Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   BIG Problem (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/700605-big-problem.html)

klt2000 02-13-2018 04:48 PM

BIG Problem

This is the biggest problem I have ever had.
1989 Nissan Maxima. I have no inside lights or radio or anything. Turn the key on still nothing...nothing works. I start the car and everything works...radio everything. Also the alternator is not charging the battery. The alternator has been removed and bench tested and passed.
The ignition switch was been changed with a new switch...no change.
The relays on the fuse panel have been changed around with no change to the problem.
I am driving the car by charging the battery with external battery charger. Everything works (blinkers, radio, all lights inside and out) as long as the car is running.
Please does anyone have any idea?

DennisMik 02-13-2018 09:45 PM

I would check all the fusible links and fuses in the fuse box that is under the hood between the battery and the fender.

klt2000 02-15-2018 08:09 PM

No interior electrical of any kind

I have checked the fuses in the box under the hood next to the battery. All are ok...I ohm tested each one and all pass. The two relays seem to be ok also...each passes ohm test on the circuit that is not a switch.
So far I have checked, the main fusible link,
all the fuses and relays inside the car, and I have replaced the ignition switch.
But everything works once the car is started

Hectic 02-17-2018 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by klt2000 (Post 9168622)
This is the biggest problem I have ever had.
1989 Nissan Maxima. I have no inside lights or radio or anything. Turn the key on still nothing...nothing works. I start the car and everything works...radio everything. Also the alternator is not charging the battery. The alternator has been removed and bench tested and passed.
The ignition switch was been changed with a new switch...no change.
The relays on the fuse panel have been changed around with no change to the problem.
I am driving the car by charging the battery with external battery charger. Everything works (blinkers, radio, all lights inside and out) as long as the car is running.
Please does anyone have any idea?

If the biggest problem you have ever had, is no power when you turn the ignition switch on a 1989 Maxima, consider yourself lucky.

Vg30ekid 02-22-2018 12:22 PM

Check the radio fuse on the back of the head unit for the radio is what I would for that but for the rest of the lights inside the car I don’t know.

klt2000 03-11-2018 04:54 PM

No interior electrical of any kind

I am still having the a major problem with my 1989 Maxima. There is absolutely nothing electrical working in the car, no door lights radio, automatic shoulder strap, until the car is started, then everything works. Even turning the key on before starting nothing comes on. The problem that happened at the same time this problem happened is that the alternator is not getting to the battery. I have taken the alternator off and had it bench tested and it passed.
All fuses have been checked in the car and under the hood next to the battery....all ok. It would seem that a bad fuses wouldn't work either before or after the car was started.
I have checked the battery cables and all seem to be ok.
Thanks