3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The official help me not burn my VE to the ground thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 AM

I have engine out now think the grounds were near the vtc solenoids weak connection bad wire i found it by getting shocked the ground for those coils have a lot of spark. Tonyjr and i are doing turbo setups i did a full rebuild with 8.5: pistons upon dissasembly of motor noticed hairline fractur in bank 1 eshaust camshaft put a lil pressure on it and snap now i have engine together and need that 1 cam u can message me i want it so name the price ... please and thankyou
Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 PM

James: (You're saying check the coilpack connections on the entire engine harness that I removed?)
No more so the coilpack terminals on the coilpacks removed!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 PM

James, The fuel pump fuse under the dash was the one I was referring to. It seemed to be sensitive to the slightest play. Just make sure the terminals are sqeezed together well and making good contact with the fuse prongs.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not sure about all of the details since a shop did the swap (I was worried about find ve parts, so I have 2-3 sets of a lot of stuff since my '93 has constant electrical problems). During the first few tests, the car showed good readings (we were using my VE as a benchmark) and everything turned out fine. All the wiring and stuff was spliced and they seem to be a professionally done job, but I'm not sure where the problems are coming from, so I decided to take a look here since it has the same issues as yours minus the stalling.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 AM

isolate it to fuel, air or ignition....
Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I chased a rough running issue which came out of nowhere. By pulling ignition leads I found that cylinder 4 wasn't firing. Spark was OK so I suspected injector. Resistance good I though maybe faulty harness. About to pull my hair out I started fiddling with fuses under dash and found a partially dislodged "Eng Cont" fuse. Pushing it in solved the prob. There were no error codes and pulling the fuse just stopped all action. I was unable to reproduce this behaviour! The only other issue I had years ago was an intermittent MAF Meter issue which was also hard to diagnose. Car is getting to 30 years old. When all is well (which is most of the time) it goes like new. I find the worst problems come from frail rubber & plastic bits which is a worry because there is a lot of that in the Max. The other problem is with capacitors in the electronics. In the end we might all have to revert to cars made from metal, like early Volvos or Datsuns. Or become wealthy and join the trow-away society.

Originally Posted by James92SE
I'm looking for ideas/input here on my black VE30DE. This will be long but I'll try to give all the backstory I can here (and a lot of it is also found here: https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-genera...ransistor.html)

A few years back I parked my totally perfectly running black VE to overhaul it ...
Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

No I still haven't figured it out. I also haven't messed with it much lately though. Constantly running into a brick wall over and over with it gets demoralizing and makes me lose motivation in it. It's so intermittent and random that it makes it very difficult to diagnose. I've only been driving it in spot duty the past few months and it has largely behaved. But then again I only drive it on short trips about 5-6 mile intervals so it doesn't have the time to act up for the most part.

Next on my mental list was to swap the IACV. Too lazy to do that at the moment though.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Lightly modded

Did this ever get solved? There was some serious troubleshooting going on here! To me it sounds like something related to heat soak that's affecting the whole engine versus an isolated cylinder. Do VEs have crank sensors, and if so, have you replaced yours? Have you ever done a legit smoke test to check for vacuum leaks?