3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The 12 sec VE Auto dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I am out of town right now. I will check it as soon as I get back in the office. I will be able to be REALLY certain on which parts will swap and which won't.

Thanks Hadley. Same here. I am pretty set on making a run at this. I know it's possible. So once the parts car or at least the engine is bought, it will happen some way or another.
well if there's anyone to do it, and do it RIGHT, it's you. Partly because you measure stuff relentlessly....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Aaron sorry to hear about the explode but extremely glad to see your staying with it.

The maxima community wouldn't be the same without dedicated people like yourself.

Good luck with your future project. I look foward to seeing the beast.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 AM

yeah that does suck that the engine died like that, but if you pull this VQ35 off I may have to step back into the maxima game, haha. i do miss my maxima.

good luck with it, ill be sure to check back in on progress.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM

if you make the vq35 work in here and still have use of all accessories you have a paying customer for the swap.....
Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 PM

One way to find out for sure if the VQ tranny will bolt up is to get the plate that goes between engine and tranny. It will have the bolt pattern built into it and be very cheap to get. This will tell you if you need to make a bell housing adapter or not. Also if the bolt spacing is different you can fix that with a custom drive plate. A worked VQ35 would be the ****, however working on the VE would mean lots of R&D in cam grinds and header design to get good power.

Not saying it can't be done but it won't have the torque the VQ35 would. Also it would be best to do all the internal modifications to the engine before it gets installed. I believe that if anyone does an engine swap, all gaskets/seals/O-rings/hoses/water pump should be replaced prior to install. Just think if you had a stand alone and some extra metal laying around you could make a stand to hold the engine and put it on an engine dyno. It would give you the convince of changing cams/exhaust/IMs easily, plus you can tune your stand alone WOT quicker while having better control of engine oil/coolant temps.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's MUCH better than completing the project and not ever getting around to organizing a write-up.

True true.

On to the predicament of your tran's, IMHO you would be much better off upgrading to the re4fofB, nissan went back to using the re4fo4A on some of the 2004 SL's, and what a **** show, those things don't take well to the 3.5

I know that closes some doors with regards to VLSD & tcm wiring, and makes it a PITA to swap the hubs over like that other guy, but think about the tourqe mang.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 PM

I say go for the 3.5 swap,so you can be the third member on the org with a 3.5 in a 3rd ten including myself and my bro monstorc28. A low 12 second car is a fast daily driver, I am going the fully built turbo route,just waiting on injectors,cams and pistons. My brother 3rd gen has intake,exhaust,headers,and y pipe. The car pulls really good even without vtc,but if you go the full rewire you are going to love it.

Vq power
Old 09-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by mmg23max
I say go for the 3.5 swap,so you can be the third member on the org with a 3.5 in a 3rd ten including myself and my bro monstorc28. A low 12 second car is a fast daily driver, I am going the fully built turbo route,just waiting on injectors,cams and pistons. My brother 3rd gen has intake,exhaust,headers,and y pipe. The car pulls really good even without vtc,but if you go the full rewire you are going to love it.

Vq power
were you guys ever gonna post videos of them going under power? revving in neutral is one thing.... tearing up some tires is another
Old 09-13-2008, 10:20 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
One way to find out for sure if the VQ tranny will bolt up is to get the plate that goes between engine and tranny. It will have the bolt pattern built into it and be very cheap to get. This will tell you if you need to make a bell housing adapter or not. Also if the bolt spacing is different you can fix that with a custom drive plate. A worked VQ35 would be the ****, however working on the VE would mean lots of R&D in cam grinds and header design to get good power.

Not saying it can't be done but it won't have the torque the VQ35 would. Also it would be best to do all the internal modifications to the engine before it gets installed. I believe that if anyone does an engine swap, all gaskets/seals/O-rings/hoses/water pump should be replaced prior to install. Just think if you had a stand alone and some extra metal laying around you could make a stand to hold the engine and put it on an engine dyno. It would give you the convince of changing cams/exhaust/IMs easily, plus you can tune your stand alone WOT quicker while having better control of engine oil/coolant temps.
With that tranny plate, it will only tell you if the lower bolts are the same pattern, right?

Why would I need a custom drive plate unless for some weird reason, the TC 4 bolt pattern is different?

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
True true.

On to the predicament of your tran's, IMHO you would be much better off upgrading to the re4fofB, nissan went back to using the re4fo4A on some of the 2004 SL's, and what a **** show, those things don't take well to the 3.5

I know that closes some doors with regards to VLSD & tcm wiring, and makes it a PITA to swap the hubs over like that other guy, but think about the tourqe mang.
Thanks. the RE4F04V tranny that's in my car right now is very similar to the 4th gen RE4F04A. So, what problems are the 04s having? Do they not hold up well to the VQ35 torque?

I don't mind if my current tranny dies. If it does, I will most likely have it built up.

Vq power
Thanks for stepping in. Is your setup any different than your brother's? I believe he has a 4th gen tranny with 4th gen ECU and swapped timing components, right? Then he made custom hybrid axles? Half 4th gen and half 3rd gen? Do you have the exact same type of setup?

Whatever info you can post, please do. What did you end up doing for motor mounts exactly? Any shortcuts? I was not going to worry about that until I had the engine sitting inside the bay. Then I would grab several motor mounts from the VE and 5.5 gen to see what might come close to working with the least amount of fabrication. Then, I'd see what it would take to make the 5.5 gen crossmember work on the 3rd gen. If none of that will work, then I would just make custom mounts without any polyurethane. Just lock the engine down completely! I don't mind at all.

Also, what PS pump are you using? I was hoping to be able to somehow make the stock 3rd gen PS pump work on the VQ35.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Ugh.. Sorry to hear about the dead engine aaron.. i am still waiting for my ve to do the same thing it has been clacking intermittently for over 100k now, so it is just a matter of time before i "experience' this issue i'm sure. No problem though, i have 336,500+ on her atm, so i really couldn't complain if it died today

I have access to a low mile ve at my local j-yard for $450, so blah if she goes, she goes
Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Greeny
Ugh.. Sorry to hear about the dead engine aaron.. i am still waiting for my ve to do the same thing it has been clacking intermittently for over 100k now, so it is just a matter of time before i "experience' this issue i'm sure. No problem though, i have 336,500+ on her atm, so i really couldn't complain if it died today

I have access to a low mile ve at my local j-yard for $450, so blah if she goes, she goes
you ought to nab it, that way, if yours DOES go, you already have it.
or you could build it up a little, in the mean time?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:17 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you ought to nab it, that way, if yours DOES go, you already have it.
or you could build it up a little, in the mean time?
Meh, it's been sitting there at that particular yard for years now, nobody around here gives a crap about these cars anyhoo 99% of the 3rd gens that die around these parts simply end up at the recyclers pretty quick, usually due to the price of scrap is quite high in my area= a non running 32000lb maxima @ sometimes $17 per 100lbs for scrap car bodies= $544 for a non running car!

The area i live in is bow tie/blue oval/dodge country for the most part, 15 year old imports hold little value as far as rebuild/restorations go. Which is good for me sometimes because of the j-yard availability of parts.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:45 PM

yea my setup is the same as my brothers, what we did was use the 4th gen axle with the 3rd gen part that enters the hub. the reason we did this is because we wanted to keep the ABS, we tried it with just the 4th gen axle but the Abs light was on so we just switch the ends. As far as the cross member( 4th gen - Up) goes we welded 4 bolts and nuts (24mm) we got from Home Depot to the body two at the bottom of the car close to where that bump his on the 3rd gen a few inches away from the original cross member bolt and the other two at the back where the back of the cross member meets the body. For the side mounts we cut out the side brackets that 8 points welded to the 4th gen- and then we separate them and weld them into the 3rd gen now the engine sits in the car like that's the way it was design from the factory.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:49 PM
mod or sell?

Also, what PS pump are you using? I was hoping to be able to somehow make the stock 3rd gen PS pump work on the VQ35.
stick with the motor's PS pump. it is very easy to have a custom hose fabbed up rather than fabbing a custom bracket for the pump.

I also HIGHLY recommend marking down every part# you use in a notebook so that when the time comes to replace something you have a record of what you need.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM

I used the vq PS pump.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:25 AM

the RE4F04V tranny that's in my car right now is very similar to the 4th gen RE4F04A
sorry to hear about ur car bro....but i m sure u will make a better car than before this time

where is code written for tranny on the tranny? instead of engine bay.....
Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by burhangondal
sorry to hear about ur car bro....but i m sure u will make a better car than before this time

where is code written for tranny on the tranny? instead of engine bay.....
it is only written on the firewall
Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy towing the Maxima back to NC.

yea my setup is the same as my brothers, what we did was use the 4th gen axle with the 3rd gen part that enters the hub. the reason we did this is because we wanted to keep the ABS, we tried it with just the 4th gen axle but the Abs light was on so we just switch the ends. As far as the cross member( 4th gen - Up) goes we welded 4 bolts and nuts (24mm) we got from Home Depot to the body two at the bottom of the car close to where that bump his on the 3rd gen a few inches away from the original cross member bolt and the other two at the back where the back of the cross member meets the body. For the side mounts we cut out the side brackets that 8 points welded to the 4th gen- and then we separate them and weld them into the 3rd gen now the engine sits in the car like that's the way it was design from the factory.
Thanks for the info. Do you or your brother have any pics to share of your setup? I'd definitely like to see how you made the motor mount.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
stick with the motor's PS pump. it is very easy to have a custom hose fabbed up rather than fabbing a custom bracket for the pump.

I also HIGHLY recommend marking down every part# you use in a notebook so that when the time comes to replace something you have a record of what you need.
Thanks. Will do.

I used the vq PS pump.
That's good to know. I assume you just had a new hose made? And did you use the VQ30 or VQ35 pump?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM

how is it coming?
is it coming?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by rteenie22
how is it coming?
is it coming?
Sorry for the late reply. This past weekend was a pretty busy one with the NWP East Coast Maxima Meet.

But nope, no updates just yet. I am still just getting all the info compiled and getting a master plan in mind before I first purchase the engine.

The 3rd gen still sits there dead.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks. the RE4F04V tranny that's in my car right now is very similar to the 4th gen RE4F04A. So, what problems are the 04s having? Do they not hold up well to the VQ35 torque?

I don't mind if my current tranny dies. If it does, I will most likely have it built up.
Exactly, they usually tend to get one of two symptoms that are kinda inherent to all RE4 failures, either dropping out of D at idle (Vehicle will not creep forward in D, acts like high-stall converter) or during the 1-2 shift it goes slip slip slip slip BANG when going from high to low tps mid-shift. At the least you would want (retain since IIRC you already have one) trans cooler, and slightly bumped up line pressure via the drop resistor, 330ohms FTW and by the time your car is back up I will have completed a mostly plug and play device for '9X-03's that will add the extra resistance only over 15-20mph so you don't lose your teeth in traffic. Preferably though you would want to ditch increasing the line pressure electronically and just install a trans-go in there, or swap out your valve body with one from maximum tuning, but really any trans shop can install the trans-go in your VB if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

Asides from all of that stuff, as well as suprastick, I don't know what else is out there for parts to beef up the a/t's asides from the high-temp/low-shrink seals that are also included in the trans-go kits. But if you come across anything else please let me know since once the back-up tranny goes into my moms a33b I'm going to find out where all those metal shavings are coming from in the current one and beef it up for a little project I'm still looking for
Old 10-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Turbo 3.5

sorry to here about the car, I too am a recent member of the blown motor club it cost me 600.00 to join
Old 10-01-2008, 06:14 AM
STFU n00b!

Preferably though you would want to ditch increasing the line pressure electronically and just install a trans-go in there, or swap out your valve body with one from maximum tuning, but really any trans shop can install the trans-go in your VB if you don't feel comfortable doing it.
IIRC, Jeff@ Maximum tuning already did his VB a couple years ago..
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Exactly, they usually tend to get one of two symptoms that are kinda inherent to all RE4 failures, either dropping out of D at idle (Vehicle will not creep forward in D, acts like high-stall converter) or during the 1-2 shift it goes slip slip slip slip BANG when going from high to low tps mid-shift. At the least you would want (retain since IIRC you already have one) trans cooler, and slightly bumped up line pressure via the drop resistor, 330ohms FTW and by the time your car is back up I will have completed a mostly plug and play device for '9X-03's that will add the extra resistance only over 15-20mph so you don't lose your teeth in traffic. Preferably though you would want to ditch increasing the line pressure electronically and just install a trans-go in there, or swap out your valve body with one from maximum tuning, but really any trans shop can install the trans-go in your VB if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

Asides from all of that stuff, as well as suprastick, I don't know what else is out there for parts to beef up the a/t's asides from the high-temp/low-shrink seals that are also included in the trans-go kits. But if you come across anything else please let me know since once the back-up tranny goes into my moms a33b I'm going to find out where all those metal shavings are coming from in the current one and beef it up for a little project I'm still looking for
Thanks. So you're saying that lots of people are already having tranny problems in their 02-03 Maximas with near stock engines?

I already have a trans cooler and a VB recalibration from Max Tuning. I got it done a good while ago through Matt (their tranny tech), which worked for Jeff. He did a GREAT job and fixed what the other guy couldn't.

Originally Posted by t6378tp
sorry to here about the car, I too am a recent member of the blown motor club it cost me 600.00 to join
This blown motor might cost me a tad more. I am estimating about $3K once it's all over with. I have a found a couple really low mileage engines I'd like to go with for around a grand. I would really like to get all the accessories included on a <25K mile motor for less than $1000. But I'll pay what it takes to get this car back on the road.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
IIRC, Jeff@ Maximum tuning already did his VB a couple years ago..
Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks. So you're saying that lots of people are already having tranny problems in their 02-03 Maximas with near stock engines?
No, on the '04 sl's with the ref04A mated to the VQ35.

I already have a trans cooler and a VB recalibration from Max Tuning. I got it done a good while ago through Matt (their tranny tech), which worked for Jeff. He did a GREAT job and fixed what the other guy couldn't.

I would assume the a/v valve bodies are different than the b's, but I don't know for sure.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so aaron if you reuse your VE tranny w/ the VQ converter housing.... what're you gonna do about that VLSD unit? I don't know exactly how stiff it should be but i put the axles in my car night before last and when the car is in gear, it's touch as hell to spin the tire against the VLSD... for you i guess you'd do that in park...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
NWP Engineering.com

No, on the '04 sl's with the ref04A mated to the VQ35.

I would assume the a/v valve bodies are different than the b's, but I don't know for sure.
Gotcha. The VBs don't really matter. I'll try to keep my stock tranny if possible. Thanks.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
so aaron if you reuse your VE tranny w/ the VQ converter housing.... what're you gonna do about that VLSD unit? I don't know exactly how stiff it should be but i put the axles in my car night before last and when the car is in gear, it's touch as hell to spin the tire against the VLSD... for you i guess you'd do that in park...
What VLSD are you talking about? I'll be keeping my stock tranny. All that will be swapped over is the TC housing and maybe the starter and speedometer pinion.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

What VLSD are you talking about? I'll be keeping my stock tranny. All that will be swapped over is the TC housing and maybe the starter and speedometer pinion.
remember at the dragstrip back in November (KDS) your VLSD wasn't working very well? you were doing 1-tire burnouts, as i got on video for you....
Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 AM
NWP Engineering.com

remember at the dragstrip back in November (KDS) your VLSD wasn't working very well? you were doing 1-tire burnouts, as i got on video for you....
The VLSD works, just probably not as well as it did brand new. The main reason I was only spinning one tire during my burnouts was b/c of the severe uneven slope that the waterbox was on. You know first hand how bad that track is. I have found out that I can only do a proper burnout in the left lane where the water box is perfectly flat. But in the right lane, only the right tire (the low side) will spin.

I won't worry about my VLSD right now. When the tranny blows, I'll worry about it then. It has 203K miles on it right now, which is pretty good with all the WOT runs I do. But we'll see how it handles the nitrous'd 3.5.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

The VLSD works, just probably not as well as it did brand new. The main reason I was only spinning one tire during my burnouts was b/c of the severe uneven slope that the waterbox was on. You know first hand how bad that track is. I have found out that I can only do a proper burnout in the left lane where the water box is perfectly flat. But in the right lane, only the right tire (the low side) will spin.

I won't worry about my VLSD right now. When the tranny blows, I'll worry about it then. It has 203K miles on it right now, which is pretty good with all the WOT runs I do. But we'll see how it handles the nitrous'd 3.5.
ah ok. yea that track did kinda suck, but I think i usually ended up in the left lane. Not that I was doing burnouts anyways cuz well..... almost-stock VG auto ain't terribly fast.

what are the LSD options in 95-03 VQ autos?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 AM
NWP Engineering.com

ah ok. yea that track did kinda suck, but I think i usually ended up in the left lane. Not that I was doing burnouts anyways cuz well..... almost-stock VG auto ain't terribly fast.

what are the LSD options in 95-03 VQ autos?
Infiniti I30's and Canadian Maximas have RE4F04V's with the VQ30DE. But, that doesn't matter. I want to keep my stock 92-94 Maxima RE4F04V tranny, which has a different bolt pattern than the 95-99 RE4F04 trans.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Infiniti I30's and Canadian Maximas have RE4F04V's with the VQ30DE. But, that doesn't matter. I want to keep my stock 92-94 Maxima RE4F04V tranny, which has a different bolt pattern than the 95-99 RE4F04 trans.
oh i know, i just meant what you'd look at as a replacement once your current VE tranny does blow up from all the extra power.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM
NWP Engineering.com

oh i know, i just meant what you'd look at as a replacement once your current VE tranny does blow up from all the extra power.
Oh, I will just have my current tranny built up. Hopefully, Rob with NRH will still be around when I'm ready.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Oh, I will just have my current tranny built up. Hopefully, Rob with NRH will still be around when I'm ready.
OH ok. And i guess if something goes horribly wrong internally and the casing or something irreplaceable like that is damaged you can always swap your valvebody upgrades over to your parts car tranny and have that built up by NRH instead, right?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 AM
NWP Engineering.com

OH ok. And i guess if something goes horribly wrong internally and the casing or something irreplaceable like that is damaged you can always swap your valvebody upgrades over to your parts car tranny and have that built up by NRH instead, right?
The casing usually is just fine when a tranny goes. But yes, I can reuse the upgraded VB and high stall converter once the tranny goes. They will just have to be fully rebuilt, cleaned and inspected since fragments go everywhere when a tranny dies. And it's better for Rob to build up the exact tranny that died so he can see which parts failed and try his best to strengthen them so it won't happen again.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Here are some part numbers between the RE4F04V 92-94 Maxima tranny compared to the 3.5 RE4F04B 02-03 Maxima tranny. And a few RE4F04A's from the 95-99 Maxima.

31340-80X01 - Entire Oil Pump Assembly on VE
31340-80X01 - Entire OP on 02-03 3.5 Maxima RE4F04B
31340-80X01 - Entire OP on 04 Maxima RE4F04A
31340-80X01 - Entire OP on 95-99 Maxima RE4F04A

31341-80X00 - Oil pump housing on 3.5 RE4F04B
31341-80X00 - Oil pump housing on VE

31300-80X00 - Torque Converter Housing on VE
31300-81X04 - TC Housing on 3.5 RE4F04B
31300-80X04 - TC Housing on 4th gen RE4F04A

31395-80X01 - Cover Side tranny casing for VE
31395-88X01 - Cover side tranny casing for 3.5 RE4F04B

31310-80X04 - Entire case assembly for VE
31310-88X00 - Entire case assembly for 3.5 RE4F04B

31100-80X05 and 31100-80x04 - TC for VE
31100-85x05 - TC for 3.5 RE4F04B

31366-80X00 - oil pump gasket on VE
31366-80x01 - oil pump gasket on 3.5 RE4F04B

31300-80X00 - TC Housing on VE
31300-81X04 - TC Housing on 3.5 RE4F04B
31300-80X04 - TC Housing on 4th gen RE4F04A

32710-M8000 - Seal Oring for Speedo Pinion for 3.5 RE4F04B
32710-14600 - Seal Oring for Speedo Pinion on VE

So the tranny oil pump assembly are exactly the same. But I haven't completely confirmed that the bolt pattern is the same on the backside of the TC housing where it meets the tranny casing.

Edit: I decided to clean this up a little bit and to include a couple more bits of info. The tranny oil pump assembly is exactly the same between the VE, 4th gen, 5.5 gen and the RE4F04As in the 6th gen.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 10-08-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Update to include more models
Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Last night, I scored a 4th gen torque converter housing. As soon as it arrives, I will compare the TC housing bolt pattern to the main casing of my VE tranny to make sure everything will bolt up. In the meantime, I have to pull the transmission off my parts car so I can easily compare patterns. I'm not ready to yank the tranny off my main broken VE just yet.

If this works, I will immediately start buying the parts I need to do this 3.5 swap. I just want to have a complete plan before I take the first step and buy the engine. This is getting exciting!

Update: Oh well, I didn't score a TC housing. Turns out it was cracked and couldn't be used. If anybody has one they can sell me from an old 95-03 tranny they have lying around, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 10-08-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM

This is getting exciting

Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Last night, I scored a 4th gen torque converter housing. As soon as it arrives, I will compare the TC housing bolt pattern to the main casing of my VE tranny to make sure everything will bolt up. In the meantime, I have to pull the transmission off my parts car so I can easily compare patterns. I'm not ready to yank the tranny off my main broken VE just yet.

If this works, I will immediately start buying the parts I need to do this 3.5 swap. I just want to have a complete plan before I take the first step and buy the engine. This is getting exciting!

Update: Oh well, I didn't score a TC housing. Turns out it was cracked and couldn't be used. If anybody has one they can sell me from an old 95-03 tranny they have lying around, please let me know. Thanks.
i'll prolly be heading to the JY this weekend... but i don't have any $$ right now but i can try and like, hide it in another car and get it next week? there was a 4th gen there last time i went
Old 10-09-2008, 09:45 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I got a converter housing thanks to pmohr! It should be here sometime early next week.

And just yesterday afternoon, I pulled the auto tranny from my 92 parts car so I can yank the converter housing and be ready to compare bolt patterns as soon as it arrives.

Here's the VE converter housing bolt pattern:

Here's the RE4F04A from a 4th gen:

Quick Reply: The 12 sec VE Auto dies