Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Reman power steering pump (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/700839-reman-power-steering-pump.html)

Starrider 03-12-2018 09:44 PM

Reman power steering pump

Hi Guys...

Had Service replace power steer pump. Service writer said tech said it was leaking ...so i ok it via phone. The car steers quietly while moving however when stopped and turning the wheel either way ... a slight noise is heard some times again only when wheel is turned a quarter way? Any ideas as to what is the cause? Thanks in advance :)

ac max 92 03-13-2018 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Starrider (Post 9170737)
Hi Guys...

Had Service replace power steer pump. Service writer said tech said it was leaking ...so i ok it via phone. The car steers quietly while moving however when stopped and turning the wheel either way ... a slight noise is heard some times again only when wheel is turned a quarter way? Any ideas as to what is the cause? Thanks in advance :)

Could just be the belt needing re tightened being they would have taken the belt off to replace the pump but I'd take it back to them and let them know about the noise your hearing just incase it's something else. They shouldn't charge you again just to re tighten the belt being you already paid them to install a new pump and if there's something wrong with the pump it should be covered under parts and labour.

Starrider 03-13-2018 02:53 PM

Thanks ac max 92 !!! Told service writer about this issue... there protocol is for customer to go over this with the tech that worked on the car? Not just another mechanic.

DennisMik 03-14-2018 04:17 AM

The technicians at a dealership are paid by the job, not by the hour. If they have another tech work on the car, they have to pay him. So they get the original tech to fix it and they don't have to pay him again.

Starrider 03-14-2018 10:21 PM

Thanks DennisMik for the info...

ac max 92 03-15-2018 06:59 AM

Hopefully you just need a little more tension on the belt. Keep us posted with what the dealership does and if the issue got fixed. They should make good on their work.

Vg30ekid 04-10-2018 11:15 AM

I know you probably fixed this but what kinda of noise was it grinding or squealing

chrome91 04-11-2018 10:14 PM

likely just last bits of air making its way out of the system or belt noise

Starrider 04-12-2018 02:45 AM

Hi Guys...

Took car and noisy pump back to service...They replaced the 'new rebuilt' pump with another 'new rebuilt'...they had installed. Their is no more noise. There was no charge for new part and replacement. However if the second pump is defect...they wrote that if the pump needs replacement again...labor will be not guaranteed something to that effect. :)

ac max 92 04-12-2018 07:05 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted out Starrider. Good to hear they made good on their work. They should warranty parts and labour it's not your fault you got a lemon pump and if it's their own product they're using and not aftermarket then nissan should look after the labour too for your troubles no matter how many times within their warranty period which should be at least 1 year parts and labour..