3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

got the vtc fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:43 PM

got the vtc fix

Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 PM

By grounding the VTC's you are virtually eliminating the top end benefit of the VE. It's comparable to VG, but one that is sub par on the low end. Also, you probably aren't going to want to shell out all that money for the tune if your VTC's are grounded.

I would recommend you live with the VTC noise until you get around to rebuilding them. Otherwise you're sacrificing quite a bit of efficiency and power, which is counterproductive, considering you went to the trouble of turbocharging it.

Edit: After watching the whole video, you say you don't care about the power loss. Not sure if it's only 8 hp or not, but regardless, if you're going to nullify the variable timing, you might as well have a simple, sturdy old, reliable quiet VG with all that low end torque which will compensate for the lag. Plus, there's quite a bit more room under the hood. Turbo VE is cool, but not as much sans variable timing. So still, I think you should rebuild them, or live with the noise. James as well. Grounding VTC's should be more of a temporary fix, IMO.

Last edited by Hectic; 08-11-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 AM

Tell me something I don't know. Everyone in this forum knows it's a temporary fix. This video is just for the newbies. But thanks for your input. N u crazy for suggesting me too go with a vg. My ve is in great shape. Except for the vtc issue. Good compression, fresh front suspension setup, I did to much to start all over.

Last edited by TonyJr; 08-12-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:01 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Hectic
By grounding the VTC's you are virtually eliminating the top end benefit of the VE. It's comparable to VG, but one that is sub par on the low end. Also, you probably aren't going to want to shell out all that money for the tune if your VTC's are grounded.

I would recommend you live with the VTC noise until you get around to rebuilding them. Otherwise you're sacrificing quite a bit of efficiency and power, which is counterproductive, considering you went to the trouble of turbocharging it.

Edit: After watching the whole video, you say you don't care about the power loss. Not sure if it's only 8 hp or not, but regardless, if you're going to nullify the variable timing, you might as well have a simple, sturdy old, reliable quiet VG with all that low end torque which will compensate for the lag. Plus, there's quite a bit more room under the hood. Turbo VE is cool, but not as much sans variable timing. So still, I think you should rebuild them, or live with the noise. James as well. Grounding VTC's should be more of a temporary fix, IMO.
James has perfectly functioning whisper quiet VTC's on both of his VE's. James hasn't had to mess with VTC grounding for a good 6-7 years, maybe more, however long it's been since I sold my rusty VE 5 speed from Pennsylvania. James merely instructed Tony how to ground them

Besides, you can't even buy the correct rebuild kits anymore. The correct kits have a slightly taller/stiffer spring. Annoyingly, Nissan has them all labeled with the same part number so it's just luck of the draw as to whether or not the kit has the correct or incorrect spring. You have no way of knowing unless you actually open the box up and measure the spring. All the kits left in the country have the incorrect short spring (which will fail again within a few thousand miles). I know this because I had Scott at Courtesy Nissan order in Nissan's ENTIRE country-wide stock of VTC rebuild kits trying to find two kits with the correct tall spring.

A Canadian VE 5 speed member was able to get two correct sized rebuild kits. Perhaps Canada has some more stock, but there's definitely none in the U.S., unless there's some sitting un-inventoried in random dealership backrooms somewhere.

Anyway, 8-10 horsepower (or whatever it is) with the VTC ground is totally inconsequential when you're talking about 300+ horsepower with boost.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 AM

Yes there was stock in Canada a few years ago. I ordered 12 times getting 10 wrong size Vtc assembly...