Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   how do I adjust 92 SE DOHC idle speed? (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/226352-how-do-i-adjust-92-se-dohc-idle-speed.html)

rzirker 05-02-2004 01:40 PM

how do I adjust 92 SE DOHC idle speed?

(Sorry Jeff, I searched through 7 or 8 pages looking for "idle", no luck)
My idle runs randomly but usually too high. At least 1000 and sometimes 1500-2000! My last 92 held at 750 rpm nicely. I want that again. Needs to drop off fast when I let go. Something need to be lubed? Any screw or cable adjustments that I can do? Thank you!
(who said I need a FSM?)

Maxima-4DSC 05-03-2004 03:56 AM

check the throttle cable adjustments on top of the manifold. then if you want to play with the idle adjustment there is a screw on the IAC if your on the drivers sive of the car facing the motor is to the leftside under the throttle body, try a search for idle air control there was a pic in one of the threads....

HTPerformance 05-03-2004 05:08 AM

On the right of the Throttle body there are two screws on the Throttle position sensor, loosen those and adjust either way, do it with the engine on, and you can tell which way it is going, just go all the way to the lowest, and tighten again....should be the thing you need.

Brian :thumbsup:

rzirker 05-03-2004 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1989MaxMan
On the right of the Throttle body there are two screws on the Throttle position sensor, loosen those and adjust either way, do it with the engine on, and you can tell which way it is going, just go all the way to the lowest, and tighten again....should be the thing you need.

Brian :thumbsup:

Thanks to you both! I'll give it a try.

Skyliner 05-03-2004 06:54 AM

Yup the throttle body

92 Max 05-03-2004 08:48 AM

Idle too high

Yes the idle speed is adjusted by the screw in the IAC. The IAC is a small cylinder with two large and two small hoses coming out of it. One of the large hoses comes from the side of the air snorkle between the throttle body and the air flow meter. The adjustment screw is on the side of the IAC facing the radiator.

One thing I noticed though is that if the air hasn't been purged from the coolant system the temp sensor is high and dry and the car stays on high idle. There is a bolt screwed into the top of the engine, in front of the throttle body, by the thermostat. Loosen it with the radiator cap off and the heater set to max heat, and air will vent out of the bolt hole. When coolant starts to come out tighten it. Take it for a ride and see if the engine idles down.

rzirker 05-03-2004 02:12 PM

Thank you guys! That was it. I got it down. A bear to get to the idle adjustment screw. Seem to be some weathered and cracking hoses down in there. Guess I'll go through them and change them out. Cleaned the throttle body too while I was at it, and capped the resonator. No difference that I can tell. Can't hurt. The idle was too clacky at 750 so I set it at 1000. Kind of high but the valves like it better.