Turbo VG swapped stanza - Page 8 - Maxima Forums

3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo VG swapped stanza

Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Boslet View Post
late 1989-1992. i thought i already asked but i think i was thinking of when i asked for the maxima parts. if anyone sees a stanza locally i would be eternally grateful for the lookout. reply on here or message me if you find anything. i live in 18042 btw

I think I might have found something for you. 1990 Stanza. Do you want it?

Darkwing48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing48 View Post
I think I might have found something for you. 1990 Stanza. Do you want it?

YES. message me please, thank you!
Nate Boslet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #283

i got the car pretty much 100% road ready, still burning off oil from the exhaust before i take it out of the garage but all of the gauges and everything is working now so i can get the car all the way warmed up and stuff and keep an eye on it and know if its going to be safe etc.

the lase gauge i have to sort out is the speedometer. ive been trying to source a speed sensor for a while now but i had this one from the auto trans i got off of that maxima a while ago but it didnt fit into the other trans, the diameter of the holes are slightly different so the first thing i did was put it in my lathe to turn it down. i knew i couldnt use this speed sensor without modifying it further anyway i just wanted to plug up the hole in my trans with it in the mean time if i decide to drive the car.

so after i did this i tested the fit and it does physically fit into the hole now but the oring is a little too tight for it to go all the way in so i need to relieve the oring more if its going to be a plug but next thing i wanted to see was how it worked and if i could use the electronic internals of this speed sensor and mate them to a mechanical speed sensor to have a working speed sensor for the stanza since a mechanical speed sensor is easier to get than the proper electric one. back to the lathe it went...

after i cut the groove all i had to do was twist a screwdriver in there and the top popped right off.

and here are all the major components of the speed sensor. its a pretty simple part, it appears to me to essentially just be a tiny generator, a permanent magnet spins inside of a cage that generates a voltage which is sent directly to the speedometer, so the faster it spins, the higher the voltage the higher the speedo reads. so the speedo is basically the same as a voltmeter.

ive ordered a speed sensor from another car that appears to be the dimensions i need and it might just plug right in and work, it was only 17 dollars so even if it doesnt work its not a big deal, ill just continue looking for the correct speed sensor i need and possibly get the mechanical one and mate these two together. that would be relatively easy to do from the looks of it and it wouldnt be very costly to do (unlike buying a new speed sensor which looks to be more like 250 dollars, it will be a cold day in hell when i spend that much on a speed sensor)

OR if anyone has it or if i can find it i was originally considering putting a digital cluster in the car which would allow me to use a mechanical speed sensor and a mechanical to digital converter. idk if that cluster would fit or how difficult that would be, i kinda dont want to pull the interior apart again since i just finally put it all back together the other night but if that ends up being cheaper or more reliable than my other options im willing to humor it. we will see. ill probably be test driving the car this weekend tho so videos of that are coming soon.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:04 AM   #284

I have never dissected a speed sensor. My guess is that it is probably more of a transducer than a generator.

But its good to hear that you are just about done. This has been one major project. Your ability to weld and machine your own parts has allowed you to pull this off. There's no way I could have done this. Cudos.
DennisMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
I have never dissected a speed sensor. My guess is that it is probably more of a transducer than a generator.

But its good to hear that you are just about done. This has been one major project. Your ability to weld and machine your own parts has allowed you to pull this off. There's no way I could have done this. Cudos.
i believe there are different kinds that would definitely be described as transducers, im not super educated on the terms and science and stuff all i know is this one generates electricity. i tested this one and the one i got in the mail and they both output AC voltage, i think around a whole volt just from turning it by hand. very cool little parts and amazingly cheap, i kind of wonder what else could be done with these things.

thank you for the compliment, im thankful i have the skills to do this stuff but i do wish i had more resources to bring the quality up a little bit (or a lot lol) but im definitely not anywhere near finished, i still have to install the MS1 in order to actually drive the car because right now it wont hold an idle below 1500RPM idk if i mentioned that earlier. im going to get started on that this week, ill be completely redoing the harness too so its all tucked and shortened and looking nice. while im driving the car i plan on getting started on the turbo headers as well and then putting all of that stuff into motion so theres at least 5-10 more pages of stuff for the car. im not sure when it will all be coming since im going to enjoy driving the car but then again installing all of the turbo stuff onto the car should realistically only take a day or two once its all done. the downpipe and intake pipe will probably be one of the only things i really need to do on the car but we will see. in the mean time ill be collecting parts and materials for that.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #286

finally got around to turning the stanza around last night so i could let it warm all the way up without filling the garage with exhaust and killing myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SH-...ature=youtu.be

it wouldnt idle below 1500rpm which makes sense without the AIC but i did this mainly to see if i could burn all the oil off of the exhaust which i nearly did and also to see if the cooling system was working properly and that is also working great. im pretty much positive there is air in the system and it still never made it to the middle of the gauge (of course it was also 20 degrees in the garage) to make sure i get all the air out of the system im gonna put a bleeder in the coolant neck which is the highest point in the system.

the oil pressure gauge seems to be working and it looks like my oil pressure is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgM...ature=youtu.be

so after doing all this i drained the coolant, pulled the intake manifold and the wiring harness to get everything ready for the MS1 install. i need to install some vacuum ports and the main coolant sensor in the intake and im going to thin the harness out further, rerout some stuff and loom it and it should be a lot cleaner when im done and ill be able to set my idle wherever i want. im hoping to have all of this done by next weekend at the absolute latest so hopefully another video of the car running really well will be coming next weekend.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #287

Getting all the air out of the VG engine was always a problem. Putting a bleeder in the filler neck won't help. Nissan's official policy was to raise the front end of the car 39 inches! I never did that, I just parked in my driveway that was a mild slope, definitely not 30 inches and less than my car ramps. You run the engine with the radiator cap off until the coolant stops bubbling. Be careful - the initial surge of air may blow coolant out into the air.

A bleeder port was added in later production, 93 and 94. It was a bolt screwed in on the right side of the engine, the firewall side as the engine sat in the car.

I'm looking for a photo. If I can find it, I will post it.

EDIT.....

I couldn't find a photo but I found a thread that sort of describes the location.
Read posts 7, 8, 9 & 10 - maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/203147-bleeding-coolant-system.html

Last edited by DennisMik; 02-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
Getting all the air out of the VG engine was always a problem. Putting a bleeder in the filler neck won't help. Nissan's official policy was to raise the front end of the car 39 inches! I never did that, I just parked in my driveway that was a mild slope, definitely not 30 inches and less than my car ramps. You run the engine with the radiator cap off until the coolant stops bubbling. Be careful - the initial surge of air may blow coolant out into the air.

A bleeder port was added in later production, 93 and 94. It was a bolt screwed in on the right side of the engine, the firewall side as the engine sat in the car.

I'm looking for a photo. If I can find it, I will post it.

EDIT.....

I couldn't find a photo but I found a thread that sort of describes the location.
Read posts 7, 8, 9 & 10 - maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/203147-bleeding-coolant-system.html
the reason i was going to put the bleeder there is because that location is the highest point of my cooling system. the stanza is a 91 and as far as i know never had an issue like that with the heater core but ill look into it more. do you know exactly where the air is likely to get stuck? i can bleed to car on a slope too thats not really an issue for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:10 AM   #289

I had a 92 vg max and there was actually an 8mm bleeder screw on the top right side of the intake manifold. Looking forward to seeing everything go smoothly and you getting the stanzima out for a good run ☺ Just curious. Did you ever happen to get the window switch and parts you were looking for?

Last edited by ac max 92; 02-06-2018 at 06:12 AM.
ac max 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac max 92 View Post
I had a 92 vg max and there was actually an 8mm bleeder screw on the top right side of the intake manifold. Looking forward to seeing everything go smoothly and you getting the stanzima out for a good run ☺ Just curious. Did you ever happen to get the window switch and parts you were looking for?
i havent yet but hopefully soon.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #291

did some of the intake mods today, dont have a bleeder yet and im not sure im going to need it now but we will see i guess. i started off drilling and tapping the hole for the GM intake air temp sensor in the coolant manifold in the intake. this plug's gotta go.

it was REALLY in there.....

once i put the correct size socket on it and threw a little heat at it she did me a favor.

drilled

tapped

sensor installed

all said and done. plenty of room and functional.

i also turned up a bung for the intake air temp sensor. i forgot to grab the pie cut intake pipe thing the other night (along with a lot of other stuff ill have to get later today..)

i stripped the harness a little bit, got rid of all of the stuff i know im not going to need. i have to bring it back to the car to get all the circuits cut to length but after thats done ill probably be able to finish the harness by friday and get everything ready to go back in the car this weekend like im aiming for. ill try to take plenty of pics of that process for the next update since theres going to be a lot to go over.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #292

made my trip back and grabbed all the stuff i needed. welded the bung into the intake pipe thing.

so initially i was going to put the ecu in the glovebox like i did in the z, but the glovebox in the stanza is kinda small, it didnt really matter when it was just the MS1 but im also going to run an ignition box (not really because i feel its necessary, its definitely not, but i have it and its not going back in the z so why not. plus it makes wiring easier.) so i need space for that too. i noticed the ignition box is almost the exact same size as the TCM and what better place to keep my ecu than the stock location? so thats what im gonna do. ill have to modify the brackets quite a bit for them to hold everything but once its done it will occupy essentially the same space as the stock stuff did so i get to keep my glovebox im never going to use. yay.

heres the MS1 which is almost the same length as the stock ecu but about half as wide.

heres the stock ecu as you have seen it before. the auto trans control module bolts onto those tabs with a little bracket thats where the ignition box will go, ill take more pics when i do that tomorrow.

and here is the ignition box. its going to be mounted vertically and the MS1 is going to be horizontal in relation to this picture. again ill show what i mean tomorrow, the mounting stuff shouldnt take much time at all.

i put like 4 hours into the harness today, everything that goes on the intake is done, ive taken a few pics but im gonna try to get the harness completely finished before i make a post about it. its not super complicated so there wont be too much to go over but theres gonna be a lot of pics. im gonna run up to the garage tomorrow afternoon to get all of the lengths locked in so everything fits perfect and then i should definitely be finished by the weekend and see if the car runs with all this crap.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #293

In July I'm going to my brother's in Lansdale. Maybe I'll sit out on his porch and watch you drive by.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #294

had a couple holdups this week so im a little behind but i got the harness mostly done. should be totally finished pretty soon after i go pick up some stuff.

i had to rerun almost everything cause nothing was the way i wanted it and a lot of the joints were done kind of poorly. if i had a kit to redo the pins and stuff on a full piece of wire and stuff i would have but anyway this is how it looks about half way through on one side:

then fully finished with loom.

other side done, i know the tps pins are ****ed, im going to redo them at some point, they are just the only pins i have right now and they worked fine before so they should survive until i can get to the junkyard and grab new ones.

loomed up the split.

i had to bring the harness back to the car to make sure my lengths were still right and everything was going to fit up the way i needed it to, i cut some of the wires off and made sure the ecu was going to fit in the space the stock ecu was (it does) once i got that all straight i could pretty much finish this end of the harness, i still need to run a ground strap through and maybe one or two other things but its gonna look basically the same it will just have one more wire branching out.

so ill do the main plug, the brackets for the ecu and ignition box and maybe put it all on the car tonight and see if i can get some inputs and stuff to light up, maybe even give it a crank (probably not but we will see lol)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #295

got the mounting bracketry banged out earlier. first i needed to make a plate that will take up the space of the stock ecu and give me something to mount the megasquirt to. i had this piece of scrap lying around that was almost the perfect width and already had a bend in it.

i made up a plate to mount the ignition box that ill replace the tcm plate with.

cut the brackets off of the old plate so i could reuse them.

then i tacked them onto the plate. you can see the other panel i bent up, i thought i took other pictures of that before i welded it on but apparently not.

initially i expected to need a whole bunch of fasteners for this but i realized i that 1. i dont have any that would be good for this application and 2. i have no real reason to take this stuff off of the bracket unless its completely leaving the car entirely... so i opted for rivets.

the ignition box

and the MS1, as you can see that plate wasnt quite wide enough so i had to add a little extra onto that part.

assebled and ready to be installed.

i didnt get a chance to run out and get the stuff i needed today so the harness is gonna have to wait till tomorrow but hopefully ill be able to get that done and then finally get this stuff all thrown back onto the car.