3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

intake manifold gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 PM

intake manifold gasket ?

Ok so I had to replace an injector maybe half a year ago. Ive had this whistling sound..I can't pull the thread out. if someone can search it for me, I think I titled it, high pitch whistling noise. or something along those lines.

Anyways the sound I notice started about around then but it never occured to me. I had my car at my cousins shop and he said he tested it for vaccuum leaks but found none and had no idea where the sound was coming from. So today I noticed the sound making a slightly different noise, and I got under the hood and played with the throttle and notice the sound change, it hadn't before. I sprayed something on the closest part to the throttle body on the intake manifold where it connects to the lower manifold, and low and behold, the motor acted different. I found the problem to this high pitch whistling noise.

Im going tomorrow to buy a new gasket. When I did my injector I used the old gasket and just threw some rtv sealant stuff I think, something like that on it when I put the IM back on.

what kind of sealant stuff should I buy ir I need any with the new gasket? And do I need to put the sealant stuff on both sides? im guessing yes...

and again, if someone could pull my old thread up so I could post under that one since Im addressing a previous problem I mentioned on here and I now have a solution for it, maybe others can find it helpful.

thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
Ok so I had to replace an injector maybe half a year ago. Ive had this whistling sound..I can't pull the thread out. if someone can search it for me, I think I titled it, high pitch whistling noise. or something along those lines.

Anyways the sound I notice started about around then but it never occured to me. I had my car at my cousins shop and he said he tested it for vaccuum leaks but found none and had no idea where the sound was coming from. So today I noticed the sound making a slightly different noise, and I got under the hood and played with the throttle and notice the sound change, it hadn't before. I sprayed something on the closest part to the throttle body on the intake manifold where it connects to the lower manifold, and low and behold, the motor acted different. I found the problem to this high pitch whistling noise.

Im going tomorrow to buy a new gasket. When I did my injector I used the old gasket and just threw some rtv sealant stuff I think, something like that on it when I put the IM back on.

what kind of sealant stuff should I buy ir I need any with the new gasket? And do I need to put the sealant stuff on both sides? im guessing yes...

and again, if someone could pull my old thread up so I could post under that one since Im addressing a previous problem I mentioned on here and I now have a solution for it, maybe others can find it helpful.

thanks
GOLDEN RULE: NEVER Use Old Gaskets Once You Have Taken Them Off.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure you don't apply anything to those gaskets. The OEM gaskets I bought were Ishino and metal. If you need the specific part numbers let me know. I applied a thin coating of engine oil to them when I installed them (upper & lower), but the FSM doesn't even say to do that. And yes, that golden rule is confirmed by the FSM. Anywhre were the circle with the X inside means replace when disassembling.

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 02-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM

so I wont need any rtv with new gasket? going tomorrow to the dealer, gasket is only like $7-8
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

No rtv, and no engine oil either..
Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Also, be sure to torque the intake bolts according to fsm specs.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:06 PM

so I wont need any rtv with new gasket? going tomorrow to the dealer, gasket is only like $7-8
yes, as greeny said...u don need to put anything with gasket jus clean the area where gasket gonna sit...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

related question, I am about to do the similar job listed above and have the gaskets. My question is, since only one of my injectors is out, can I get away with replacing that one with a good used one and not the others? Is there any way of testing the remaining injectors that are working to make sure they stay working for while, since by budget isn't enough to cover a whole new set? If I do have to replace more later, I assume I will need all new gaskets again.

And, all the gaskets were more like $55 plus tax, not $7-8, plus new O-rings.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 PM

depending if your pulling of the throttle body or not, you should only need the one $8 gasket for the upper intake plenum. As far as the injectors go. you can test them through the wire harness on the left side of the intake plenum. If your on a budget just replace the known bad one, and make sure you get the injector o-rings from the dealership, you will save yourself a headache using dealership o-rings.

you might be looking at the intake manifold gasket KIT. that comes with the lower manifold gasket as well which is the more expensive one. no need to take the lower manifold off for injectors.

The o-rings are like $1.50 each at the dealership or something like that. and much better quality than parts store o-rings

edit: just saw you have a 90gxe? I just noticed I never mentioned it myself, but I have a 92 VE. yours is different if VG

Last edited by maximaman1313; 02-08-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

You guys may want to replace those tiny hoses on the fuel rail if they are the original ones, since you already have the lid off - and you are paying for those gaskets. If you live in a cold climate like me, mine started bulging around the clamps and leaking fuel - and dangerous to catch on fire. Total cost was like $1.00 for those hoses.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
kthxbye2u

thanks
when does this sound occur?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM

the sound only occurs when the motor is hot.

so the website says the gasket is $8, I called today to check if they had it in stock and he said it would be a few days to ship and it was $16..
I have literally tried every auto parts store or dealership in my area and the closest upper intake plenum gasket I found was in georgia...why the hell is this gasket so rare in the northwest

well baxter autoparts has one but they will only sell it as a set for $80, I don't want to pay $70 for the lower gasket I don't need.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

That's strange - I just bought that exact gasket last week for $4.94. It's OEM and Ishino. Try partsbin maybe? Online Part# W0133-1639495

I just checked it's the same price in the US from them. Those guys have over a 300% increase!

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 02-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM

i already placed order with courtesyparts.com. they always seem to have the small stuff thats hard to get. like the sticker on the valve cover.

I would of ordered from Brian but he only offers as a kit too for $55 which is best price ive seen for the entire kit. but I only need the one.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM

I was trying to replace my front valve cover gasket on my 93 GXE, in which I had to try and remove the upper intake plenum from the engine. I got everything disconnected down to one hex bolt, and it ended up getting stripped!! I was so mad! I dont know what to do or how to go about fixing this striped hex bolt on the upper plenum, so I just put the car back togather. Anyone have any suggestions? Also thanks for the info about buying only the upper plenum gasket. I would have never known that you can only order 1. Everywhere I went, they told me its a whole set.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I was trying to replace my front valve cover gasket on my 93 GXE, in which I had to try and remove the upper intake plenum from the engine. I got everything disconnected down to one hex bolt, and it ended up getting stripped!! I was so mad! I dont know what to do or how to go about fixing this striped hex bolt on the upper plenum, so I just put the car back togather. Anyone have any suggestions? Also thanks for the info about buying only the upper plenum gasket. I would have never known that you can only order 1. Everywhere I went, they told me its a whole set.
get a bolt extractor kit, remove it.
then take it (Stripped screw)to teh hardware store, get a new one.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

If you know the exact bolt# according to the 94 FSM, I can tell you the spec on the bolt so you don't have to remove it in the parking lot just to show the guy. Only 2 of the bolts are longer than the rest.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM

yah, well I know it is the bolt that is the only one that sits in the middle of the plenum, it is kind of to the left of the criuse control cable in a small hole by itself.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yah, well I know it is the bolt that is the only one that sits in the middle of the plenum, it is kind of to the left of the criuse control cable in a small hole by itself.
http://boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/1994/em.pdf

bottom pic on EM-20
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 AM

yo its the #1 bolt.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR HEX BOLT #1:
Nissan #16163-V5204 M8X55

UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR HEX BOLT #10:
M8X35 12.9 Socket Cap Coarse Alloy Steel BLK

UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR HEX BOLT #2 to #9, #11:
M8X25 12.9 Socket Cap Coarse Alloy Steel BLK

LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR HEX BOLT #1 to #9:
M8X25 12.9 Socket Cap Coarse Alloy Steel BLK

Every screw uses a High Collar Lock Washer Bare M8

I bought the #1 bolt from Nissan by mistake - I didn't know you could buy these things so cheaply, so I paid them because I didn't want to return it and be a total ****. They will charge 4 dollars per bolt sometimes. These are very cheap fasteners, I suggest you replace all of them since my original ones were starting to strip where the hex goes. The exact one that stripped for you was the one that stripped on me. The M8X55 can be found in the BLK Alloy steel type. Get partially threaded if you can, but all of mine were fully threaded and they installed fine.

[I think all the bolts and washers for the top & bottom came out to 11 bucks or so]

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 03-11-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:13 AM

OK I will get the bolts from the dealer, thanks alot!!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:46 PM

I Finially got that bolt out that was stripped!! Now I will be removing everything on Monday morning to fix the leaking valve cover gasket! And while im at it replace those leaking only when cold fuel injector hoses! I was wondering if when the upper manifold comes off, does the gasket need to be replaced, or if its in good shape leave it alone? ??
Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

I would replace it because it's so cheap....but i've heard of people on this board that re-used the metal ones with no problems.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM

I Finially got that bolt out that was stripped!! Now I will be removing everything on Monday morning to fix the leaking valve cover gasket! And while im at it replace those leaking only when cold fuel injector hoses! I was wondering if when the upper manifold comes off, does the gasket need to be replaced, or if its in good shape leave it alone? ??
Do not reuse it, its not worth chancing a leak. Replace it with one from dealership, they have a raised rubber strip all the way around them. MAKE SURE ALL OF THE OLD GASKET IS OFFor you will do it twice like I did.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the advice!! I just happend to go to the dealership and purchase the upper plenum gasket for about $16, the day before I decided to tear down the car, by the way, it was a upper plenum gasket for a VG30e. I saw where someone said the gasket was only $8, they must be talking about the gasket for the VE30DE (SE) model, as they are 2 different intake designs. But as soon as I pulled the Upper plenum off, the gasket broke into about 5 peices!! I attempted to pull the front valve cover off, got down to one screw, well hidden under the distributor. Didnt really wanna mess with the distributor, but had no choice, so i marked it, lifted it out slightly, put the new gasket in both the manifold and valve cover, put it all togather, and what do i get?? a rough idle! It drives, and misses, but misses real bad at idle. Im thinking that the distributor is slightly off, anyone ever had this issue, it ran great before I messed with the distributor, any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the advice!! I just happend to go to the dealership and purchase the upper plenum gasket for about $16, the day before I decided to tear down the car, by the way, it was a upper plenum gasket for a VG30e. I saw where someone said the gasket was only $8, they must be talking about the gasket for the VE30DE (SE) model, as they are 2 different intake designs. But as soon as I pulled the Upper plenum off, the gasket broke into about 5 peices!! I attempted to pull the front valve cover off, got down to one screw, well hidden under the distributor. Didnt really wanna mess with the distributor, but had no choice, so i marked it, lifted it out slightly, put the new gasket in both the manifold and valve cover, put it all togather, and what do i get?? a rough idle! It drives, and misses, but misses real bad at idle. Im thinking that the distributor is slightly off, anyone ever had this issue, it ran great before I messed with the distributor, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Well Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, The car is running like a champ! At 211,000 miles I took everthing off and had it back on in less than 4 hours, and didnt pay anyone a dime to do it. What a great website!!