3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine temp gets cooler the faster i go

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine temp gets cooler the faster i go

To make a short story long, sometime in July my engine just overheated (not to point where steam was coming out but enough for me to stop and let it cool down and then go home), when i took it to my mechanic he said that i had a lot of sludge that was clumped up around the thermostat and there wasnt good flow. So he took it out, cleaned out the sludge as best he could and told me to drive arround for a couple of weeks and then he was going to put a new thermostat in (I never did). Well the engine from that day forward has been running a little cooler than it did before even on a really hot summer day. Anyways, since its been getting a little colder out here in chicago lately as i drive my engine seems to run a lot cooler than normal ( i think normal would be the half way point on the guage.) yesturday i went out to milwaukee and on the way down i94 i noticed that (while going 75mph) that the guage was about 3 lil notches above the C so i decided to get the car to 115 mph and kept it there for about 10 miles the guage droped to below the C and the heat from my heater was as if i started the car 5 minutes ago from sitting all night.
It seams that when i am going more than 35mph consistently my engine temp drops and the faster i go the colder it gets... If i am sitting in traffic it stays at normal and my heater blows hot air. I have no leaks and I replaced all my belts and water pump in january, I just flushed out the coolent as i did since i bought the car a year ago, no leaks, radiator fans blow, proper amount of coolant, NO thermostat. its not the guage because i changed it back to my old gage cluster and got same result (cooler when going faster) and when its on C the blower air is cold.... when it on middle blower air is hot)
BTW the engie temp guage still says the same thing with or without the heater blowing.
Is this good or bad i cant tell but the car runs better cooler than it does when it at normal..... its only been doing this when it really cold outside like colder than 40 degrees.

thanks for any feedback.

1993 GXE
auto
105,000 miles
no mods except for SE guage cluster.

thanks
Old 11-10-2003, 05:32 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by hexs93gxe
To make a short story long, sometime in July my engine just overheated (not to point where steam was coming out but enough for me to stop and let it cool down and then go home), when i took it to my mechanic he said that i had a lot of sludge that was clumped up around the thermostat and there wasnt good flow. So he took it out, cleaned out the sludge as best he could and told me to drive arround for a couple of weeks and then he was going to put a new thermostat in (I never did). Well the engine from that day forward has been running a little cooler than it did before even on a really hot summer day. Anyways, since its been getting a little colder out here in chicago lately as i drive my engine seems to run a lot cooler than normal ( i think normal would be the half way point on the guage.) yesturday i went out to milwaukee and on the way down i94 i noticed that (while going 75mph) that the guage was about 3 lil notches above the C so i decided to get the car to 115 mph and kept it there for about 10 miles the guage droped to below the C and the heat from my heater was as if i started the car 5 minutes ago from sitting all night.
It seams that when i am going more than 35mph consistently my engine temp drops and the faster i go the colder it gets... If i am sitting in traffic it stays at normal and my heater blows hot air. I have no leaks and I replaced all my belts and water pump in january, I just flushed out the coolent as i did since i bought the car a year ago, no leaks, radiator fans blow, proper amount of coolant, NO thermostat. its not the guage because i changed it back to my old gage cluster and got same result (cooler when going faster) and when its on C the blower air is cold.... when it on middle blower air is hot)
BTW the engie temp guage still says the same thing with or without the heater blowing.
Is this good or bad i cant tell but the car runs better cooler than it does when it at normal..... its only been doing this when it really cold outside like colder than 40 degrees.

thanks for any feedback.

1993 GXE
auto
105,000 miles
no mods except for SE guage cluster.

thanks
You have no thermostat to regulate the coolant flow.
and it's normal (at least on my max) to be below the 1/2 way point on the tamp gauge.
Put a thermostat in and see how things go.
You Should notice more consistency with your temps

BTW update your profile so we know what car you've got.
oh and welcome to the .org
Good to see another "local"
Whereabouts you at?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You'll want that thermostat back in before it starts getting really cold, or you won't get much heat. Zero degree wind (or lower) blowing through that radiator will really cool down that fluid..brrr
Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
94MAXGXE

Yep, You need a new thermostat. My 94 did the same thing, cooled down to nothing at speed, stayed warm at low speeds. Cold running is very hard on the OIL, {lots of moisture ect:} change the oil and PCV valve with the new thermo!!!

Old 11-10-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by broncoguy
You'll want that thermostat back in before it starts getting really cold, or you won't get much heat. Zero degree wind (or lower) blowing through that radiator will really cool down that fluid..brrr
no kidding..i went through a whole winter thinking my car was bad a$$ with its cold running motor @ topspeed.....yet wondered why my heat was sporadic. changed thermostat and have superb heater.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the advice and i will get a new thermostat hopefully all that sludge that was there cleared it way out
i live on the northside where i94 and i90 split off
Thanks alot
Old 11-11-2003, 04:26 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by hexs93gxe
thanks for the advice and i will get a new thermostat hopefully all that sludge that was there cleared it way out
i live on the northside where i94 and i90 split off
Thanks alot
that's down about ciciero and lawrence ain't it.
that's pretty close to me I'm up in the lincolnwood / chicago / skokie / evanston area.
So is the store I work for.