Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   New Guy looking at 4DSC (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/701836-new-guy-looking-4dsc.html)

MaximaGLX 07-06-2018 10:26 AM

New Guy looking at 4DSC

I will be looking at a '93 GXE this Sunday to potentially buy, but I need some advice. What should I look for as far as problems go? Do the automatics hold up? The Sonar Suspension? My plan is to drive it as a regular work car while fixing up small bugs, just to bring it to factory shape. My only experience with one of these was test driving a white GXE (which I kinda wish I had bought). My main experience is in old Volvos. I have a link below for anyone that wants to see pics.

EDIT: Car has sold!

Darkwing48 07-06-2018 11:09 AM

Transmissions! The Automatic Transmission is the weakest link in the GXEs. I'm not sure how to tell if the are going bad but that is one to look for.
Make sure the Dash Components work too. I'll let more experienced people chime in.

MaximaGLX 07-06-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48 (Post 9178661)
Transmissions! The Automatic Transmission is the weakest link in the GXEs. I'm not sure how to tell if the are going bad but that is one to look for.
Make sure the Dash Components work too. I'll let more experienced people chime in.

Usually I can tell a transmissions going bad with a quick drive, fluid inspection, and just feeling the shifts while inspecting for delays or roughness. That does concern me though, since I've never done transmission work myself beyond fluids and minor adjustments.

Turbobink 07-06-2018 12:05 PM

Honestly, if you like the car and you're not going to be disappointed when repairs or replacements are needed, then buy it.

It's 25 years old ... regardless of the mileage ... it's 25 years old.

It's going to need attention, especially as a daily driver and a $1,000 daily driver at that.

MaximaGLX 07-06-2018 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink (Post 9178665)
Honestly, if you like the car and you're not going to be disappointed when repairs or replacements are needed, then buy it.

It's 25 years old ... regardless of the mileage ... it's 25 years old.

It's going to need attention, especially as a daily driver and a $1,000 daily driver at that.

All comes down to the kind of repair, I dont mind an air filter or spark-plug, but the bizarre triceratops antennae could be an unneeded nuisance.

DennisMik 07-07-2018 07:51 AM

The antenna isn't that big of an issue. The most common failure is that water comes down the antenna shaft and builds up in the bottom case where a printed circuit board shorts out.

chrome91 07-07-2018 08:38 AM

transmissions, the auto trans in GXE is made for 4 cylinder engines. with the V6 they blow early, i was able to get mine to 430k km through mostly highway driving and being easy on it

look for rust near the rear wheel well where the rear door meets it at the bottom as well, water drains there and everywhere but desert theres gonna be some rust

MaximaGLX 07-07-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 9178695)
The antenna isn't that big of an issue. The most common failure is that water comes down the antenna shaft and builds up in the bottom case where a printed circuit board shorts out.

Its the possible rust that concerns me, and the wiring which I'll probably have to sort out.

Originally Posted by chrome91 (Post 9178696)
transmissions, the auto trans in GXE is made for 4 cylinder engines. with the V6 they blow early, i was able to get mine to 430k km through mostly highway driving and being easy on it

Yea, I'm kinda wondering if I should look for a 4th-gen just to avoid that, I'd be giving up the sonar suspension but I should get sturdier transmissions.

maximagician 07-08-2018 02:18 AM

did the 93 even have the sonar suspension option? ive only seen it on 89-90 with digi dash

antenna drain also joins the rear passenger sunroof drain and can back up and drip water from the sunroof-access it from the jack storage flap door

rust can build up in the fuel neck cover in the rear drivers wheel well
and also spread to the nearby rear drivers side shoulder belt mount
if thats the case jus go full roll cage yeah!

MaximaGLX 07-08-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician (Post 9178752)
did the 93 even have the sonar suspension option? ive only seen it on 89-90 with digi dash

antenna drain also joins the rear passenger sunroof drain and can back up and drip water from the sunroof-access it from the jack storage flap door

rust can build up in the fuel neck cover in the rear drivers wheel well
and also spread to the nearby rear drivers side shoulder belt mount
if thats the case jus go full roll cage yeah!

I have no idea if they got it or not

I do want to update though, the car has sold so I wont be getting that one, thank you everyone for your input!

chrome91 07-09-2018 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician (Post 9178752)

pretty sure as far as i remember all years of Brougham edition were digi dash and sonar suspension

Starrider 12-08-2018 12:33 AM

I drive a 94 gxe...as i am an easy driver ...no trans problems at 160k. Change trans oil every 50k miles...when at stop...shift to neutral. Engine still runs strong and passes smog test. No dents or door dings as i am careful how and where i park in a parking lot...
Bought car new in 1994 and though i have been looking at new cars...haven't found anything. If they had a new ...i say new 94 gxe ...i would buy it. Otherwise you are just buying a car that may need a lot of TLC.