3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Door keypad is failing...options??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 AM

Door keypad is failing...options??

Any opinions on options needed please.....

Here is the situation: my 93' GXE Maxima's driver side keypad on the door is failing (got to push real hard on the buttons if they work at all) unfortunately I do not have the door keys (I bought the car from my fiance and she has no idea where the door keys are) so my only way in right now is through the passenger side keypad (which is nice and springy!)

So I guess I have 3 options;
1. Fix the door keypad - can you do this? Are they fixable like you used to rebuild the Atari 2600 joystick controller(if you don't know what I mean just keep reading...LOL)
2. Get keys made for the doors - I have no experience in this area
3. Purchase a simple keyless entry system - Does not need to be fancy with alarm etc. just a $50 one, never hooked one of these up but I have wired up car stereos I imagine I should be able to handle it then?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I will eat your children

i think you can pop out the keylees pad and resoder it.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had that problem and asked dealer about it. Cost 80 bucks to replace one door side however if they install it then thatll be a biatch they got to take door apart and its expensive.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 PM

even if you do buy a cheap $50 alarm, installation is gonna cost u around 100-150... unless u know how to do it ur self, in which case i would recommend doing that
Old 01-23-2005, 06:10 PM

oh and how do u even get the car started then, if you dont have the key for it, since the keys for the doors and ignition are the same... hotwire?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by kpic
Any opinions on options needed please.....

Here is the situation: my 93' GXE Maxima's driver side keypad on the door is failing (got to push real hard on the buttons if they work at all)

So I guess I have 3 options;
1. Fix the door keypad - can you do this? Are they fixable like you used to rebuild the Atari 2600 joystick controller(if you don't know what I mean just keep reading...LOL)
2. Get keys made for the doors - I have no experience in this area
3. Purchase a simple keyless entry system - Does not need to be fancy with alarm etc. just a $50 one, never hooked one of these up but I have wired up car stereos I imagine I should be able to handle it then?

Any help is appreciated.
2. I am guessing that either you replaced the ignition key cylinder or the original keys and the ignition cylinder wore out evenly, whereas the door lock cylinders (never being used) did not wear and the keys do not work anymore.

I think getting the locks to work will not be cheap

3. Installing aftermarket alarm would be also expensive (labor-wise).

1. If I were you, I would swap the keypad from the passenger side door to the driver's side door (at least then you would be able to open the door from driver's side).

I purchased a set of four 3'rd gen doors and being they are GXE doors, they have the keypad. The rubber keys are bit worn, but I am guessing that the keypad (at least passenger side) should be fine. I was going to sell the keypads on ebay because I only need to replace the doors, but you want to buy them, I am willing to sell them $20 for both (shipping extra).

I have to figure out how to pull them out though. It's been too cold (to put it lightly) lately.

BTW, anyone know how to remove the window moldings? I need to paint the doors, and would rather remove everything and repaint it (have to do the window regulator anyway).
Old 01-24-2005, 05:24 AM

Hmm, thats interesting I did not know the key for the doors and the ignition were the same. The key I have now works in the trunk and the ignition since it did not work in the doors I just assumed there was another key for them, she always used the keypad to get in the car so the door cylinders are lets say "virgins".

I was thinking about switching the passenger side to driver side but I did not think they are interchangeable? It looks like the pad and the handle are all one unit. Or thats how I remember it to be, I'm in NJ as well and currently the car is covered by about a foot and half of snow......I gotta go dig it out now....
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 AM

usualy they key is the same (door = ignition), nissan can give your the original key for the car, asuming that the locks on the door are stock and fuctional that would be the cheapest way to go. I was able to get a key for my 97 sentra for like 5 buck, but the person on the title has to get the key form the dealership.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:21 AM

Hmm, thats interesting I did not know the key for the doors and the ignition were the same. The key I have now works in the trunk and the ignition since it did not work in the doors I just assumed there was another key for them, she always used the keypad to get in the car so the door cylinders are lets say "virgins".

I was thinking about switching the passenger side to driver side but I did not think they are interchangeable? It looks like the pad and the handle are all one unit. Or thats how I remember it to be, I'm in NJ as well and currently the car is covered by about a foot and half of snow......I gotta go dig it out now....
I think lalo is correct. The cheapest (depending on your dealer) method might be to ask a dealer to cut you a new key from either the key tag (that's teeny metal plate with numbers that came with the keys), or some dealers apparently are able to cut them from VIN numbers.

The dealer cut key would be the original "virgin" keys, so they would open the "virgin" locks and hopefully start the engine too. My '92 GXE's door locks also do not work with the keys because I used the door lock cylinder about 10 times since '92.

I am pretty sure that the keypad unit can be removed from the door handle. I have seen folks sell front door handles off 3rd gen GXE's with the keypads removed.

If I get around to it, I will try to remove the keypad off the new set of doors...
Old 01-24-2005, 01:58 PM

Put in door poppers!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:08 PM

Update: thanks to you guys in the thread I decided to try the key in the door lock again and bingo it works now! I just always assumed it was not the right key,it took a lot of wiggling back and forth (it was never used for ten years) but it seems to be working good enough to get in now. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Update: thanks to you guys in the thread I decided to try the key in the door lock again and bingo it works now! I just always assumed it was not the right key,it took a lot of wiggling back and forth (it was never used for ten years) but it seems to be working good enough to get in now. Thanks for all the help!!
Becareful when you use it though, on the passenger side of my '92, the dealer tried to force the lock cylinder with the key, and the cylinder broke.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 AM

speaking of keypads, anyone know how to diagnose complete keypad failure?
my pads have stopped beeping and functioning on both sides. funny thing, if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, give the keypad a push... it beeps once and never again. have been using the key for about 1 year now... would the control box behind the glove box be to blame?
is there a hidden fuse for the system?
any ideas?