3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My Maxima S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Maxima S?

Firstly, hi everyone. Names Martyn but people call me Mouse (don't ask lol).

I have some research questions. I recently picked up a 1992 Nissan Maxima V6 S Auto. 76k miles.

Now, according to the web it's the rarest and last one on roads here, with another being SORN. My issue is I can't find anything on it. Only on the SE and the GXE models.

Does anybody know anything about this particular model?

Literally anything will help, I'm stuck and can't find any information on the S model. I don't even know what HP it is etc. Could be 160.. could be 190.. genuinely stumped.

Also, I'm quite certain the VVT/VTC whatever you call it is starting to tap a bit, not sure where I can get a replacement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Plans and current goodies.

Current goodies:
Custom exhaust (straight pipe, everything out, decat etc)
Pipercross Performance Panel Filter
Bosch spark plugs

On way goodies and stuff yet to fit:
Took the steering wheel from my step dads old drag RX7 FC
Decatted Race Spec exhaust
FMIC
Oil Cooler
TD05 Turbo with actuator and mani from an Evo IV*
Baileys Dump Valve*
*viewing this week

Plans:
Full coilover conversion
Repair dents/scratches/age marks
Full respray
Turbo set up
Manual Conversion (would a Zx box be an easy fit?)
RWD or AWD (this is just a thought for now)

Last edited by Mouse1365; 08-09-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Where are you from?

I have never heard of a Maxima "S". If you are in Europe or some such then I suppose it's possible. If you ARE in Europe, I would be very surprised if your car has the DOHC VE30DE engine.

Post up a picture of your engine bay and we can tell you immediately if you've got the VE or the VG. If you don't have a VE then there's no way you have VTC noise as the VG's don't have VTC assemblies to go bad/make noise.

Regarding your plans - what good would an EVO turbo manifold do for you?

When you say Zx box regarding a manual transmission swap are you asking about the 300ZX? If so sure it would mate up to your engine but it's RWD and your car is FWD...
Old 08-09-2017, 04:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by James92SE
Where are you from?

I have never heard of a Maxima "S". If you are in Europe or some such then I suppose it's possible. If you ARE in Europe, I would be very surprised if your car has the DOHC VE30DE engine.

Post up a picture of your engine bay and we can tell you immediately if you've got the VE or the VG. If you don't have a VE then there's no way you have VTC noise as the VG's don't have VTC assemblies to go bad/make noise.

Regarding your plans - what good would an EVO turbo manifold do for you?

When you say Zx box regarding a manual transmission swap are you asking about the 300ZX? If so sure it would mate up to your engine but it's RWD and your car is FWD...
Hey, live in a town called Bridlington.

Nor have I, but there is such a thing, it's the rarest one from 92 apparently. Is I tried to add pic it's not working? But it's VG30 anyway was told buy garage it had VTC. This is why I'm struggling.

It would do no good at all, but the actuator and Mani come with the turbo lol. I presume it's another goodie to cut up and use for welding bits haha.

Yes from the 300ZX rwd would come with it, I should have been clearer than that, the AWD is a thought not the RWD. The RWD I'd do with box. I'm not so good at explaining things in text sorry.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 08-09-2017, 07:50 AM

Given the cars are apparently so uncommon there, its likely that the shop was confusing the VG30E with the VE30DE. VG30Es in our Maximas did not come with VTCs, whereas the VE30DE has a reputation for VTC noise/failure.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Levsimus
Given the cars are apparently so uncommon there, its likely that the shop was confusing the VG30E with the VE30DE. VG30Es in our Maximas did not come with VTCs, whereas the VE30DE has a reputation for VTC noise/failure.
Well the good news being my VTC clearly isn't going.. now I have to figure out where the rattle is coming from lol.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM

Welcome!!! I am jealous of your grille. And your headlamp wipers. Hahaha

Also... unless you have them made custom good luck on coil overs...
Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 AM

strut design on 3rd gens is too short to fully utilize coilovers on 3rd gens, RWD conversion was done on a 2nd gen and he said it was a PITA then ended up scrapping it not long after it was finished. you can utilize the turbo manifold from a Z31 turbo

honestly just buy a RWD car at the end of the day, turbo as is i would do
Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM

I see the first post was updated with a picture of the car. Absolutely 100% that's a VG30E engine.

There's another member here with a 3rd gen Maxima in England:

https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-genera...en-maxima.html
Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the replies.

I'm not sure what grille it is, came with the car lol. The headlight wipers have a mind of their own too, they're pretty awesome though.

For work on the car, it's really no issue. Coilover conversion or just lowering the leaf springs I'll do no matter the labour, same with the turbo. Even if it means custom struts etc. Best friend is a welder, comes in handy lol.

I'm wondering, does anybody know what decent FWD manual box is a good fit for this car, again, searching proves most useless and I can't figure out forums too well.

Also, I can't seem to find anything on the compression ratio, as I'm picking up the TD05 tomorrow, and most sites either say it's 9:1 or 10:1..

Thank you.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:26 AM

Not sure if this is any help, but found this with a google search for J30 Maxima S, it is in the UK, and posted by a guy who knows his cars as have had dealings with him on various car sites over the years. He has it listed as a Maxima S. You maybe able to gain some info from the registration plate which I believe you can do in the UK.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7430965@N05/6651827045
I am from New Zealand and used to have a 1993 Maxima S, though ours were badged for the NZ market (and assembled here) by Nissan NZ, with the S model being the base model in the Maxima range with hubcaps, optional air conditioning and optional ABS etc. NZ was also the only country in the world to get fold down rear seats.

Pic of my old one. Wish I still had it. Front spoiler was off a 1992 Maxima Silhouette, the "sport" model.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mouse1365
For work on the car, it's really no issue. Coilover conversion or just lowering the leaf springs I'll do no matter the labour, same with the turbo. Even if it means custom struts etc. Best friend is a welder, comes in handy lol.

I'm wondering, does anybody know what decent FWD manual box is a good fit for this car, again, searching proves most useless and I can't figure out forums too well.

Also, I can't seem to find anything on the compression ratio, as I'm picking up the TD05 tomorrow, and most sites either say it's 9:1 or 10:1..

Thank you.
Lowering the leaf springs?

No other gearboxes fit these cars. Not sure why you'd be even looking into that. Your searching returns nothing about that because it's impractical and I can't imagine anybody would have ever bothered trying. Why bother with trying to fit some other arbitrary FWD gearbox when you could just beef up the one meant for the car?

I'm nearly certain 3rd gen Maxima VG30E compression ratio is 9:1 (at least in the US)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for you replies !

Sorry for late reply.

Thank you for the info, could do with that other maxima haha.

Well, again, I'm not going back to that person, not even leaf spring.. put some evo 4 wheels on and it's coils all round. I'll just do it myself next time the gimps.

I have an issue though, there sounds like tapping from the ECCS, gets worse if I open throttle, I'm not the most clued up (pretty obvious lol) but any ideas what it could be? It had new belt so hoping it isn't anything to do with valves bouncing as has been suggested but it's loudest at the ECCS. I've tried to upload a video to tinypic but it won't let me.. not sure how to upload vid of the noise
Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 AM

Thank you for you replies !

Sorry for late reply.

Thank you for the info, could do with that other maxima haha.

Well, again, I'm not going back to that person, not even leaf spring.. put some evo 4 wheels on and it's coils all round. I'll just do it myself next time the gimps.

I have an issue though, there sounds like tapping from the ECCS, gets worse if I open throttle, I'm not the most clued up (pretty obvious lol) but any ideas what it could be? It had new belt so hoping it isn't anything to do with valves bouncing as has been suggested but it's loudest at the ECCS. I've tried to upload a video to tinypic but it won't let me.. not sure how to upload vid of the noise
Its a possibility it could be a hydraulic valve lifter. Had that issue with the VG30 that was in my C32 Nissan Laurel. It would tick relatively loudly and increase with revs. Would quieten down after an oil change but be back when it was nearly time for the next one. My first J30 Maxima started doing it when it had done around 250,000km (156,000miles)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM

It is possible that engine sludge is building up and reducing oil flow to the valve lifters. Try running some engine cleaner chemicals in the engine and see if that helps.

Here is a link to the service manual for the North American Maxima. Section EM (engine Mechanical) page 32 has some info on the valve lifter.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1994/

Last edited by DennisMik; 08-27-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turns out it was the rotor arm on my dizzy.. thank god ��

I need help on something else, the 4sp auto box is starting to slip a little.. sometimes at full throttle it struggles to change to third, just revs and won't change :/ Any ideas? I've just driven to my mother's 100 miles away and noticed near the end of the journey it feels like the clutch is slipping, just revs a bit almost like losing power. Quite embarrassing with the straight pipe as everyone can hear it. Any suggestions?

If it's clutch I'll go for a better clutch, may as well start beefing the box up as I'm not sure what manuals would fit it
Old 10-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Turns out it was the rotor arm on my dizzy.. thank god ��

I need help on something else, the 4sp auto box is starting to slip a little.. sometimes at full throttle it struggles to change to third, just revs and won't change :/ Any ideas? I've just driven to my mother's 100 miles away and noticed near the end of the journey it feels like the clutch is slipping, just revs a bit almost like losing power. Quite embarrassing with the straight pipe as everyone can hear it. Any suggestions?

If it's clutch I'll go for a better clutch, may as well start beefing the box up as I'm not sure what manuals would fit it
For now, check the fluid level. Remember the car needs to be running in neutral or park and on level ground when you pull the stick. It's hard to read due to splashing. It could be slipping because it's low on fluid. However, knowing these cars, I'm almost sure you'll need a rebuild. I rebuilt mine in '01 and thenceforth changed the fluid regularly and haven't had a problem. I think these transmission were made for really smooth shifts and that burns the fluid.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nismax1994
For now, check the fluid level. Remember the car needs to be running in neutral or park and on level ground when you pull the stick. It's hard to read due to splashing. It could be slipping because it's low on fluid. However, knowing these cars, I'm almost sure you'll need a rebuild. I rebuilt mine in '01 and thenceforth changed the fluid regularly and haven't had a problem. I think these transmission were made for really smooth shifts and that burns the fluid.
Well I have to drive it 28 miles to get it home, first. But once home I'm taking it straight to my mates house so we can check what you said. Thank you. I found a spot of oil a few week ago under the car just after the middle of the engine towards the gearbox. This could explain it.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM

Well I have to drive it 28 miles to get it home, first. But once home I'm taking it straight to my mates house so we can check what you said. Thank you. I found a spot of oil a few week ago under the car just after the middle of the engine towards the gearbox. This could explain it.
If it's engine oil than that oil leak is likely the rear main seal and not related. If it's transmission fluid then you could be low on transmission fluid, which would cause your issue. I was leaking transmission fluid from mine and it turned out to simply be the drain plug bolt. I replaced it and made sure it was secure and the leak went away.

I also had to have my automatic transmission rebuilt at one point. I had it rebuilt 10 years ago now and it's been holding strong ever since (10 years of daily driving). A few guys here on this forum ragged on me when I opt'd to rebuild saying that the rebuilt transmission would only last a year or two at most. Here I am 10 years later and they have all left and I'm still driving her every day