3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bad O2 sensor symptoms?

Old 02-21-2004, 12:12 PM

bad O2 sensor symptoms?

What are the symptoms of a bad O2 sensor? I talked to a guy at napa auto parts, didn't seem to be the smartest at diagnosing a car. I asked him if my O2 sensor was bad. He asked when my car went through emissions test if it passed, and told him it passed with flying colors. So he said it probably wasn't the problem.

My problem is that I get sh*tty gas mileage, 17mpg on the highway with a 91 SE 5spd. The car is very slow before 2,500 RPMs. I am not sure what the problem is. I used fuel system cleaner, so maybe its a bad injector or 2. Who knows. Can anyone can help me please?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:22 PM

I don't know if you can exactly test out an o2 sensor. For bad mileage it can be many things that even a new o2 sensor might not fix. Since its not a bad thing to do to a car, I would start with a full tune-up which includes a new o2 sensor. If that doesn't fix it then I suggest to have the injectors serviced since Nissan is know of having a problem with their injectors. But most of the time its a tune up and that imporves the gas mileage greatly.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:42 PM

I have a question about the tune-up. Since the VE has coils instead of distributor and plug wires, and those coils are $80 each at the dealership, should they be replaced as well?

If not, do I just need the platinum plugs and an O2 sensor for a tune-up? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:50 PM

Well the coils last a much longer time, they need to be replaced if their resistance is out of spec or if they have cracks in them. I've seen coils with 200k on them without any problems. A full tune up includes for a VE;

-Platinum plugs by NGK $10.00 a piece
-Fuel Filter
-o2 Sensor
-PCV valve
-Air Filter
-Fluids changed, Oil and Tranny (don't have to but I like to do it to make sure everything is lubricated with new stuff).
Old 02-21-2004, 12:54 PM

Thanks D-sta! That's gonna be my spring break mini-project. And I agree with changing fluids during a tune-up.....I too like as many goodies working together to complement each other as possible!
Old 02-21-2004, 02:22 PM

You can test an o2 sensor. Dont ask me how though. Did it in vocational school 2 years ago and didn't pay much attention. Get you an ohmeter and ask around
Old 02-21-2004, 05:06 PM
mod or sell?

If the o2 has over 60k on it Replace it.
I sell them BTW
Old 02-21-2004, 06:07 PM

IAM, I just sent you a PM about parts
Old 02-21-2004, 06:57 PM
mod or sell?

Got it, I'll run the info on monday.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:25 PM

Aight! Thanks!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:08 PM

Well, on top of the bad gas mileage. It seems to be very non-responsive before 2.5K RPMs. When I have to merge into traffic running at 55 mph, I have to literally drop the clutch at 2-2.5K RPMs just so I am not rear ended.

I am not sure what is involved with a tune up, but this was replaced 4k miles ago when I bought it: fuel filter, bosch platinum spark plugs, plug wires, distributor, air filter was clean. What else do they do in a tune-up?

Also, back to my original question. What are symptoms of a bad O2 sensor?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:24 PM

bosch plugs are your problem, get some ngk plugs and try them.

put in a new o2, symptoms of a bad o2 can be a bad gas smell when running, funny idling. there maybe more, but thats what mine fixed, it also seemed to help a little mileage wise
Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5
Well, on top of the bad gas mileage. It seems to be very non-responsive before 2.5K RPMs. When I have to merge into traffic running at 55 mph, I have to literally drop the clutch at 2-2.5K RPMs just so I am not rear ended.

I am not sure what is involved with a tune up, but this was replaced 4k miles ago when I bought it: fuel filter, bosch platinum spark plugs, plug wires, distributor, air filter was clean. What else do they do in a tune-up?

Also, back to my original question. What are symptoms of a bad O2 sensor?
running rich is a possible symptom of bad o2. your symptoms seem beyond just mere tune-up fix-all.

sounds like you have fuel delivery problem in general. you may be leaking fuel from a cracked line where it goes into the manifold thing. i had that plus bad injectors. all of that will ruin fuel economy. so i replaced it all: O2, injectors, fuel line (soft line coming off hard line), fuel filter. no more gas smell (i had that), no more cutting out or dropping out of acceleration power. just smooth as silk running. engine is responsive and feels sweet.

i will warn that if you find an injector is bad, try to replace them all at once. it will not be cheap even if you do it yourself.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by D-sta
Well the coils last a much longer time, they need to be replaced if their resistance is out of spec or if they have cracks in them. I've seen coils with 200k on them without any problems. A full tune up includes for a VE;

-Platinum plugs by NGK $10.00 a piece
-Fuel Filter
-o2 Sensor
-PCV valve
-Air Filter
-Fluids changed, Oil and Tranny (don't have to but I like to do it to make sure everything is lubricated with new stuff).
Thanks, this is helpful for newbs like me. Do you, or anyone, know what's the difference for the VG tune-up?
Old 02-22-2004, 08:22 AM

Yeah....VG does not have coils, so you will also need a new distributor cap w/rotor and plug wires. Also have your ignition coil checked when you have the dist. cap taken off....often the connectors on those get oxidized. It is also a good idea to check the gasket on the cap to make sure it isn't letting moisture in.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:45 PM

Here is another symptom I am having. If I take the stick shift out of gear to start braking, the RPMs will jump down so low that I see a red light come on and off for a quick instance, almost like it was gonna stall. It did stall once though. It will do this all the time.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5
Here is another symptom I am having. If I take the stick shift out of gear to start braking, the RPMs will jump down so low that I see a red light come on and off for a quick instance, almost like it was gonna stall. It did stall once though. It will do this all the time.
hmm. does the car idle this way, too? has your timing been f$cked with by anyone? this sounds more like vacuum advance, TPS, timing problem. the car is either not breathing properly, not getting enough fuel, or not getting spark.