3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension Tech Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:15 AM

Re: I have ST's and love them..

where did you measure? the reason why the front looks higher is because the wheel well is larger/fender is higher in front than in the back, what size tires do you have on your 18s
Old 12-18-2002, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by James12345

Eibach makes a 1.2 and 1.5 drop but I think only the 1.2 is available for the 3rd gen..

ST: 1.5 (and tend to ride higher in the front)

Intrax: 1.75

Arospeed: 1.75

Sprint: 1.8 (People like to say 2" for some reason though)

There's also some other springs available like Dropzone (I think?) and some other lesser heard of brands...
I know people have said that STs are a 1.5" drop, but I measured before and after like it said to do in the instructions and mine dropped more? I don't know if it was because I got them 3 years ago or what, but I dunno.?? That's why I've always disagreed with that.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:05 AM

Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

Originally posted by maxedout94
where did you measure? the reason why the front looks higher is because the wheel well is larger/fender is higher in front than in the back, what size tires do you have on your 18s
Do you know how many times I've tried to explain that??? I don't think anyone gets it, though. Alot of BMWs are the same way, I've noticed. The wheel wells aren't as tall in the rear...
Old 12-18-2002, 11:08 AM
wints12

Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

Originally posted by nismo1989

Do you know how many times I've tried to explain that??? I don't think anyone gets it, though. Alot of BMWs are the same way, I've noticed. The wheel wells aren't as tall in the rear...
could i do anything about that? swap the front springs out with something else?? intrax? sprint? hell, my roommate's eibachs are lower than my STs

Old 12-18-2002, 11:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

Originally posted by wints12

could i do anything about that? swap the front springs out with something else?? intrax? sprint? hell, my roommate's eibachs are lower than my STs
oops, that was actually me, my friend was logged in on my computer and i didnt realize it.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok since this is on suspension, would eibach and koni's be the best for handling purposes or is there an even better combo? i don't really mind ride quality as much as i do cornering quality.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:22 AM

no, did you just get them on, b/c if so just wait a little while and it will be fine, i almost made the mistake of cutting a coil off the fronts, glad i didnt. i dont see how your roommates are lower unless hes had them on for a few years.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by wints12

Why would you want to? Do you really want the front to be that much lower than the back?? It's not that they sag in the back, that is bs. If they do, you've done something wrong. I'm trying to tell you it's the design of the car. I've had them measured over and over again, and when you look at the bottom of the car instead of the top of the wheel wells, it even looks even.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:30 PM

Oh, and Mark- I would say that Eibachs and Konis are going to give you the best handling ride of all 'out-of-the-box' setups for sure. That way you can match the damping rate to the spring rate of the Eibachs, which everyone knows to be stiffer.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:06 PM

thanks. i'll start saving $739
Old 12-18-2002, 04:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

Why would you want to? Do you really want the front to be that much lower than the back?? It's not that they sag in the back, that is bs. If they do, you've done something wrong. I'm trying to tell you it's the design of the car. I've had them measured over and over again, and when you look at the bottom of the car instead of the top of the wheel wells, it even looks even.
i just want the drop to LOOK even. i know even looking drops handle well (evidence of my roommates eibach setup), i know they look good, and its such a negligable difference with ground clearance it wont be an issue.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

im sure im not the only one thinking this but if you like your roommates suspension setup so much then why did you not do the same as him??
Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

Originally posted by maxedout94
im sure im not the only one thinking this but if you like your roommates suspension setup so much then why did you not do the same as him??
if anyone can verify that jdwyer's springs(my roommate bought jon's car) are NOT factory freaks and they are infact just settled, then i will
Old 12-18-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

man what the hell are you talking about
Old 12-19-2002, 04:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have ST's and love them..

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

i just want the drop to LOOK even. i know even looking drops handle well (evidence of my roommates eibach setup), i know they look good, and its such a negligable difference with ground clearance it wont be an issue.
The reason your roomate's drop looks so even is because it's such a small of a drop it decieves your eye. Now you're just being silly.

I'm trying to tell you that STs won't drop it more in the back. You don't have to believe me, but I've had it measured to prove it. It's the design in the wheel wells. The rear will 'tuck' a little more than the front because the top of the rear wheel well is lower (on the outside part that you see) than the front. That doesn't impact the way your car will handle. The spring rate will have more impact than that, it will have an impact on the way the weight of the car shifts and such. If you want Eibachs, go get some Eibachs and quit
b!tchin. If you want your STs, then let them settle and you'll be alright. If they don't settle evenly (by measurement, not by your obviously disfunctional eye) then you have a problem and either need to repair something or get some new springs.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:42 PM

Amen Brother!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:50 PM

The reason your roomate's drop looks so even is because it's such a small of a drop it decieves your eye. Now you're just being silly.

I'm trying to tell you that STs won't drop it more in the back. You don't have to believe me, but I've had it measured to prove it. It's the design in the wheel wells. The rear will 'tuck' a little more than the front because the top of the rear wheel well is lower (on the outside part that you see) than the front. That doesn't impact the way your car will handle. The spring rate will have more impact than that, it will have an impact on the way the weight of the car shifts and such. If you want Eibachs, go get some Eibachs and quit
b!tchin. If you want your STs, then let them settle and you'll be alright. If they don't settle evenly (by measurement, not by your obviously disfunctional eye) then you have a problem and either need to repair something or get some new springs.
exactly how long does it take for a spring to settle? a year? 2 years? 10 years? back to the coilover drawing board.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:35 PM

what would be the next best choice under koni struts?
Old 12-20-2002, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by mtcookson
what would be the next best choice under koni struts?
Tokico blues and the Eibachs. With your particular setup (or future set up, I should say) you wouldn't want to go with anything less than the tokicos, and I really wouldn't go with anything less than the Eibachs considering you future plans for the car's function(s). Go ahead and save for the Konis, Mark. If I can help you I will. We're going to get both of the projects running by this spring, Mark. I think we can. After the first of the year we'll be getting a lot of things going with NIO and I'll be looking to you for as much help as I can, being the senior member of the chapter under me. Are we meeting with Jared and Bryan tonight?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:02 AM

i can't tonight, my parents decided to head to kansas (where all of my family is) for christmas since it wasn't snowing. i can't seem to win, there is always something keeping me from getting to go up there.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:32 PM

i read through the thread...

and it is hard to actually tell if any type on conclusion has been made due to the arguing. Inevitable i know, but i have a same sort of question. It i just wanted to stop the car from being so sloppy and jumpy over bumps, without sacrificing too much on the ride quality, what would be a good strut/spring setup?

-payne-
Old 12-23-2002, 09:26 AM

Re: i read through the thread...

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
and it is hard to actually tell if any type on conclusion has been made due to the arguing. Inevitable i know, but i have a same sort of question. It i just wanted to stop the car from being so sloppy and jumpy over bumps, without sacrificing too much on the ride quality, what would be a good strut/spring setup?

-payne-
my STs are comfortable, i cant really comment about ride quality as i bought the car with blown struts on stock springs, and that was just terrible, theni replaced the struts with GR-2s and STs at the same time. but comparing it to my dad's 97 SE, its slightly softer but handles alot better. great combo if you ask me.

P.S. i'm selling my STs, PM if interested.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:30 PM

Re: i read through the thread...

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-

-payne-
STs with GR2s are a great setup, especially if cost is a factor... unless you want it to look 'slammed'
Old 01-27-2003, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: Suspension Tech Springs

Originally posted by flyry110

i thought the eibachs felt sloppier than my ST's. for some reason. Prolly the progression. i like the feel of a linear spring better. Depending on what size sidewall you're gonna be running. If you're rollin around on 35 series tires, it's gonna be rough no matter what spring you have. . ..

BTW, my ST's have a very nice ride with 45 series tires
Could someone direct me to a website that will actually explain the differences in the numbers used for tire sizes.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Suspension Tech Springs

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Could someone direct me to a website that will actually explain the differences in the numbers used for tire sizes.

www.tirerack.com I think. Somewhere on that site it explains the aspect ratio of the tire sizes. If not, you oculd always do a SEARCH on the www.howthingswork.com or something like that...
Old 01-29-2003, 01:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Suspension Tech Springs

Originally posted by C-Dawg

215 / 45 / 16 P

215 = side wall to side wall width

45 = how tall the side wall is bigger number taller side wall

16 = size of the rim in inchs

p = passenger tire

brand of tire usually has a minor difference in size too

like my friends supras for example
one of his cars have Yokohamas 245's in the rear
and the other one has Sumitomo 285's in the rear

the Yokohamas were actually wider than the 285's