Manual wiring schematic.

Originally posted by Panzer
Hi,
I just bought a nissan maxima 1991. My first reaction was to install a new audio head unit with a cd player.

I did install it using an adapter patch, etc...

Everything is working except the rear speakers. If I understand correctly, the rear speakers are Active ones, with an amplifier feeding them ? Is that why I'm not hearing anything ?

If so, is the best idea to just bypass the amplifier and patch the correct wires on the speakers ?

Thanks,

David
Old 05-30-2003, 06:28 AM
Who?

Do you have the Bose system or not? If you do, I'd get an interface so your new headunit will use the amps. They're too good to pass up in my opinion.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No I have the Active speaker system with the amp by Clarion.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:33 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by jakew8
Do you have the Bose system or not? If you do, I'd get an interface so your new headunit will use the amps. They're too good to pass up in my opinion.
he said "Active Speaker" so that means no Bose. make sure the amp is plugged in!
Old 05-30-2003, 06:47 AM
Who?

Originally posted by jakew8
my bad. wasn't paying attention.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

But what about the color codes for the wires ?

How I figure out which one are coming from the HU to the amp and from the amp to the rear speakers ?

Everything is on the same wire strap with the connector to the amp (in and out)
Old 05-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

are the rear speakers still connected to the amp? if so that don't worry about back there, as long as it plugged in it should work fine. did you connect the speakers correctly up front with the HU and stock harness?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok. Lets get things straight.

I cannot use the amp because the rear speakers signal coming from my HU is already amplified. Also, I did not provide power to the amp because my new pioneer radio does not have the power cable to it.

So, my idea was to just bypass the amp and link directly the rear speakers cables coming from my HU on the amp plug directly to the cables going to the speakers. But I need color codes of something to help me decipher which cables are the right one on the amp cable strap (which like I said is In and Out (8 cables for the speakers + power for the amp) of theses 8 cables, 4 are coming from the HU, 4 are going to the speakers. I need to know which ones) ?

Everything is plugged the right way on my HU in the front, I used an adapter patch especially designed for the Maxima.

Panzer
Old 05-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Panzer
Ok. Lets get things straight.

I cannot use the amp because the rear speakers signal coming from my HU is already amplified. Also, I did not provide power to the amp because my new pioneer radio does not have the power cable to it.
I don't think thats true...my old Pioneer deck ran fine through the factory amp. check the fuse in the OEM amp maybe its blown! I think the factory amp is powered by the antenna so as long as you antenna goes up the amp will come on regardless.

but anyways try installdr.com for the wire codes, should be same as the HU up front
Old 05-30-2003, 10:12 AM

Mine did the same. This is how I fixed it:

After I installed my Pioneer HU, they did not work, and the rear Clarion amp has to be bypassed.

Matt93SE has a write up on his page.

Amp Bypass

Follow these directions, and you will be fine.

Thank Matt93SE for the instructions!

Dave
Old 05-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It worked ! Thanks Dave for the amp bypass document.

David
Old 05-30-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

I think the factory amp is powered by the antenna so as long as you antenna goes up the amp will come on regardless.
How would that work when playing cd's???
Old 05-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Who?

Originally posted by Gjohnson

How would that work when playing cd's???
Ok on most headunits, there is only one signal lead for amps. Thus, you have to splice this and tie it in to turn the factory amps on and raise the antenna. Yes, if you just do it that way, the antenna will go up when you play cd's. (The factory radio had two leads: separate antenna and amp.)

I put a switch inline with the antenna lead, though. It's just a plain radioshack switch and it lives in my ashtray. (no drilling or anything, just comes over the back. and no i don't use the ashtray for trash anymore.)

That way, when playing CD's I can keep the antenna down then raise it when I need it. (Local, high-powered stations won't require your antenna if you've got a good tuner in your headunit anyway.) Plus I can use the switch to raise and lower it real fast, which I have to do to get it to go all the way down sometimes.