Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Ve30de oil leak (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/700281-ve30de-oil-leak.html)

Vg30ekid 01-06-2018 04:32 PM

Ve30de oil leak

1993 Maxima se has an oil leak I can’t really tell where it’s coming from but it’s dripping right onto the rear exhaust manifold and burning to the point where it’s its filling up the passenger compartment up with smoke and making it hard to breathe. Any ideas? Probably the valve cover gasket

ac max 92 01-07-2018 10:36 AM

Sounds like a possible valve cover gasket.

Vg30ekid 01-07-2018 10:38 AM

How hard do you think that would be I looked up how-tos and found some decent stuff but idk if it’s that hard I’m kind of shook to break down the engine that much

Vg30ekid 01-07-2018 10:41 AM

Do I only need to remove the upper intake manifold or the lower part too

ac max 92 01-08-2018 10:38 AM

I've only dealt with the valve cover gaskets on the vg but I would imagine you'd only have to remove the upper intake manifold to get at the valve covers on the ve too. If you need to remove any vacume lines just remember where to put em back. It would probably be a good idea to take a couple pics before hand and have an fsm handy which you should be able to get a link for from here on the org.. Looking at your user name did you have a vg and switched over to a ve or something?

Vg30ekid 01-08-2018 02:48 PM

Yea I’m only used to vgs never messed with a ve. It’s almost impossible to find parts for this engine. I found the valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket I need but they’re special order parts which I will have to wait a few days for which I can’t really afford to wait considering I need my car while I’m at work. Nice job Nissan for making an engine for 2 years then stopping

chrome91 01-09-2018 08:43 AM

as far as i know its only upper intake to get to the valve covers, its not overly hard. just take pictures with your phone of it all beforehand and make mental note where the electrical connectors and vacuum lines go. rarely will electrical connectors interchange so you cant put them in the wrong spot and vacuum lines are often a different length or size so you cant mess them backwards

Vg30ekid 01-17-2018 05:58 PM

It was pretty straight forward the only problem I had was one hose connection broke from the piece it hooks up to which was a easy fix with a longer piece of hose and the egr valve pipe broke in the process which was my dumbass fault for taking it off incorrectly so I had to make a makeshift egr valve block plate and now how have to epoxy the pipe sticking out of the exhaust manifold in order to get rid of this exhaust leak which makes my car sound type ghetto

Vg30ekid 01-17-2018 06:00 PM

The old valve cover gasket was so old and crusty it felt like plastic and snapped multiple times when I was removing them since I did both sides because I may as well have if I was doing one side

ac max 92 01-18-2018 07:41 AM

Good job. Glad you got it done o.k. Good luck on fixing your exhaust leak. At least your not leaking oil now.