3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Automatic trans preventative maintinance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM

Just out of concern, I recall reading an article online about the life of standard transmissions for the 92-94 Maxima only lasting approximately 100,000 miles. Is this really the case if you shift properly? The article also mentioned that the life of these transmissions was "due to overenthusiastic driving."
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
Just out of concern, I recall reading an article online about the life of standard transmissions for the 92-94 Maxima only lasting approximately 100,000 miles. Is this really the case if you shift properly? The article also mentioned that the life of these transmissions was "due to overenthusiastic driving."

Do you have the url link to this article?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Tom

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94

You mean my transmission was supposed to break 90K miles ago?

My car spent the last 16 years fighting Seattle traffic as in constant stop and go, which is tough on any transmission. It still shifts today at 190K miles, like it did 10 years ago. Nice and solid.

I don't abuse the car, but I don't granny it either.

If you do proper maintenance (change/flush the fluid) and avoid neutral drops, the transmission will easily last beyond 150K - 200K miles.

The challenge now is finding a well-cared 3rd gen with good maintenance records.

It's pretty hard to find a 3rd gen now with less than 100K miles.

Cars with rebuilt transmissions can be a gamble too depending on how good the rebuild was.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM

LubeGard, Red bottle. I overkilled and went with RedLine D6 fluid too.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Tom
You mean my transmission was supposed to break 90K miles ago?

My car spent the last 16 years fighting Seattle traffic as in constant stop and go, which is tough on any transmission. It still shifts today at 190K miles, like it did 10 years ago. Nice and solid.

I don't abuse the car, but I don't granny it either.

If you do proper maintenance (change/flush the fluid) and avoid neutral drops, the transmission will easily last beyond 150K - 200K miles.

The challenge now is finding a well-cared 3rd gen with good maintenance records.

It's pretty hard to find a 3rd gen now with less than 100K miles.

Cars with rebuilt transmissions can be a gamble too depending on how good the rebuild was.
Exactly what I'm saying dude. It really pisses me off how people on this forum make the VG AT sound REAL REAL bad. Yes its weaker than the VE AT ok so what? My VG AT went to 174k before needing replacement and it was original. Only reason it went out was cuz of an AXLE SEAL MIS-INSTALLION and I made a thread about that. 174k out of an original tranny is good enough for me, yes could've gone longer but I was an idiot and didnt replace the seal right.

The thing that bothers me, as well as Gapboi is that people have 14-20 year old VG-ATs, never take care of the trans and then go talk crap about it on how bad it is. People should try taking care of it and moving on with life instead of critizing it how bad it is for not taking the abuse they give to it. btw my rebuilt trans is approaching 20k miles, better go get my flush done

Sorry had to vent out on all those talkers
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
never take care of the trans and then go talk crap about it on how bad it is. People should try taking care of it and moving on with life instead of critizing it how bad it is for not taking the abuse they give to it.
Amen, Brother. It is the rule... not the exception... that transmission fluid is neglected on most vehicles. It's just not thought about by most folks. I'm sure it's been covered somewhere else, but a quick refresher:

1: Transmission fluid doesn't get changed by most folks as often as it should, if it gets changed at all.

2: when most of those who do get their fluid changed: How much fluid does the transmission hold? How much actually drains out when you pull the plug or drop a pan (on other trans)? Ok... drive until the next change (when ever that is) and repeat. Is that how you would change your oil... leaving half or more of it in everytime you change it? Flush out the fluid when you change it... it's too easy not to do it.

3: With #1 and 2 in mind, heat kills trans fluid. Transmissions die from dead fluid. Hot weather, traffic, towing (maybe not in a Max), hilly driving, "enthusiastic driving" (and any combination) get the fluid hot and it doesn't last as long. If the fluid doesn't get changed often enough... neither does the trans.

4: Most of us here bought our Maxes used. With #1,2, and 3 in mind, let's buy a used car, not change the fluid, go out and see "what the car will do" (read "beat on") on a daily basis- or every other day- and then get suprised that the trans fails at less than 300K.

The trasmissions in my Brother's family's last two cars died prematurely. You couldn't get the 89 Accord to smoke or use oil at 200K no matter how hard you tried, but the trans died at 160K, and the '97 Chrysler minivan's died at 105K. (about $1100 each) He doesn't keep up with that stuff. I try to for him, but I'm busy too, ya know.

Last edited by JC93SE; 01-27-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 AM
mod or sell?

certain transmissions have inherent design flaws in them.
the chrysler you bring up is a great example.
chrysler designed it very poorly and never fixed the flaw so to this day you still have a very likely chance of throwing your differential pin through the trans case. that is regardless of how it was maintained. ford has /had a similar issue on it's equivalent transmission except it didn't throw parts through the case, it just won't move.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
i just bought one of those adn ima install it this weekend if it dosent rain too much..
Is it necessarily bad to install the VB mod on a tranmission where the clutches/bands may already be worn/overly used? Not saying Big's AT is on it's way out or anything, just asking. I was going to send my AT into a local tranny shop to do it, but they said it wasn't a good idea for a transmission that may already have clutches/bands in under-average condition.

Has anyone installed the VB shift kit on their tranmission without any major maintenance on it? (major = rebuilt/reman or whatever else)

Originally Posted by BlooToof
It really pisses me off how people on this forum make the VG AT sound REAL REAL bad.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by super32
Is it necessarily bad to install the VB mod on a tranmission where the clutches/bands may already be worn/overly used? Not saying Big's AT is on it's way out or anything, just asking. I was going to send my AT into a local tranny shop to do it, but they said it wasn't a good idea for a transmission that may already have clutches/bands in under-average condition.

Has anyone installed the VB shift kit on their tranmission without any major maintenance on it? (major = rebuilt/reman or whatever else)
They are correct,it would be pointless to upgrade the vb without first having the clutches/bands replaced..
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by Greeny
They are correct,it would be pointless to upgrade the vb without first having the clutches/bands replaced..
exctly it might shift better but you wont know because itl be slipping all the time

btw i do have that vb spring for the re tranny they sent me both springs, and i could send out the drill bit as well 5dlls shipped with a photo copy of the installation manual. you wont get the pump seals tho, im keepin those lol.

heres your tranny valve body info with the spring and where it goes.

the rl stuff in sin the 2nd gen forums.

Last edited by Big_E-Dog; 01-29-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 PM

What is the recomendation on a transmission flush vs. fluid change? Most of the people who have high mileage VG autos have had flushes. Wouldn't changing the fluid a few times close together have the same effect. My tranny has 114K, other than a slightly rough 1-2 shift(could be engine mounts, hope it is) would it be too late for a flush. Fluid has been changed twice in the last few months with no problems.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Donating member? what the?!

is replacing the clutches/bands the same as a rebuild? I mean, you'd have to break open the AT casing, right?

I was looking through TXchange's website and they actually sell a fully reman'd AT for about $1300, which includes the SK, i believe. What do you guys think? I was thinking, if I were to spend 1300, I'd rather go VE5.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM

new guy here....i drained the trans fluid on my '92 gxe thsi past monday. 3 quarts came out and three quarts went back in. Im going to repeat in about 3 months. Anyone know the total capacity of this transmission? BTW, my '92 gxe is pushing 140K
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by G3Karl
new guy here....i drained the trans fluid on my '92 gxe thsi past monday. 3 quarts came out and three quarts went back in. Im going to repeat in about 3 months. Anyone know the total capacity of this transmission? BTW, my '92 gxe is pushing 140K
7 7/8 quarts per factory service manual..

I suggest you change the fluid again much sooner then 3 months,depending on your driving habits/how much you drive,swap the fluid out again in a few days,or a week,then again in the same time frame, ending up at 4 changes in the end.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 PM

7 7/8 quarts per factory service manual..

I suggest you change the fluid again much sooner then 3 months,depending on your driving habits/how much you drive,swap the fluid out again in a few days,or a week,then again in the same time frame, ending up at 4 changes in the end.

I was thinking about doing that. I drive about 35 to 40 miles 5 days a week. I'll repeat tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 AM

I have a question on this

I'm a 21yr old kid in the bay area attending college. I recently wrecked a car about a month ago and now I'm in the market for another. I found a nice maxima but the only problem is the tranny is going out on it. I could goto the JY and get another for resonably priced the only problem is that I have never done anything this major before and I'm just thinking I'm biting off more then I can chew... I have no place to store it to work on it.... what should I do? should I just walk away and not buy it? it's 500$
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Mysticcal

I'm a 21yr old kid in the bay area attending college. I recently wrecked a car about a month ago and now I'm in the market for another. I found a nice maxima but the only problem is the tranny is going out on it. I could goto the JY and get another for resonably priced the only problem is that I have never done anything this major before and I'm just thinking I'm biting off more then I can chew... I have no place to store it to work on it.... what should I do? should I just walk away and not buy it? it's 500$
Don't bother with a used automatic trans from a j-yard,chances are it's in about the same shape as the one you are looking to buy..
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

ooooh hows the rest of the car, i would ask the seller what exactly he or she think it is, and what does it do to not work(slipps, shurs off engine in gear, ect.ect) then see how much a shop wants to fix it. if you had a place to store it i would swap it myself.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM
mod or sell?

walk away
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
walk away
I ended up buying the car. I'm excited

I got a shop to quote me at 570$ in labor if I supply the tranny, great guys, done work for me in the past at really resonable prices (problem is I would much rather have a new tranny if they still made them).. 1 more problem is, the car wont hold a charge. so add that to the list. as the car condition. it's amazing, it's just dirty... needs to be cleaned, I have pix of what the seller posted but i'll post some pix later today... I was able to shift through all the gears easily in my test drive, problem was it would switch into 2nd if i put it in second, but if i put it in drive it would just stay in first and not go any higher. I did hear some grinding while driving on the passenger side and I hope its the tranny and not a transaxle.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
mod or sell?

tranny = transaxle on a FWD application
ransaxle = Transmission and Axle in one assembly.

Last edited by internetautomar; 02-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM

tranny = transaxle on a FWD application
Ah, sorry, I had an 87 Subaru GL which was AWD, guess I just need to learn more.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM
mod or sell?

that is still considered a transaxle too. transaxle = Transmission and Axle in one assembly.
I had an 86 GL10 Turbo 4wd (AWD didn't arrive until 90 in the legacy). fun car with a turbo.
though I think my legacy is a bit more fun even w/o a turbo.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM

that is still considered a transaxle too. transaxle = Transmission and Axle in one assembly.
I had an 86 GL10 Turbo 4wd (AWD didn't arrive until 90 in the legacy). fun car with a turbo.
though I think my legacy is a bit more fun even w/o a turbo.
you're right, it was FWD with 4WD engage.. thanks for the info
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 PM

I ended up buying the car. I'm excited

I got a shop to quote me at 570$ in labor if I supply the tranny, great guys, done work for me in the past at really resonable prices (problem is I would much rather have a new tranny if they still made them).. 1 more problem is, the car wont hold a charge. so add that to the list. as the car condition. it's amazing, it's just dirty... needs to be cleaned, I have pix of what the seller posted but i'll post some pix later today... I was able to shift through all the gears easily in my test drive, problem was it would switch into 2nd if i put it in second, but if i put it in drive it would just stay in first and not go any higher. I did hear some grinding while driving on the passenger side and I hope its the tranny and not a transaxle.

Holy crap 570 in labor ONLY!!? just to remove and install a trans? when I got my tranny replaced it was 100 to remove and 100 to install the new one which was rebuilt.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Holy crap 570 in labor ONLY!!? just to remove and install a trans? when I got my tranny replaced it was 100 to remove and 100 to install the new one which was rebuilt.
eh, might be where i live (bay area) but i suppose i could call a few more places... thanks for the tip
Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 PM

eh, might be where i live (bay area) but i suppose i could call a few more places... thanks for the tip
The average shop in Chicago has a labor rate of $75/hour and they cannot charge taxes on labor. Pulling a trans at a shop shouldn't take them more than 1.5 hours, installing it should take a lil more but still $570 is a lil ridiculous for labor..IMO. Glad I helped a bit
Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
The average shop in Chicago has a labor rate of $75/hour and they cannot charge taxes on labor. Pulling a trans at a shop shouldn't take them more than 1.5 hours, installing it should take a lil more but still $570 is a lil ridiculous for labor..IMO. Glad I helped a bit

If anyone knows anyone in the bay area thats more reasonable to this price, let me know. they charged me 100$ to replace an axle in my GL and I thought that was good considering all the other mechanics in the yellow pages were charging 200-250
Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 PM

thats not too bad, I paid $190 to change an axle on my accord when I was 16 and didnt have the means to do it myself, note thats parts and labor though
Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM

On the subject of maintaning your tranny. Everyone clearly reccommends a cooler, but there are mixed replies on fluid. Nissanmatic seems to be ideal, but I read that only synthetic should be used with tranny coolers? Anyone have any advice on what to use?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 PM
mod or sell?

nissanmatic. it is a low ash fluid
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM

won't cause any problems if a I add a tranny cooler? Thanks for a straight answer, been looking for that for a while.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
mod or sell?

won't cause a problem if you add a trans cooler.
the only concerns I have regarding trans coolers is that the transmission is supposed to operate within a certain temperature range and a cooler will potentially cause it to run too cool or more accurately, not warm up fast enough for optimum efficiency.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM

trans flush question...
Hi guys!...this is my first post...I bought a gxe in 94...and love it. Found this forum last week which prompt me to get a trans flush ...as it only has 75k miles on the clock.

So i took it to the dealer...and was supprise that they did the flush but did not change the pan gasket and replace the trans filter???

On the invoice ...lists a something called a trans kit...from talking to service is only an cleaner additive...???

Good site...hope to learn more in keeping one of the best cars Nissan has made...

Starrider ...or Star

ps...if i posted this in the wrong place...not familiar with this forum yet...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Starrider
trans flush question...
Hi guys!...this is my first post...I bought a gxe in 94...and love it. Found this forum last week which prompt me to get a trans flush ...as it only has 75k miles on the clock.

So i took it to the dealer...and was supprise that they did the flush but did not change the pan gasket and replace the trans filter???

On the invoice ...lists a something called a trans kit...from talking to service is only an cleaner additive...???

Good site...hope to learn more in keeping one of the best cars Nissan has made...

Starrider ...or Star

ps...if i posted this in the wrong place...not familiar with this forum yet...
right place. (however the font tricks, they play with my mind, kinda like ALL CAPS, seems like youre hyper and talking fast, but thats my own opinion...)
Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
mod or sell?

a trans kit is typically a filter and gasket, but on the GXE the filter is deep within the trans and generally only replaced when the trans is rebuilt. The trans also lacks a lower pan like a normal trans.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM

so the tranny won't upshift past 1st, i have all the other gears... anyone have a clue what's going on? woulda kinda help in repair... still not sure if I wanna rebuild mine or buy a used one (rebuild is looking expensive)
Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 PM
mod or sell?

how can you have all the other gears if you can't upshift past 1st
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
LvR

+1
Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 PM

park, nuetral, reverse, and i think it's 2nd because I can get up to 25/35 mph at about 3k rpm

and of course switching to 1st manually causes a jolt in speed

Last edited by Mysticcal; 02-06-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic trans preventative maintinance.