3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo VG swapped stanza

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 04:47 AM

Any new updates? Still hoping you have everything completed this summer. Looking forward to some vids of the worlds first stanzima
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 PM

This is Wild!
Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 PM

whatap bros. sorry i wasnt around the car for a while.

i was having some weird voltage issues and found some settings that had apparently defaulted to nothing selected at all. for some reason im not fully sure of the voltage issues went away after i rerouted and reconnected the grounds for my gauges which are in a completely separate circuit than the ecu but i guess there must be something thats shared in there im not remembering idk or care cause now that those things are fixed the car is running noticeably better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLF4...ature=youtu.be

so as soon as the registration suspension is up i can drive the car. so besides finishing the catch can which i will probably do tomorrow, i only have one more thing to do....

while i was in the car today i heard some strange noises coming from my headliner..... pretty much immediately i realized something was up there and was alive. i wasnt really sure what it was right away so i figured maybe it was just a bug or something that got stuck because thats kind of how it sounded. once it got dark out tho i could very clearly hear what it was.

theres a ****ing entire litter of mice in my headliner. i for sure heard AT LEAST 3 different mice running around up there. obviously im heated lol i get one thing fixed and some bull**** happens and sets me back again. so im going to figure out how to get them out of there (and then directly into my homebrew moustrap that will eradicate them with extreme prejudice) ill be pulling my headliner down to clean all of the poop and dirt and **** and probably completely redoing my headliner. i had absolutely no intentions of pulling my headliner down at all ever but its gotta happen now so thats probably gonna be the next update after the catch can.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM

Well on a positive note at least they didn't feast on your electrical causing you to chase electrical gremlins lol
Old 06-26-2018, 10:55 AM

This person knows how to use rivnuts! You must be an A&P?
Old 06-27-2018, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
This person knows how to use rivnuts! You must be an A&P?
lmao no unfortunately i only work on vehicles whos total value could be exchanged for some small livestock. im a fabricator at a speed shop, when we are busy i make good money (in relation to the current economy anyway) but there can be huge stretches of time where we arent busy so im usually pretty broke. i post some of the stuff i do there on my instagram @bosletnate i mostly work on hondas there because thats where the market is where im at but theres some other cool stuff there.

big update coming soon. dont think me not posting means im not working on the stanzima
Old 07-01-2018, 05:25 PM

THE MUFFLER

as previously stated the exhaust i bought for 100 dollars that i had to chop up and reweld together sounded like total *** so here is the process i went through to rebuild a skunk2 muffler i got from my job that cracked in half after it apparently had all of the packing blown out of it.

this is the original tip from the cheepo exhaust.

this muffler was apparently a 3 inch inlet which means i need to reduce it. this is where the tip comes in.

3 to 2.5

i did some research on packing and found that apparently for longevity ceramic packing is much more resilient than fiberglass or stainless wool. i got some generic ceramic insulating blanket for like 10 bucks and did a little test to see what the real difference would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3j...ature=youtu.be

i think its pretty clear the ceramic is a lot more resilient than the stainless steel wool.

here is the comparison between the old muffler, no muffler and new muffler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ak...ature=youtu.be

the rasp is probably from the muffler being a little too big and not having a decent resonator in the exhaust. it was still there even with no muffler so im hoping when i make the headers it will go away or lessen. im not really worried about it tho for now im happy with it. it doesnt sound anywhere near as tinney or rattley like it did before. i still have to hang the muffler as you may have noticed in the video but i had some other stuff going on at the shop and didnt get a chance to get to it but once i do i think ill take the car out for a spin and see what works and what doesnt lol
Old 07-05-2018, 03:19 PM

did the hangers last night, the muffler is where its gonna stay.

next thing i gotta do is mount the catch can and then reregister the car and find some extra super ultra cheap insurance so i can drive it. idk when ill have the money to get the turbo stuff done on the stanza if i had a more stable source of income i would probably just bang it out in a few weeks but not being able to afford stuff when i need it really sets me back. in the mean time im gonna work on getting my z to the garage and start getting it ready for the VQ swap. ill have more updates on the stanza soon dont worry. probably a burnout video soon.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 PM

Great work! It looks like you are just about ready to terrorize the local villagers.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Where's the the burnout vid of the worlds 1st Stanzima ready to terrorize the local villagers? Any new progress? The anticipation lol. I haven't been on here as much since my max is gone but when I am I always check for any new updates with the Stanzima. Keep up the great work Nate. Hope the z31 is going good too. Also if your ever interested I have a bnib cat for the turbo z31.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:01 PM

i promise the next video i post will be me driving/roasting tires. i have been really struggling to find work lately so the car is even further in the back seat, more like stuffed into the trunk at this point. i havent even been up to the garage since the last post but im planning on going up this weekend to see if i can get the fans to work and probably just strap the catch can down for now.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:57 PM

im a man of my word. there she is in all her half assed, incredibly poorly tuned, stumbling, bumbling glory. i didnt worry about the fans, i doubt the car even got up to 100 degrees in the 2 minutes it was running. i know how to fix them, ill probably go back up this week to work on that. i definitely need to get it up to temp so i can get my fuel dialed in, the reason its running so bad is because its still trying to run in the warmup enrichment, without having the car up to temp i cant accurately setup the base map so whatever changes i make just slowly get screwed up when as the car warms up (it goes lean as it warms because it needs more fuel to run normally when its cold) this is why when i attempted to floor it the car just sort of coughed and slowly attempted to accelerate slightly. once i get the fans working right ill get the car up to temp and get the fuel dialed in so i can annihilate those minuscule tires im running.

everything went well tho, i didnt hear any crazy noises or knocks, the trans went through all the gears fine. there are some things i need to address like the shifter still needs bushings but i could definitely drive the car the way it is. for the catch can all i did was zip tie it to a section of the harness to keep it from moving. i lost the little cover for my distribution block and im worried about it shorting out so i might get another one of those but for the most part the car just needs to be registered again and i should also get some new gas because im sure whats in it is garbage.

Last edited by Nate Boslet; 08-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 PM

All Right!!!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:47 PM

FANS ARE WORKING.

there were 2 things keeping the fans from working. the first problem was the relay i had wired up to be switched by the MS1 wasnt turning the fans on, idk how i ever got the fans to turn on using that relay but whatever it was it was incorrect so i just switched the connector from that relay to the correct relay to have the fans turn on. the fans in the stanza are 2 speed, high and low, to accomplish this the car has 2 relays (three fan relays total but idk what the 3rd one is for, maybe ac or like some sort of safety relay idk) but if you turn on either one of the first two relays its on low and then both relays on at once gives you high speed. since i only have one output to switch the fans on i can only have the fans come on at low or high speed, for now they are on low because idk if high speed will be necessary yet.

the second reason the fans werent working is way more embarrassing and stupid but im gonna tell everyone anyway because it might prevent someone else from making a similar mistake, or maybe someone will find it funny.... the MS1 has 4 spare pins that you can use as outputs to control various things like boost control, nos injection, meth, launch control, 2 step etc. or in my case fan control. what i was not aware of is that in order to use these outputs you have to actually modify the hardware inside of the MS1. without doing this modification the wire i had run to my spare pin was connected to absolutely nothing. so ive been trying to figure out why im not getting signal from a wire that may as well be laying on the floor lol armed with the new knowledge of what i had to do to complete the mod i banged it out, it was actually really easy.

idk if anyone will really understand what this means but i figure its neat to look at. basically signal comes from an output pin and the transistor opens a gate i think maybe which completes a circuit between a ground and the output which closes the relay, im assuming the diode is for protection but im just learning so im not super sure about any of this lol anyway it works. i got the car warmed up a bit, had the fans kick on and off at certain times. they kick on slightly earlier than what they are set at which i found strange, i guess they account for temp spiking or heat soak or whatever in the code instead of trusting you to use the right temps which is nice. i have no idea what operating temperature is supposed to be, once i find that out ill set the fans at that and probably take the car for an extra long spin and start getting it better street tuned and fix the warmup enrichment and be well on my way to tire roasting. just from dialing the fuel in when it was around 160 degrees the car runs a million times better and its still running on that year old gas so once i get some decent gas in and get her nice and hot it should get wild quick. i really gotta build some turbo headers tho cause this car sounds like a dying buffalo in the revs.

Last edited by Nate Boslet; 09-02-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Nissan uses 3 relays for the cooling fans on the Maxima. Fan Relay 1 turns both fans on at low speed. Fan Relay 2 turns fan #1 on at high speed and Fan Relay 3 turns fan #2 on at high speed. The reason for using a separate relay for each motor's high speed is unknown to me. This design would allow each fan motor to be operated at high speed independently from the other one, but the fans are connected to always operate as a pair. There is one pin on the ECU that says run the fans at low speed and one pin that says run the fans at high speed.

I will assume that the Stanza is set up the same way since it also uses 3 relays. If the car has air conditioning, it is necessary to have the cooling fans running when the a/c compressor is running.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:22 PM

decided to redo the fuel rails again and install my bosch 550s i originally got for my Z31 in the stanza. i feel like the stanza has been down a cylinder because the one injector wasnt working. i know the 550s are good and i wasnt really happy with the way the injectors were done so im gonna change it lol i just got the stock today so new pics on that and hopefully burnout vids once the car is running right.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:22 AM

The exhaust isn't all that pretty sounding...deep but I think a 11" x 5" oval MF muffler would be the bomb with a large resonator...Pretty impressive stuffing that VG in that smaller chassis.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
The exhaust isn't all that pretty sounding...deep but I think a 11" x 5" oval MF muffler would be the bomb with a large resonator...Pretty impressive stuffing that VG in that smaller chassis.
i think the main issue is the really turbulent headers and possibly one of the injectors being screwed up. one of them had been giving me problems for a while so i know for a fact there is a chance its missing a cylinder entirely which isnt doing my exhaust tone any favors. once the rails are done ill look into building a new set of headers, possibly turbo headers.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 AM

Nice. Glad to see things are moving along slowly but surely. Still waiting for the smoke show vid lighting up tires terrorizing the local villagers lol..
Old 11-06-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Nice. Glad to see things are moving along slowly but surely. Still waiting for the smoke show vid lighting up tires terrorizing the local villagers lol..
between work and various life situations and changes i just havent had the time or energy to really get to the car and work on it like i had been earlier. ive decided im going to be LS swapping my Z at some point and if i can get the stanza running and driving reliably ill probably sell my hybrid so i can daily the stanza instead but a lot needs to happen before then. i already ripped the intake off and brought it home so i can start on the rails tomorrow and be on my way to seeing if i can get it tuned up and idling right.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM

Any recent progress on the Stanzima?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:10 AM

i havent disappeared or anything just got a lot going on still, i had to order a specific size drill bit for the fuel rails so im still waiting on that, i bought it online from home depot thinking it would be quicker and they are taking a literal eternity to get it to my local store so thats been a big hold up but once that gets here i will get some progress pics. im trying to sell some of my old VG stuff to get the stanzima done and so i can get started on the Z so if anyone needs anything lmk i have a maxima engine and auto trans, a vg33 from a pathfinder and a bunch of other random parts, lots of intakes, im selling an intake like the one on page one of this thread actually so if anyone is interested in that im asking 450 shipped. regardless of what i sell ill at the very least have the rails done sometime next week.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 PM

ok so the drill bit made its way to home depot today so i went and grabbed it and rushed home to see if it was actually the right size and if it was going to drill round holes or just turn my rail stock into scrap. being an idiot with a half decent memory i recalled the mistakes i made the last time i made a set of fuel rails and practiced/setup my jigs and stuff on a section of -8 fuel rail i had lying around that im not using for anything atm. (the rail stock im using for the stanzima is -6)

first i scribe the center of the rail, then i locate the exact position along the length of the rail that i want the injector to go (in this first case on the scrap -8 rail it doesnt matter) then i punch mark at the intersection of each mark which leaves me the spacing i want. i spent a few times marking and checking to make sure when i was done the rails would be exactly parallel because the even tho the injector bosses in the lower are exactly the same distance apart they are offset from one side to the other so some margin is required to make the rails line up. once i had my marks laid out and punched i pilot drilled with a 1/4 inch bit, then stepped up to whatever size it was that the top of the injector was (idr) so that it could pass through the hole but the oring would seat against it and then finally i drilled the oring boss with a 17/32 bit and sanded down all the burrs and sharp edges with some 220 grit sandpaper.

here is the first rail after drilling and sanding

with injectors, notice the offset from one end to the other.

both rails done.

i couldnt really get a good shot of the rails being perfectly parallel lol its hard to tell but they are even.

so next ill be turning and tapping some mounting studs that ill cross drill the rails for and then weld to the lower so the rails will just have 2 bolts going through the side to hold them on. fortunately my old injectors are the same physical size as my new ones so ill just use them to hold the rails in place while im welding so i dont have to worry about arcing into them and destroying the 550s. after the studs are done ill have to get some fittings and bungs and do the fuel lines, i already have most of that stuff once again being donated by the Z so that should all get done very soon.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 AM

Nice to see this thread back in action. Looking forward to the finished product ☺ I think it's very cool the fact you've been fabricating a lot of your own parts to make the stanzima very unique. Once it's completed you'll have to get that rear center lettering changed to say stanzima lol. Looks like those are just plastic letters? If so I believe I have some from another gen maxima that look to be the same font or very similar so it could say stanzima. I'd be more than happy to donate/mail them to you if you'd like to have them.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-09-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM

that is definitely something id wanna do for sure, thats part of the aesthetic of the car at this point lol yeah private message me man! thank you
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 PM

fuel rails are almost completely done. made a lot of progress on them today, basically spent the whole day on them.

first i cross drilled the holes for the mounting bolts

then i made a pair of threaded studs.

then i cut them down till they were about the right length, rigged up a bunch of random crap i had lying around to get the rails to stay where i wanted them and then tacked the studs, took everything back off and fully welded them up.

these are the same bolts i used on the z, they are temporary.

here is the second rail done up to the same point. i punch marked the front and rear at this point so i didnt mix them up since they are virtually identical.

while i was out getting salt for the impending blizzard were supposedly gonna get destroyed by i picked up some socket capped bolts so i could counter sink them, i dont really like these bolts, they were black for some reason so i hit them on the belt sander to try to make them more presentable... not sure how i feel about it but at least they are flush.

i needed 2 dash 6 bungs for the front of the rails that go to the feed and return but the ones i had were used on something else that got scrapped and got all beat up so i decided to just make myself up some new ones as i have done before.

somehow i managed to get a press fit on the first one without trying or paying attention whatsoever so i did the same thing on the second one for convenience when i go to weld them up.

i might be heading up to the garage tomorrow so ill check my clearances and stuff and see what i feel like when its on the car. i cant fit any other kind of joiner where the loop needs to go in the back of the rails, theres not enough space for braided or hard line fittings and i cant loop them around anything either so it has to be barb fittings and a really short section of hose. im confident i can get it to work well but its been the biggest hangup so far, ive done everything else before when i made the same exact design of fuel rail for my z31.

the fitting is made from 2 different sizes of rod, the larger one i drilled a blind hole about as big as i felt comfortable drilling it and then drilled a hole in the side, turned the barbed fitting side and a press fit and a shoulder on the other side and then tapped them together. this joint would get welded and then the whole fitting would be welded to the end of the fuel rails but this was just a proof of concept/making sure i could actually do it so if i decide to change the design i wont care that becomes scrap lol

next post should be about the final touches on the fuel rails and mounting up the FPR, making new feed and return lines, a new vacuum line and wiring in the bosch 550 injectors and hopefully getting the car to run better than it has in years. we will see.

Last edited by Nate Boslet; 01-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 PM

When you first started this project, I thought you were going for a daily driver with a bit more engine under the hood. But you are going so much further. The work you are doing is so phenomenal.

Care to venture a guess when you will have the car on the street?.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When you first started this project, I thought you were going for a daily driver with a bit more engine under the hood. But you are going so much further. The work you are doing is so phenomenal.

Care to venture a guess when you will have the car on the street?.
thank you very much, the car was my daily driver for a few years so i still of it that way but as far as actually driving it every day obviously that hasnt been the case lol ive been dailying the hybrid lately but the plan is to get the stanzima done and running really good and then selling the hybrid so i can daily the stanzima instead. i care a lot more about the car getting built the way i want it and learning as much as possible than just getting it on the road and driving it by any means necessary, ive seen a lot of builds that use that kind of mentality and i cant afford to buy everything and i dont want to half *** anything so this is the pace i keep unfortunately lol i really appreciate everyones support here tho i dont get a lot of interest in what i do anywhere else.

i think the fuel rails are the last major thing i need to do unless i find some new issue on the next test drive so realistically, accounting for the weather which has been rough, sometime next month i should be back to drivable.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:09 PM

so yesterday i spent pretty much the entire day maching and welding together these little angle pieces, you wouldnt think it would take all day but the thing is i had to make them 4 HECKING times because my welder doesnt have any kind of pulse control and i kept melting the small parts until i machined them as thick as possible lol these were the last iteration and at this point i was about ready to lose my mind.

as with all things sometimes even the most determined and hard fought effort is rewarded in a plentiful bounty of failure, even after successfully welding these fittings together and getting them tacked onto the rails i realized this solution would not be viable whatsoever lol there was no way to actually get the hose between the two barbs once the rails were back on the intake, the one rail actually couldnt even come on and off the intake at all so i just had to break them both off and throw them away. i was too pissed to take pictures but i never really liked this solution in the first place tbh and ive already come up with a more elegant solution so ill be posting that very soon. i would much rather have a bad idea fail and be forced to come up with a better one than have it succeed and have some consequence come later on, the frustration will pay off lol

so that brings us to the day before yesterday or whenever it was that i brought everything up to the garage and mocked it up just to make sure i was on the right track, everything looks like its going to fit fine but i decided i would need an FPR bracket. i know i wont need a bracket for my fuel filter or at least not anything crazy (probably just a P clip)

i decided the stock fuel filter was a perfect location for the FPR so i took the bracket for it home with me.

this was the bracket i had made for when this FPR was in my Z. you may notice this is not a regular FPR this one is actually for a kenne bell supercharger i believe, it had like one of those oring bosses you would just push into the side of something and bolt it on, i just drilled that out and welded an AN fitting to it (the heat turned the anodizing purple lol) the bracket looks pretty jank but it held it solid so i decided to keep the basic design and just kind of improve it with new materials.

here is the fuel filter bracket, i really only took it for the bolt pattern, im not going to modify it in any way its going to be scrap.

here is the new bracket, couldnt really be simpler, just a piece of steel with 4 holes in it and a 90 degree bend.

i also took this opportunity to make new spacers, i figured having one solid spacer would make it easier than having 2 little ones and it only took 10 minutes on the lathe to do.

heres the bracket all done and bolted up. obviously ill have to bolt the bracket back onto the car first and then the regulator but i figure once its on there ill never have to take it off again i can just pull the lines for whatever im doing. regardless it should put the regulator where i want it.

so next im working on the new design for the rear loop for the rails, im gonna be using AN fittings so i can just take the whole loop off of the rails entirely, this will make assembly a million times easier than my other solution, i hate rubber.... then im going to have to find some new crush sleeves for my 3/8ths fuel line to -6 AN fitting adaptors and then ill be able to bolt everything onto the car, i messed with the lines while i was at home, you may have noticed they werent quite the right lengths in the pictures, they are much closer now, i hope they will fit up the way they are if not i should have enough line lying around to get something made up. regardless its definitely getting there. i decided im going to leave the old injectors in the first time i try starting everything up just to compare them to the 550s on the exact same fuel setup so i know for sure it was the injectors and not some other issue. ill try to get the fuel pressure to whatever the maxima rails were putting out. more updates coming soon.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM

FPR bracket is installed and looks good. some of the lines are done but i am still missing the adaptors for the stock hard line. im not gonna replace that until i need to upgrade the fuel pump and stuff which definitely wont be necessary anytime soon.

hopefully this area will look a little less cluttered once the intake and stuff is back together. im not sure how i feel about all this braided line in one place lol but it should all work so thats good enough for me.

didnt really have too much to do after that last night. i just got the fittings for the rear loop on the fuel rails today so ill post that up soon but i do have one more thing to show, last night a friend brought me a little present. since im upgrading my fuel i figured id have a little headroom for more boost so i decided a little upgrade from the hx35 might be in order.... NBD not really anything too crazy just a little S475.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 PM

From what I can tell from the photos, it looks like you will have to put a scoop on the hood. Am I correct?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 PM

From what I can tell from the photos, it looks like you will have to put a scoop on the hood. Am I correct?
i didnt realize the pictures made this turbo look somewhat reasonably sized but i was just goofing around lol this turbo is too big for the VG to even spool up and even if it could it would push the head studs right out of the block at 5psi lol this is the biggest turbo i have ever seen in person in my life. my buddy with the corvette decided to go nitrous so he gave it to me for my LS z31 project. its even a little bit big for the LS so the vg that is literally half the size is gonna have to be happy with that hx35 :P

here are some better pics to illustrate how comically large this turbo is lol

just as a comparison to the dimensions of the turbo the stanza IS going to get, which is also not a small turbo by any means, this s475 has about an inch and a half on just about every dimension of the hx35. needless to say im excited about it haha

but you guys arent here to listen to me yammer on about my Z31 (ill be starting a thread for that car when the time comes ill let yall know dont worry) you come here for the stanzima. i promise i will have an update on that tomorrow. i have the new fittings and line to finish the rear loop and some line, i might have to experiment and mess around with some stuff and i might be forced to do things i dont want to do but regardless something will get done tomorrow lol
Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 AM

i finally got the fittings i needed and got the fuel rails done. basically all i did was mount the fuel rails up and then i used a square against the rails and the fittings to make sure they were going to clear the rear of the lower intake and thats how i figured out how much to take off of the left rail, then i used a straight edge on the machined mating surface of the coolant neck to take a measurement for how far away the fuel rail was and then transferred that measurement to the other rail to make them exactly the same length in relation to each other since the offset made it impossible to just cut the same amount off of each side (plus they werent perfect to begin with, now they are) for anyone that is curious i cut the rails in my bandsaw with one of those little sled things to try to get 90 degrees and then used my 12 inch disc sander to bring them in and clean up the cut then chamfered the holes with a step drill since i dont have any bigger deburring tools, i also filed the outer edges.

once i had that done i welded on the 6AN bungs.

i did my best to make sure these parts all fit together as square as i could get them so that once i put the fittings on they are perfectly aligned, of course the fittings themselves werent square so that didnt help but there is some degree of leeway for this type of fitting so it still works and holds pressure, i tested them to like 120psi and they didnt leak at all so im pretty happy about that. here are some shots of the clearance, its not crazy tight or anything but it was a difficult problem to solve lol im happy with this solution tho.

you probably cant tell and i really should have taken pictures but i had to grind one of the tips of the fittings down, they have two barbs and i ground a whole one off of one so they wouldnt hit each other. if you look close you can actually see there are only three little bumps in the hose lol

so there you have it, the rails are finally done. now i just have to find or make some new compression sleeves for my adaptor fittings and i can finally finish the fuel system and start the car up. if everything checks out ill be throwing the new 550cc injectors in there, changing the tune and hopefully ruining my perfectly good street tires.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Looks super tight but in a clean way.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 PM

so in order to attach my stock fuel lines to the AN fittings i am using i needed adaptors, fortunately i already had these adaptors from when i did this on my Z and since all the fuel lines in that car are going to be scrapped those fittings were available to the stanzima.........................only one problem. they are compression fittings that use a little brass sleeve to make a seal on the fuel line, they are not a standard part (or at least not something my local home depot carries) and when you tighten the fitting on the sleeve it crimps onto the line which makes an excellent seal but is impossible to get back off and even if you could its going to be too deformed to reuse (which i did try lol) this is one of the original fittings after its been crushed.

so i started with some random piece of brass i had lying around and turned down the outer diameter to what the peak of the fitting needed to be and then drilled a hole through the whole thing to the size of the fuel line, cut off a piece about the length the sleeve needed to be and then i chucked up the drill bit to use it as an arbor to hold the piece.

next i set my compound to the angle i needed and turned the back of the sleeve.

after machining i have the rough part.

then after sanding the burrs off the ends the part is done.

so that wouldnt have taken all that long if i had thought the motor on my lathe exploded and i went through the process of replacing it with a motor i had lying around just to find out that the motor i had wouldnt work and then having to rewire the old motor back in because i realized that there was nothing majorly wrong with it lol that took pretty much the entire time since my last post. but the lathe is better than ever now and i made those fittings yesterday and ran over to install them today, here they are installed! it was a huge pain in the ***.

i already had most of the fuel system setup so once the fittings were on all i really had to do was make the lines that attach them to the other stuff. i basically just switched one line out for another and then cut another to length and swapped out a fitting.

so as you may have noticed i have fuel pressure, i tested the system once it was all installed (i totally didnt install the lines backward and have to switch them exactly like i did on my z btw. (jk i did)) and no leaks! so its all ready to go but before i can start it i have to make a notch in the front fuel rail so i can plug in my coolant temp sensor. that will probably be my next post. one issue i noticed was im not making more than 40psi of fuel pressure even after adjusting the FPR. im not sure if there is another regulator in the tank or what but im gonna look through the FSM, either way this stock pump will most likely be retiring and ill throw a walbro or something in there. maybe even the one that was in my z lol hopefully it still works.

oh yeah and i almost forgot. this is how many tries it took to get the compression fittings made lol most of them were made using completely different techniques and fixtures. this was probably the most difficult thing to make that ive made on my lathe yet. half of them are aluminum because i have more aluminum than brass so i didnt mind sacrificing it to failure.

Last edited by Nate Boslet; 03-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 AM

WOW! Is there any part that you can't make? Amazing. I'm disappointed that you could not find those a home depot, but then I have to admit that it is getting harder and harder to find plumbing parts there. The world of plumbing seems to be moving away from metal tubing to flexible lines.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM

WOW! Is there any part that you can't make? Amazing. I'm disappointed that you could not find those a home depot, but then I have to admit that it is getting harder and harder to find plumbing parts there. The world of plumbing seems to be moving away from metal tubing to flexible lines.
there are many many things i cant make, thats why im always looking for more tools lol
i may have been able to find them at a home depot with a larger selection of fittings, i would be surprised if the company that makes these fittings specifically makes their own compression sleeves instead of just using an off the shelf one and building their kit to fit that but also fuel line might use a different standard so its possible that they have to? idk. i doubt i will ever have to do this again lol i will either use rubber push on lines like the factory car used or in the case of my Z im just going to completely replace the entire fuel system with new fittings and lines so no compression stuff. anyway i should have an update tomorrow, possibly with the car running again. i have a few more fuel related things to do.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 AM

while i was making these fuel rails i realized the coolant temp sensor was being blocked partially by the rail stock, i hoped i could get the plug in anyway and i almost could but i didnt want to break it or possibly get it stuck and need to take the rails off every time i had to remove the harness so i just took the rail back off and ground down a little clearance for the plug.

it really didnt need much.

now it fits without any problems.

heres the walbro 255. ill be installing this next, then the 550cc injectors.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:15 PM

the stock pump comes out.

filter looks pretty beat..

this particular pump assembly has the fuel level sender attached so you only have one plate on the tank to pull. which is nice or at least it would be if i needed to mess with my fuel sender... i dont.

here is the plate without the pump, i had to bend the feed tube straighter and i cut up the bottom part for clearance of the walbro pumps filter.

i drilled a hole in the bracket to run the new pumps wiring through because the routing was going to end up being way longer. i made sure to really clean up the edges of this hole so these wires didnt get rubbed through on it.

i really didnt have to change much, not that i was expecting to, stock location fuel pump upgrades are super easy. probably not a common first mod for people to do but if it made sense for your car or build to do early on id say you could do it relatively unsupervised. one thing you have to be extremely aware of is certain rubbers, plastics and sealants will be broken down by gasoline so i would reuse as much of the stuff that was already in the tank as possible, i would not recommend using any rubber hose that doesnt literally have fuel safe written on it or a serial number that can be traced to fuel safe hose because ive gone to parts stores many times to get fuel safe hose and they almost never give me fuel safe hose (and i never use it)

here are the 550s in the new rails. they were a direct swap because the maxima injectors i was using are exactly the same physical dimensions.

to install the 550cc injectors i had to change the pigtails, i had already done these pigtails to work on my Z which had a vg33 on it so the spacing was right and the wiring was still good so all i needed to do was solder them in and loom it (which you actually have to do in the opposite order with this loom, i totally didnt have to redo the solder because i forgot to put the loom and heatshrink before soldering, i would never do that)

i have no idea why i did the injector wiring the way i did before, i ran 3 different pairs of wires ALLLLLLLLLL the way from a junction like 2 feet from their termination points. i cant remember if there was a reason to do that but i also cant think of one so maybe i was just stupid at the time which is possible cause im still pretty stupid right now... anyway i had to add some wire to get the pigtail segments to reach. im not really worried about having a bunch of splices because they were all soldered and then adhesive heat shrinked so they should be waterproof and very secure (and should last longer than other areas of the harness will anyway) but the next harness i do im going to keep this in mind and if its going to be batch fire im running ONE pair of wires per bank all the way to the injectors lol

heres the finished front injector harness. i installed the fuel

here is a video of the car running, it sounds like its actually on all 6 cylinders now even though its on less than 40psi of fuel pressure lol i was gonna try turning it up but i noticed a leak in one of the fittings and i had to leave so next time im up at my garage ill mess with that and get to tuning and seeing if i can really get the car running the way i want. ill probably drive it a little bit now since i *think* everything is ready for that and then probably in the immediate future ill be possibly redoing the engine mounts and front transmission mount and then ill definitely be building a set of turbo headers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWJ...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 PM

The finish line is getting closer. One thing I like is that you care about how the finished product looks. There are soooo many people out there that don't. Keep going!

Quick Reply: Turbo VG swapped stanza