3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car won't start in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:10 AM

Car won't start in the morning

Sup fam-a-lam.

Long time poster. Multiple thread starter. Back to pick up where i left off.

So my problem before was that the car went from ~cutting off randomly while driving~ to ~not starting at all~

Eventually took it to the AUTHORIZED nissan dealership and they come to the conclusion that it is a relay and a broken ground. They add a ground, change a relay, take my $480 and send me on my way.

NOW i have the problem that the car will only start at certain times. So far i've come to the assumption that the car won't start anytime before about 11am. It will NOT start in the morning, but if i go to it in the afternoon, it pops right up.
(side note; i tried to take it back to the dealership angry at them that they didn't completely fix the problem, but got a buttload of excuses and that they want more money. Sir dealer rep said "we tested the "electrical components", but not the fuel pressure or anything, that will be another 250 minimum)

So just personally, i'm thinking maybe it has something to do with something getting wet with dew on it? Anyone ever heard of anything like that? I live in humid florida and i'm thinking maybe overnight it gets moist and when it drys out, it then is able to start up.

I don't know i'm pretty mad, just thinking of all the possibilities.

Last side night; i did have the car cut off on a right turn but that's probably a completely different problem. :/
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Did you ever replace the green fusebox relay AKA ECM relay? That's like $25. If you did not, just replace it as an insurance. Not sure what the dealer did exactly.

I had the similar random stalling and not starting problem and after dumping tons of $$$ into unnecessary useless repairs, replaced that relay and it was fixed for good.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Where is the ECM relay? That is the one thing that the shop said they replaced, but i can't tell. I looked at the relay box under the coolant reserve, and the relays near the fusebox next to the steering wheel.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM

It's green. I can't remember where exactly it is, as I sold Maxima in 2007. You should download the FSM and look up the ECU (or ECM?) relay. On this forum it is known as the notorious "green fusebox relay" for its ability to cause all kinds of torments for the owner.

The 2nd picture in this thread http://forums.nicoclub.com/fuse-and-...x-t140879.html shows the kind of relay you are looking for. IIRC Maxima fusebox has only one like that.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Gotcha. It was labeled as "engine cont". That is what the dealership said they replaced, but the relay doesn't look new.

Gonna either get it tested, or buy a new one and report back
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM

That must be it. It powers the ECU, odometer and a few other things, if you trace the electric diagrams. This was how I found that the random stalling of my Maxima was caused by this relay alone.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Nope :/ did the 9volt battery test and i can hear the relay clicking when it put power through it.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 PM

I was having a similar issue that I corrected by replacing the cap and rotor. I'm not sure if that applies to your case or not. The parts are cheap and the job is easy, though.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ray229Harris
Nope :/ did the 9volt battery test and i can hear the relay clicking when it put power through it.
It does not matter that you hear the relay clicking. Mine checked out fine as well, but still lost connection every once in a while. The problem was absolutely random but never occurred under test.

And replacing cap and rotor was the very first thing I tried when the car started stalling. Then I replaced spark plugs and wires, fuel pump and its relay in the trunk, but nothing fixed the problem until the ECM relay was replaced.