3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing question. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 AM

Timing question. Need Help

Yesterday when I was changing my thermostat the distributor was begining to slow me down. so i took it off. unscrewd the cap and the thing that goes down this hole with oil in the bottom of it with a gear looking thing on the end. Well I took it off and took alot of other stuff out too to help me gain acess to the thermostat housing wich was not easy to get to in my vg30e. So after its all said and done with im putting everything back together, and go to start the car and it wont start, turns over slow, and also is turning over and jumping a little bit, but i played with the timing a little and now it just turns over really slow. Im thiniking my batter is dead cus the lights do dimm. Im charging it up now. But just incase the timing is off. How can i fix it or reset it without a timing gun?

also how hard is it to change the fuel presure regualtor in a vg30e? and also changing the injectors or manually cleaning them.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:58 PM

Someone F-ing Help Me! Shiyat!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
mod or sell?

three letters are all you need FSM
Old 12-21-2004, 01:36 PM

o thanks alot like i know what the heck that means or what to do or where to get fsm. thanks a bunch. im not a maxima god. I hate maxima's with a passion. i have had nothing but problems since the day i bought this dam thing. maxima's suck. as soon as i get thees problems fixed im selling this pile of crap. MAXIMA's are SLOW peices of junk. HONDA AND ACURA OWNS!

In other news WTF do I need to do to get my GD car running. You seem to answer every one elses questions to the T. Just do the same here. I have stuff to do tonight, and also have to get some xmas shopping done for the family.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by coreyblade
o thanks alot like i know what the heck that means or what to do or where to get fsm. thanks a bunch. im not a maxima god. I hate maxima's with a passion. i have had nothing but problems since the day i bought this dam thing. maxima's suck. as soon as i get thees problems fixed im selling this pile of crap. MAXIMA's are SLOW peices of junk. HONDA AND ACURA OWNS!

In other news WTF do I need to do to get my GD car running. You seem to answer every one elses questions to the T. Just do the same here. I have stuff to do tonight, and also have to get some xmas shopping done for the family.

What's that I hear? Off in the distance.......its the sound of the wahhhhhhhhhhhhmbulance.

You may very well have won the contest for "biggest whiner". If your car has so many problems, sell it or take it to a mechanic. I don't think anyone wants to help someone who acts stupidly and then is ungrateful about getting advice. Go buy a Honduh.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

if you had such pressing issues you needed to take care of...why would you mess w/ the car??

the distributor is no where near the t-stat...there was no reason why you needed to pull it off.

ok to answer your question...you need to bring the engine to TDC on cyl 1.
once you do that then you need to point the distributor rotor to the #1 cyl. standing in front of the car i *think it's about 7 o'clock position. once you do that insert the distributor and tighten the bolt down.

try starting the car...if it doesn't work...get back out. pull the distributor and clock the engine to TDC again. then remember the place where you put the distributor..try going 1 gear the other way. when you crank the car should sound like it's going to fire...(if you're close)

it's a HUGE PITA. FYI...most hondas and acuras run distributors. if you pulled it out of those engines you'll need to follow the similar procedure.

oh and change your attitude if you would like help from people..you don't pay us to answer your f-ups.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

HAHA! Geez man. You have no idea on how to repair your car and you blame others and the car for your inability to fix them??? Maximas don't suck. YOUR MECHANICAL SKILLS suck.

Buy a honda, go slow and go bug some other honda sites guys and demand they tell you how to fix your car.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I knew I'd help, but I dont so meh.

plus the post is too long for my short attention span
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM

well where i live no one will work on, or knows anything about any cars under 1995. where i live people only work on honda's, bmw, porches, acuras, ferarie's, lexus', and other high dollar cars. While all the rich people take showers in all there money in glory im stuck with this peice of crap 1992 maxima gxe that my parents bought me a long time ago. its all I can afford too. I also dont have a job so i cant take it to a mechanic, i tried to get an estamate and they said they prob cant fix anything on it because they dont work on maxima's because no one where i live has ever brought one in. they only work on fancy cars. i hate living where i live everyone is so stuck up and looks down on me all day for driving such and old peice of crap.

so im stuck with this thing working on it all night and all day by myself, none of my friends know crap about cars and no one i know even drives a car, they just bum rides off there friends with bmw's and use there parents new lexus suv.

also getting a job where i live in IMPOSSIBLE this time of year. I just got laid off because I was always late for work from fooling with my peice of crap car trying to get it to start.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:55 PM

when it comes to honda's i pretty much can tell you everything there is to know about every motor honda makes.
h series
b series
k series
d series
so on.
b18c1, b18c5
h22a, h23a, b18b, d16, d15, k20, k24,

i also know how to repair most of the problems honda's have because my cousin owns one, and my brother did too and I watched and helped them with everything. Honda motors are very simple.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:58 PM

arg ok I took some aderal and read your post

set the engine to Top Dead Center for Cylinder number 1 on the compression stroke. (take the spark plug out and turn it over until you get a puff of air, it will probably take some practice and anticipation). use the timing marks on the pulley and set it to TDC. Now turn the engine to the 15* mark. Line up the rotor to the terminal for cylinder #1, that will get you a ball park base timing. Car should run then. Break out the timing light and fine tune it from there.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:02 PM

also getting a job where i live in IMPOSSIBLE this time of year. I just got laid off because I was always late for work from fooling with my peice of crap car trying to get it to start.
life lesson time (coming from a 19 year old btw)

this time of the year is the easiest time to get a job. There are these things called seasonal employee's, any retail store will hire them.

late for work for messing with your car is your own fault. Most employers wont care if it is once or twice, but once or twice a week and I'm pretty sure you wont stay anywhere long. If you want something, you have to go out and get it aswell, cant wait for **** to fall on your lap, it wont happen.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 PM

corey, your on the wrong forums and whatever your smoking, quit it if you think maximas suck.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:08 PM

Honda motors are very simple.
all motors are very simple. They all need the same things to run. Once you understand that it all falls into place. A small ammount of deductive reasoning can go a long way when it comes to cars as long as you have the basic principles down.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:08 PM

when it comes to honda's i pretty much can tell you everything there is to know about every motor honda makes.
h series
b series
k series
d series
so on.
b18c1, b18c5
h22a, h23a, b18b, d16, d15, k20, k24,

i also know how to repair most of the problems honda's have because my cousin owns one, and my brother did too and I watched and helped them with everything. Honda motors are very simple.
Sounds like you are reading too much Import Tuner or whatever those magazines are called. Put those down and pick up a repair manual.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Shawn writing in complete and easily understandable sentences!

Originally Posted by MrGone
all motors are very simple. They all need the same things to run. Once you understand that it all falls into place. A small ammount of deductive reasoning can go a long way when it comes to cars as long as you have the basic principles down.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 PM

well where i live no one will work on, or knows anything about any cars under 1995. where i live people only work on honda's, bmw, porches, acuras, ferarie's, lexus', and other high dollar cars. While all the rich people take showers in all there money in glory im stuck with this peice of crap 1992 maxima gxe that my parents bought me a long time ago. its all I can afford too. I also dont have a job so i cant take it to a mechanic, i tried to get an estamate and they said they prob cant fix anything on it because they dont work on maxima's because no one where i live has ever brought one in. they only work on fancy cars. i hate living where i live everyone is so stuck up and looks down on me all day for driving such and old peice of crap.

so im stuck with this thing working on it all night and all day by myself, none of my friends know crap about cars and no one i know even drives a car, they just bum rides off there friends with bmw's and use there parents new lexus suv.

Dude....you have a lot of problems.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Shawn writing in complete and easily understandable sentences! :werd : :sprint :
I told you I would practice

now look at all these bandwagoneers
Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 PM

im a honda genuis stuck with a nissan.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:18 PM

thats quite a thank you
Old 12-21-2004, 06:31 PM
mod or sell?

he just doesn't realize how simple the maxima really is.
I hope he gets a nice 93 Civic VX, then he can start to really complain
Old 12-21-2004, 06:39 PM

nah i got my timing issue fixed. my brother came by and gave it a gander. all it needed was the gear to be repositiond or something. Also i want to get a 93 civic hatchback and pull the stock d series out and put in a b18c1 out of a gsr, or either a k20a swap. either way. I can do a full swap with just me and someone else as long as i have all the toold availible i can do it. all i do is read up on honda's and acura's and thats all my friends talk about
so in order for me to be half cool i have to know my stuff when it comes to honda's
im not allowd to talk about my car though cus they dispise maxima's
Old 12-21-2004, 06:46 PM

well where i live no one will work on, or knows anything about any cars under 1995. where i live people only work on honda's, bmw, porches, acuras, ferarie's, lexus', and other high dollar cars. While all the rich people take showers in all there money in glory im stuck with this peice of crap 1992 maxima gxe that my parents bought me a long time ago.
Are you serious? All this in Macon, GA? I've been to Macon and no offense, but never saw any kind of exotic car. Mostly just redneck trucks and stuff like that.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:47 PM

take this peice of advice, before you remove something, make sure you read the instructions on how to install it. It would have saved you this entire thread/headache.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:54 PM

thing is , with maxima's there are no instructions. i dont have a manual and no auto parts stores around here carry one. they have 2 manuals one for the ve motor and one for the OOOOOOLD *** 1985 maxima motor. so im **** out of luck.

and macon has developed alot since you have prob been here since u said it was all rednecks. im sure you were prob on the outer part of macon, but get into the part of macon near the mall and best buy and the zebulon road area and you will see what im talking about. nothing but stuck up rich snobby idiiots with 50k$ cars.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nah i got my timing issue fixed. my brother came by and gave it a gander. all it needed was the gear to be repositiond or something. Also i want to get a 93 civic hatchback and pull the stock d series out and put in a b18c1 out of a gsr, or either a k20a swap. either way. I can do a full swap with just me and someone else as long as i have all the toold availible i can do it. all i do is read up on honda's and acura's and thats all my friends talk about
so in order for me to be half cool i have to know my stuff when it comes to honda's
i really appreciate you wasting my time typing all that crap up.

u want to get a 93 civic? GET A JOB FIRST..then talk about getting other things.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:31 PM

Yesterday when I was changing my thermostat the distributor was begining to slow me down. so i took it off. unscrewd the cap and the thing that goes down this hole with oil in the bottom of it with a gear looking thing on the end. Well I took it off and took alot of other stuff out too to help me gain acess to the thermostat housing wich was not easy to get to in my vg30e. So after its all said and done with im putting everything back together, and go to start the car and it wont start, turns over slow, and also is turning over and jumping a little bit, but i played with the timing a little and now it just turns over really slow. Im thiniking my batter is dead cus the lights do dimm. Im charging it up now. But just incase the timing is off. How can i fix it or reset it without a timing gun?

also how hard is it to change the fuel presure regualtor in a vg30e? and also changing the injectors or manually cleaning them.

You are so F'd

Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 PM

its fixed. just have to figure out why my car has been idling funny for about 2 months now. i can put a peice of paper infront of the muffler and it blows solid and then a big burst of air comes out every few seconds and blows the paper up. any idead on what that could be.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 PM

its because you touch yourself at night.

now seriously, you've reached your question quota for the day, ask again later our heads are still hurting from what has happened in this thread thus far.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 PM
LvR

i can put a peice of paper infront of the muffler and it blows solid and then a big burst of air comes out every few seconds and blows the paper up. any idead on what that could be.
Had this problem for years before I discovered cardboard - changed to using about 400gsm quality stuff about 20 years ago, and have never since blown anything "up".
Old 12-22-2004, 04:38 AM

Then why don't you have a good paying job fixing hondas? FLAME THIS DUDE!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 AM

thing is , with maxima's there are no instructions. i dont have a manual and no auto parts stores around here carry one. they have 2 manuals one for the ve motor and one for the OOOOOOLD *** 1985 maxima motor. so im **** out of luck.

and macon has developed alot since you have prob been here since u said it was all rednecks. im sure you were prob on the outer part of macon, but get into the part of macon near the mall and best buy and the zebulon road area and you will see what im talking about. nothing but stuck up rich snobby idiiots with 50k$ cars.
there's a new thing out, called the internet... ever heard of it?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
Had this problem for years before I discovered cardboard - changed to using about 400gsm quality stuff about 20 years ago, and have never since blown anything "up".

LOL

LvR you rock
Old 12-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

damn even the n00bs are taking shots..
Old 12-22-2004, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
damn even the n00bs are taking shots..
yeah that's *got* to hurt
Old 12-22-2004, 10:53 PM

dude just leave him alone and direct him to a honda forum
Old 12-22-2004, 11:47 PM

So what does F-S-M mean Mr. Hondur Genius? Don't Hondurs have them too?

That's because they kept getting smoked in their Lexus SUV or Honduh Civics by maximas driven by drivers other than you. And they don't even own their own cars and drive their parents, how old are they? your friends are pretty F-ed too. you shouldn't hang with them as often.

I also dont have a job so i cant take it to a mechanic, i tried to get an estamate and they said they prob cant fix anything on it because they dont work on maxima's because no one where i live has ever brought one in.
LMAO, I can see why you got layed off. try doing something about that overnight cl2Ap smell in ur attitue.

Originally Posted by LvR
LMAO, LvR YOU ROCK!!

can't wait till u get smoked and left in the dust in your 93 Civic by maximas.

edit: Man, you're so scr00d even I have to take a shot. Seriously man. You need to rethink about what kinda friends you have and about yourself. until then, here you go...
Old 12-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Yourself

[QUOTE=coreyblade]well where i live no one will work on, or knows anything about any cars under 1995. where i live people only work on honda's, bmw, porches, acuras, ferarie's, lexus', and other high dollar cars. honda?? high dollar??? last one i was in FELT like a geo metro ... sure it seems fast ...cuz when your goin 30 its loud ,,vibrationy,,rattles,,wieghs like nothing ever criuse my first old caddy at 80...feels like your goin 40 ...you must like fellin like your in a wooden soap box racer when 30 feels like 70 i like used cars that someone paid big bucks for years ago ...took care of ,and sold for a huge loss when they couldnt afford to change the starter or somefin easy ...i also like quality materials ,sound deadning,standard features,room,power,style,exclusivity,non cheapness etc.etc.etc.....going and going and going im stuck with this peice of crap 1992 maxima gxe that my parents bought me a long time ago. they dont work on maxima's because no one where i live has ever brought one in. they only work on fancy cars. (so a highly trained mechanic isnt what...dumb enough for nissans?)maybe they just dont want to deal with "some peepholes"

at least you HAVE parents..... at least they BUY you a car

id like to hear you gripe if YOU got to /had to help out with bills or give YOUR mom money......ingrate

Old 12-23-2004, 01:42 AM

are you a red neck?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:18 AM

if this thread wasnt so abused I would claim it as mine

Quick Reply: Timing question. Need Help