Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Feeling Nostalgic/Possibly Looking for a '94 (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/702898-feeling-nostalgic-possibly-looking-94-a.html)

bunnspecial 11-12-2018 08:07 PM

Feeling Nostalgic/Possibly Looking for a '94

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and am mostly one of those weird guys who goes nuts over British sports cars.

With that said, my first car was a '94 Maxima GXE. I drove it from the time I was 16 until I was 20 and put a fair few miles on it, but was eventually lured away by V8s and rear wheel drive. In retrospect, I didn't appreciate just what I had then and how great of a car I took for granted.

I've been toying with the idea of finding another Maxima. I specifically want a 3rd gen, and would be partial to a '94, although condition and options would obviously take precedence over the specific year.

Must-haves for me on this one would be an SE with a 5 speed(my last was an auto, and while it certainly wasn't bad I want this as a fun car). I've become rather partial to the tan/gold color I seem to see on a lot of cars, but again am not 100% married to that(my last one was red, and it would be nice to see that again). Also, just for fun, I remember a heads-up speedo being listed in the manual-I don't recall actually seeing a car with one. Do these exist, and if so how common are they? I'm pretty well a stock guy and would prefer buying a car pretty much that way, although I don't mind performance mods as long as they're not over the top or didn't require hacking up the car to make stuff fit.

I'm certainly not in a hurry, and don't mind to wait for exactly what I want. My big problem, though, is that I seem to see few 3rd gen cars on the road anymore, much less for sale.

With that said, though, is there anything I need to be aware of when shopping? My last one was never particularly problematic. The single most expensive shop visit when I had mine was the timing belt replacement, which was done as PM at ~90K.. I did some other PM work, but the only thing I remember "breaking" per se was a rear window regulator. Do I need to watch for rust or anything else?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone might be able to offer, as well as potential leads on cars.

Thanks!

chrome91 11-12-2018 10:01 PM

Brougham edition GXE came with the digi dash and HUD, i still have a gauge cluster from one sitting in my basement so they do exist. if you want to convert a analog cluster to digi dash you need the fuel level sending unit among a bunch of other things, basically the whole entire wiring harness

92-94 SE would be a VE30DE so no timing belt just timing chain, theyre bad for clacking VTC and its an expensive fix. to get rid of the noise you can just ground them which is what most people end up doing. if you end up looking at GXE, the auto trans in them is weak and most of them end up toasting by 160,000km unless theyre babied or have all highway mileage. bad spots for rust are the front fenders towards the door, rear door water drain area, and spoiler if it has one

check the for sale section and there might be 1-2 92-94 SE that were listed in the last year or so that might still be for sale but otherwise Ebay etc is pretty dry for them