3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Starting problem...

Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 AM

Starting problem...

after it rains. Anyone else ever experience this problem? I don't know what the deal is, but after it rains and only after my car won't start. But it's not the distributor. I replaced it and the cap. But if I disconnect my battery and reconnect them back it will fire right up. But you can smell gas like it's flooded too. I just don't get it.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 AM
what can my max do for me

when u say it won't start are u refering to a no crank situation or simply not firing?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:59 AM

it's the insane klowns haunting you becuz they krazay

Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
when u say it won't start are u refering to a no crank situation or simply not firing?
It will crank over but it just won't fire.
Also I forgot to add that I put in new plugs and a new wire set, as well as a cap and rotor and coil because it still had the factory ones on when I got the car.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by klown_phreak
Also I forgot to add that I put in new plugs and a new wire set, as well as a cap and rotor and coil because it still had the factory ones on when I got the car.
there ya go.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by klown_phreak
It will crank over but it just won't fire.
Did you get the wires back in the correct plugs?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 92 Max
Did you get the wires back in the correct plugs?
Yeah I got them on the correct ones. I done them one at a time to make sure I didn't mix them up, and then double checked to make sure.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:51 AM
mod or sell?

check your timing, you may have bumped it off a little when you changed the cap and rotor.
and just out of curiosity what plugs did you put in?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
check your timing, you may have bumped it off a little when you changed the cap and rotor.
and just out of curiosity what plugs did you put in?
Dealership wires.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:32 PM
mod or sell?

I said PLUGS not wires.
plugs matter more than wires
Old 03-28-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I said PLUGS not wires.
plugs matter more than wires
Oooops, sorry. I put in Bosch Platinums.
I checked on some NGK's the other day, our store is out of them and may not get them back in because they're isn't a big "call" for them around here. Indiana sucks :sad:
Old 03-28-2006, 04:41 PM
mod or sell?

get those plugs out ASAP!
find someone anyone who has NGKs
he|| go to the dealer if you have too.
you can buy them online Here if you prefer
Old 03-29-2006, 09:47 AM

Well, I was wrong about what plugs I put in. I have the Bosch Supers in. Right now I'm changing them to the Denso Iridiums. We didn't have NGK's and can't get them now, so I went with these for now since we have them.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

Even if the dist/rotor are new, it can allow moisture into it and prevent starting. It's probably not the plugs. Even the crappiest old plugs will allow the engine to start.

Next time it rains and the car doesn't start, remove dist cap and look inside for moisture.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Even if the dist/rotor are new, it can allow moisture into it and prevent starting. It's probably not the plugs. Even the crappiest old plugs will allow the engine to start.

Next time it rains and the car doesn't start, remove dist cap and look inside for moisture.
I done that last time it wouldn't start. But when I noticed they were the factory parts I decided to just go ahead and replace them. I mean 16 years, they have done their part lol. But anyway, when I removed the cap before and checked for moisture it was bone dry, I even sprayed in WD40 and wiped it out just to make sure. I think it's just something about my cables since it will fire if I take them off and clean them real good, but only doing it after it rains makes NO sense.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem. It seems to start fine when it is at ambient temp (Engine not running for a couple of hours). After it has been running for a couple of minutes, it will not start (it will crank like crazy, but not start). If it sits and cools down for a while, it will start.

One night I spent 4 hours trying to diagnose.

1. Started car and warmed up for about 10 min.
2. Shut car off. wait a couple of seconds...... No start, cranked strong for 5-10 seconds. Fuel smell is strong.
3. Wait for 5-10 minutes or so and crank again. After 2-3 seconds it will slowly start to fire and then start.
4. Shut off and crank again, starts fine. Several times in a row.
5. let the engine warm up for a few minutes. Same problem...Crank but no start and strong fuel smell.
6. Let cool down again. It will start, but usually after a couple of seconds of cranking before is slowly fires and then starts.

This same activity repeated 6 or 7 times in a 90 minute period.

Real World Test.

A. Wife starts car just fine in the morning and drives 1.5 miles to work.
B. Wife starts car just fine at lunch time (4 hours later) and drives 1 mile store.
C. Wife tries to start car 10 minutes later. NO START.
D. Brother looks at car and can not start the car even after 10 minutes. Tows car to the house.
E. I arrive home about 2 hours later, and the car slowly starts after about 3 -4 seconds of cranking.

The cars idle has also frequently been irratic at start-up and until the engine has properly warmed up. The engine would idle about 1300 to 1500 RPM and slowly come down to about 700 as it would warm up. The idle problem has been on-going for seveal months now, and may be a different problem. I did have a few bad vacuum lines, but I replaced those while I was waiting for the engine to cool down.

Weather does not seem to be the problem. We have not had enough rain in Oklahoma to fill a glass of water in the last 6 months.

Sorry this is so long. I wanted to give a s much info as possible.

Car- 1989 Maxima GXE

This problem seems to be heat related. Possible a sensor that breaks down when it gets hot. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator that is faulty and heat is doing something to it and making the fuel pressure dump to atmosphere causing the strong fuel smell.

Help me out if you can. Wife wants a new Maxima, but I am trying to wait for the '07 Maxima, and I am going to use this as my daily driver. My Dodge Cummins Dually is not a good daily driver. Great truck, but too costly to drive 100 miles per day.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any help on this?
Wife was stranded twice this weekend.