3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bose audio...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 12:50 PM

Bose audio...

Hi everyone. I looked through the FAQ for info regarding the Bose audio systems, but none of the symptoms described seemed to really match the problem my system seems to have just acquired.

I have the Bose speakers with the factory tape head unit, and an aftermarket 12-disc Pioneer changer of 95 vintage. About 5 days ago I got in to go to work, and the radio sounded normal. After a couple minutes, the reception through the radio (stations and cd changer) became very fuzzy, and the volume dissipated gradually until you could hear almost nothing from the speakers, even with the volume at 100%. Later that day, I got in to go home after work, and it repeated these symptoms, but only for about half a minute, and everything was fine after that, sounding as it should.

These symptoms repeated in the same fashion for the next 2 days, and over most of yesterday (Saturday), it functioned very intermittently. The sound is VERY nerve-racking, sounding kinda like someone rubbing sand paper over the cones of the speakers, while at the same time messing with the antennae to distort reception.

Could this be an amplifier problem? Would the late-day heat of Phoenix, AZ partly explain why it sounded fine in the afternoon, but like crap in the morning? I haven't done any work to my car (other than washing it 5 days before this problem arose) in the last 2-3 months. I checked the wires in the trunk to be sure everything was fastened securely and it all seemed to be fine.

I know it's not the speakers because they still project sound clearly. I of course have the motor antennae...would that be a problem are? It still telescopes fine and is not jammed.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:01 PM

is it just the radio or does it fritz out on cds 2?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it could be the radio, fm modulator for the changer or one of the 2 antana adaptors its not the antana because the changer should still work i would take out the radio and bypass the changer and see if it happen on just the radio and go from there
Old 08-24-2003, 08:18 PM

It does happen on both the radio and when CDs are playing. Actually, the problem definitely has to do with the radio, since the changer simply broadcasts FM and the radio picks it up...it's not like the Changer is directly wired in to the head unit.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this with their factory tape or CD decks, and what they did to resolve it.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Slamnasty
It does happen on both the radio and when CDs are playing. Actually, the problem definitely has to do with the radio, since the changer simply broadcasts FM and the radio picks it up...it's not like the Changer is directly wired in to the head unit.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this with their factory tape or CD decks, and what they did to resolve it.
Sounds like the head unit. The antennae unlikely to cause this. Suspect a circuit board has flexed too much, causing intermittent signal loss. Heat could def cause chips to give dry joint problems. I've seen the exact same thing in a home stereo unit (it was cheap). By flexing the tuning board, the tuning circuit would work properly. Couldn't find the specific fault (poss IC chip) so ended up bracing the board with length of 1x1. Okay, may not help you here, but def suspect the head unit.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have almost the same problem on my '94 SE. The radio will be coming in fine and suddenly it sounds like all static and the stereo light flashes on and off alomost like the radio is trying to tune in the station but can't quite get it to come in. Could be a different problem than yours, however suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:24 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by timmylev1976
I have almost the same problem on my '94 SE. The radio will be coming in fine and suddenly it sounds like all static and the stereo light flashes on and off alomost like the radio is trying to tune in the station but can't quite get it to come in. Could be a different problem than yours, however suggestions would be appreciated.
Sure Wanna buy a used Bose HU?
Mine is being removed upgrading to an alpine and runnung new wires and amps etc.