3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Battery keeps dying, why!?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by LvR
I normally do the bearings myself if its ok electrically, but if you dont have the tools or the inclination then its probably best to suffer the noise or replace with a guaranteed rebuilt/new unit - I would say your 14,5 V alty is electrically still usable for quite a while

No lubrication is possible because the 2 bearings are of a sealed design - ie - you cannot get oil in there even if you could reach them without stripping the whole thing and if you wanted to

Yeah, I've popped open a few of these alty's myself , the bearings themselves are not that hard to access, but resourcing the correct replacement bearings is where i had problems..I had a bad alty lying around with good bearings, but i lost track of it when i moved..
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Originally Posted by LvR
I normally do the bearings myself if its ok electrically, but if you dont have the tools or the inclination then its probably best to suffer the noise or replace with a guaranteed rebuilt/new unit - I would say your 14,5 V alty is electrically still usable for quite a while

No lubrication is possible because the 2 bearings are of a sealed design - ie - you cannot get oil in there even if you could reach them without stripping the whole thing and if you wanted to
Let's say I was willing to do the work and replace the bearings myself, what tools and schematics would I need and where would I get the bearings?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Yeah, I've popped open a few of these alty's myself , the bearings themselves are not that hard to access, but resourcing the correct replacement bearings is where i had problems..I had a bad alty lying around with good bearings, but i lost track of it when i moved..
So, if the bearings from the old alty are good, do you think I can swap them into the new alty and that should fix it for a while?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Let's say I was willing to do the work and replace the bearings myself, what tools and schematics would I need and where would I get the bearings?
If you have a bench vice to keep things steady it would be good, but you can get by without one.

Screwdrivers or small hex sockets (depending on specific alty) to remove the long retaining bolts keeping the 3 bigger portions of the alty together - the same for the regulator/brush assembly

Big spanner/socket to remove the pulley locknut

The difficult one possibly - Depending on amount of corrosion on the shaft you may need a puller to remove the pulley - the same for the bearings from the housing and also the bearings from the shaft.

Bearings are so cheap I wouldn't even consider swapping bearings from the known good alty at all - depending on the amount of care and also the corrosion on the shaft, most the time they will get damaged in the removal process anyway.

You need a bit of logic and a great deal of care to ensure you don't damage the brush assemblies on the regulator when removing/fitting
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
If you have a bench vice to keep things steady it would be good, but you can get by without one.

Screwdrivers or small hex sockets (depending on specific alty) to remove the long retaining bolts keeping the 3 bigger portions of the alty together - the same for the regulator/brush assembly

Big spanner/socket to remove the pulley locknut

The difficult one possibly - Depending on amount of corrosion on the shaft you may need a puller to remove the pulley - the same for the bearings from the housing and also the bearings from the shaft.

Bearings are so cheap I wouldn't even consider swapping bearings from the known good alty at all - depending on the amount of care and also the corrosion on the shaft, most the time they will get damaged in the removal process anyway.

You need a bit of logic and a great deal of care to ensure you don't damage the brush assemblies on the regulator when removing/fitting
Try your local bearing shop--see they yellow pages or ask your local autopart store for a reference. They have the bearings, tools, etc.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MRKANDA, did the problem got solved after the swap of alty? I have the same problem and should I change the alternator? , I figured out that one of the cables from the batt, when disconnected stops draining the batt. I don't know where the cable leads too.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Take it to a local Auto parts store or rebuilder where they rebuild alternators, starters, etc and have them test/charge the battery and test the alternator. Then you should be able to tell what you need. Sometimes a dead or dying battery won't give you the proper reading. So, unless the battery is new you might need to swap it out with a new one to properly test the alternator.

Of course the best way to test the alternator is to take it off the car and test it on the bench. It's not that hard to get off. You just need a ratchet and some 12mm and 14mm sockets and possibly a short extension.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Take it to a local Auto parts store or rebuilder where they rebuild alternators, starters, etc and have them test/charge the battery and test the alternator. Then you should be able to tell what you need. Sometimes a dead or dying battery won't give you the proper reading. So, unless the battery is new you might need to swap it out with a new one to properly test the alternator.

Of course the best way to test the alternator is to take it off the car and test it on the bench. It's not that hard to get off. You just need a ratchet and some 12mm and 14mm sockets and possibly a short extension.

Good luck.
No, the best way is to test it on the car with a meter and varying the engine RPM. I had an alternator on VE1 that worked fine at idle and 99% of the time. every now and then the dash lights (batt and brake) would kick on and then off. bench tested fine. tested fine on car at idle. I had the mechanic drive it back to my house (me in other car) and it did it again, car went back to the shop and the alternator was replaced. no problems until the city got the "car".