3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Painting Rims while on car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 09:12 AM
Getting back to his roots

I'm about to paint my stock SE rims, but I noticed on the can that it says to take the wheel off the car. I don't have a garage or access to a lift where I can take the wheels off efficiently. Is it ok to paint them on the car (and thus get some paint on the brake rotors)? Will the pads scrape the paint off when I start braking next? Or will the paint foul the brake system somehow?
Old 07-21-2001, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
I'm about to paint my stock SE rims, but I noticed on the can that it says to take the wheel off the car. I don't have a garage or access to a lift where I can take the wheels off efficiently. Is it ok to paint them on the car (and thus get some paint on the brake rotors)? Will the pads scrape the paint off when I start braking next? Or will the paint foul the brake system somehow?
how about this.... jack up the car and do one wheel at a time, or jack up the front and put blocks under it and do 2 wheels ata time.... i'd suggest having the tires removed before u do it
Old 07-21-2001, 12:28 PM

if your gonna go through the trouble of repainting them you should just do it the right way. take the wheels off the car and take the tires off. sand them down all smooth and then paint them.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:39 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

the slightest gust of wind will send a find mist of paint onto parts of your car....
Old 07-21-2001, 02:59 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

i'm curious as to what type of paint you are using? it is a special wheel refinishing type of paint or what? and let me know how it turns out.
Old 07-21-2001, 03:20 PM

Ghetto Style

So, taking the previous advice I was going to jack up the car and take off the wheels one by one and paint them. However, it turns out I don't have the tire iron needed to raise the jack and remove the wheels. Doh! So the project is on hold until next week. As for James' question, I bought white Dupli-Color Wheel Paint and Clearcoat from Autozone, and white sandable primer from a hardware store. I spent a few hours sanding the peeling clearcoat off with a coarse grit, then getting the rim prepped with finer grit (160?). I am going to prime with two coats, then paint 3 or 4 coats of white. The can of clearcoat says to wait a week after painting to clearcoat so that's my plan. Hopefully it'll turn out looking ok. Its much cheaper than a new set of rims / tires anyway
Old 07-21-2001, 08:26 PM
4 Maximas and counting

clearcoat

Can you get the clearcoat by itself?
I'm about to try polishing some wheels and was wondering about how to protect them, whether to take it to a paint shop for clearcoat or find some in a can.

any help appreciated

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
So, taking the previous advice I was going to jack up the car and take off the wheels one by one and paint them. However, it turns out I don't have the tire iron needed to raise the jack and remove the wheels. Doh! So the project is on hold until next week. As for James' question, I bought white Dupli-Color Wheel Paint and Clearcoat from Autozone, and white sandable primer from a hardware store. I spent a few hours sanding the peeling clearcoat off with a coarse grit, then getting the rim prepped with finer grit (160?). I am going to prime with two coats, then paint 3 or 4 coats of white. The can of clearcoat says to wait a week after painting to clearcoat so that's my plan. Hopefully it'll turn out looking ok. Its much cheaper than a new set of rims / tires anyway
Old 07-21-2001, 09:19 PM

ONe problem with waiting a week

If you wait a week to spray the clear coat onto the rims the brake dust might seep into the white paint enough to where you cannot clean it off. So be carefull and goodluck
BIGDOG
Old 07-22-2001, 10:34 AM

Re: One problem

Yeah, I thought about that cause my front brakes dust pretty badly. I think I am going to clean the front rims every day after I paint them to prevent that from happening. I used a wire brush to get the hardened dust off so any dust that accumulates now should be able to be removed with a wet rag and some patience.