3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is it safe to lower your stock maxima by 2.5 inches????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 12:31 AM

Old 08-27-2001, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by BeatJunky
who makes 2.5" lowering springs? i doubt cut stock springs would ride safely...unless it were strictly for show and you weren't to be driving around.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:06 AM

Someone was selling some cut off springs on the parts for sale thread which were to lower your car by 2.5 inches... It struck me weird. Since the price is pretty cheap for the set, I wondered if it'd be safe to actually ride your car this way.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:07 AM

Someone was selling some cut off springs on the parts for sale thread which were to lower your car by 2.5 inches... It struck me weird. Since the price is pretty cheap for the set, I wondered if it'd be safe to actually ride your car this way.
I am the person selling these springs. I bought these off Chris92gxe a month ago and he had them installed on his car without any problems.
I'll see if I can find his original email to me and see what he said about them.

-ila
Old 08-27-2001, 04:30 PM

Cool... Anyone else have any input... I might be interested in em if it's safe...
Old 08-27-2001, 04:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Let's see.

Lower by 2.5": I hope you have some camber plates becuase the camber result from that low of stance is gonna really play havoc on your suspension.

Buying/using cut springs: I cannot recommend anyone using cut springs, much less buying someone else's cut springs. Not safe. It may work and you may have 0 problems, but then again one spring may fail at 85 mph and you are in a ditch upside down.

Cool... Anyone else have any input... I might be interested in em if it's safe...
Old 08-27-2001, 08:17 PM

I had cut-factory springs that were about 2.5" drop. I do not recommend them for daily use. The ride is terrible, the springs feel like they are going to break apart, the camber is offset, honestly it isn't worth it unless your going for a show car look.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:35 PM

=(

Originally posted by SkyMax
I had cut-factory springs that were about 2.5" drop. I do not recommend them for daily use. The ride is terrible, the springs feel like they are going to break apart, the camber is offset, honestly it isn't worth it unless your going for a show car look.
Jesus, dont ever cut the springs on the car thats like stupid... who`s to say its gonna have zero problems? cutting the springs to have that soo low isnt worth messing up the suspension of the car... especially tire wear.. and ride quality and crappy ride and screwed up spring compression
Old 08-27-2001, 08:58 PM

Re: =(

Wish someone had mentioned all this before I bought these.
I knew they were low and probably were going to ride rough but for the price I was willing to give it a shot.
I guess I'll try ebay and if that doesn't work they'll just clutter up the basement.

-ila

Originally posted by mykizism

Jesus, dont ever cut the springs on the car thats like stupid... who`s to say its gonna have zero problems? cutting the springs to have that soo low isnt worth messing up the suspension of the car... especially tire wear.. and ride quality and crappy ride and screwed up spring compression
Old 08-27-2001, 09:36 PM
STFU n00b!

I recommend just throwing them away, not even hiding them in a box in the basement..

I've only got eibachs, and I can't even get a floor jack under my car, let alone if I drop it another 1.3"!!

I can't even get my oil changed at the quicky-lube, because my front sway bar bangs on the lip of the pit!
Old 08-27-2001, 10:07 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Damn right......

with my Sprints and STillen front lip...I had to go to a special performance shop to get my alighnment done since at rack at my mechanics shop is too high for the car and I was scatching the oil pan....DOOHH!!! but other than that clearance while driving and going over speed bumps has been no prob!

as for a floor jack, I think Jegs has the 21" pro-race ones that are very low to the ground, those might work on a lowered Max!?!?
Old 08-27-2001, 11:12 PM
STFU n00b!

There's several others out there that I can buy, but the whole point is the jack that had plenty of clearance before isn't even usable now.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:14 AM

Re: =(

Originally posted by mykizism

My cut springs were only used when I went to Car Shows so it was rarely driven while those springs were swapped. For the street & daily use, I had Suspension Technique lowering springs.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:11 PM

hehe

If i remember correctly. i think he said that the springs droped his car by 4 inches. i blew him off. but i think your cut springs are ST lowering springs and the cuts are made on the dead coil of the spring. not as bad as cutting the factory springs but i would not recommend it. good luck with that.

Patrick
Old 08-28-2001, 11:17 PM
MaximaSE91

I must post for this one, Buy a set of Suspension Techniques springs 1.5in drop cut one full coil of of the bottom and there ya have it a full 2.5in drop in the front no tuck but directly level with the fender put it on the alignment rack and guess what the camber just within factory spec do not cut the rears though, oh and the car rides just fine. no different than plain jane st springs.
Tires dont even wear the insides. just make sure you have it aligned after you do it. I've been like this for 2 yrs no problems yet.

Old 08-29-2001, 01:45 AM

ehh... its just me

Originally posted by MaximaSE91
I must post for this one, Buy a set of Suspension Techniques springs 1.5in drop cut one full coil of of the bottom and there ya have it a full 2.5in drop in the front no tuck but directly level with the fender put it on the alignment rack and guess what the camber just within factory spec do not cut the rears though, oh and the car rides just fine. no different than plain jane st springs.
Tires dont even wear the insides. just make sure you have it aligned after you do it. I've been like this for 2 yrs no problems yet.
its just me , but im a strong believer in not cutting Springs.. springs have a certain compression rate, and cutting them messes that up.... most springs like ST, Intrax only lower 1.75 , 1.50, so they say, but after you install the springs give or take about 2 months or so.. the springs will lower even more past 1.75 or so because the springs will settle in and lower them selfs.. so cutting springs when they are new.. or before installing is just a big no no in my book..
Old 08-29-2001, 08:12 AM
MaximaSE91

im gonna disagree there is what you call a progressive lowering spring or something more like factory spring, a progressive springs rate increases as it is compressed however a normal spring like the one st uses has a spring constant you can cut a coil and have no problems with ride, now.. i rolled my st springs for 6 months and have found 3rd gen fender gap annoying only on the front struts, i do not have a bouncy ride nor is my alignment out in anyway. eibach is a progressive rate spring and i would never ever cut them that can really make the ride hideous, sprints well I have never seen what a sprint spring will take the max down to. so 1. i dont cut factory springs there spring rate isnt high enough to handle it unless you want to be thrown out of the car.... 2. i dont cut progressive rate springs (you can tell if the coils get closer together).
there ya have it my lesson on suspension.

Old 08-29-2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by MaximaSE91
im gonna disagree there is what you call a progressive lowering spring or something more like factory spring, a progressive springs rate increases as it is compressed however a normal spring like the one st uses has a spring constant you can cut a coil and have no problems with ride, now.. i rolled my st springs for 6 months and have found 3rd gen fender gap annoying only on the front struts, i do not have a bouncy ride nor is my alignment out in anyway. eibach is a progressive rate spring and i would never ever cut them that can really make the ride hideous, sprints well I have never seen what a sprint spring will take the max down to. so 1. i dont cut factory springs there spring rate isnt high enough to handle it unless you want to be thrown out of the car.... 2. i dont cut progressive rate springs (you can tell if the coils get closer together).
there ya have it my lesson on suspension.
i really dont understood what u just said.. or maybe im too tired from work to think.. but i`ll take your word for it about the cut ST springs im sure with u actually driving on it and not all having a banged up ride..is cool but.. bottom line is never cut factory springs.., but i wouldnt really cut intrax, or eibach springs.. ive never handled sprint or st..
Old 08-30-2001, 01:57 AM

With my eibach springs I love the front look better than the rear. I wish the made the rear a little lower. I even have rubberband tires. I also scrape the undercarriage of my max all the time.