Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Should I take off my 18"s...I'm going on a road trip??? (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/93011-should-i-take-off-my-18-s-im-going-road-trip.html)

veejayes 06-06-2002 01:38 PM

Should I take off my 18"s...I'm going on a road trip???

Should I put my factory 16" alloys back on..I'm driving to Florida from CT...What do you guys think?? Lemme know whats up...

SkyMax 06-06-2002 03:25 PM

Do you really have to ask this?? Use common sense. Do you want to risk taking a chance of blowing a tire and then swerving out of control? Put the 16's on.

D-sta 06-06-2002 05:46 PM

put the 16's on since you won't put tire wear on your good 18 inch tires

Pervis Anathema 06-06-2002 06:40 PM

Better yet, just roll out on your brake rotors. You will be fine.

darrick 06-06-2002 07:07 PM

whell

if you got it good enuff to roll 18s mabe you dont care about tread life ,so if you roll 18 you are rolling a larger di. whell you will bring down the gear rato in the tranny and save a little gas. I could be wrong but just a thought.

Michael 06-06-2002 09:47 PM

Re: whell

Originally posted by darrick
if you got it good enuff to roll 18s mabe you dont care about tread life ,so if you roll 18 you are rolling a larger di. whell you will bring down the gear rato in the tranny and save a little gas. I could be wrong but just a thought.
Well the gear ratio is the diameter of the tire not the wheel so if his 18s have a tire that is the same size around as stock the gear ratio will not change and in order to get better mpg you would need to raise(not lower) the ratio (taller tires=higher ratio=lower cruising rpm)

I would put the 16s back on for the trip unless the 16s are wore bad.

have a safe trip.

veejayes 06-06-2002 10:18 PM

Re: Should I take off my 18"s...I'm going on a road trip???

Thanks for the input people...

bigjay 06-06-2002 11:59 PM

right, i would use the larger diam. tire

to keep the miles down, plus youll look like a scrub in florida with out nice rims, they have some bad as* cars down there. go down there profileing like a piznimp f$ck the tire's, you bought em to profile right

Brave Ulysses 06-07-2002 12:28 AM

to keep the miles down, plus youll look like a scrub in florida with out nice rims, they have some bad as* cars down there. go down there profileing like a piznimp f$ck the tire's, you bought em to profile right
Do you have down syndrome? All your posts are incoherent and/or stupid.

As far as the 18's go, it wouldn't save you any gas mileage to use them, assuming they have the same overall diameter as the stock setup.

And, if you think about the width of the tires...having wider tires increases rolling resistance, which decreases gas mileage.

bigjay 06-07-2002 12:51 AM

you are a fuc@ing moron!

if you put a rim and tire on a "car", and it is bigger in diam. than stock it will make the miles on your "odometer" go by "slower" do you get that corky!!??:rolleyes:

Brave Ulysses 06-07-2002 12:57 AM

Sorry, I was under the assumption that most people are smart enough, that when they buy new wheels and tires, that (ideally) you would get "Plus Sizing" (maybe you've heard of it). Which means you decrease the sidewall as you increase the diameter of the wheel. This results in an overall size that is near the stock size.

So, in closing, thanks for playing, shut up, sit down and stick to being a retard, you're better at it than making sensible, logical statements on a public message board.

bigjay 06-07-2002 01:05 AM

you are a fuc@ing dope,

you were talking about gas mileage, and who are you to talk your car sucks, what do you know about rims, you dont have any. get some little man them come talk to me about rims:laugh:

Brave Ulysses 06-07-2002 01:16 AM

First of all, I'd like to applaud you on your "mastery" of the English language.

I'd like to thank you for pointing out the fact that I don't have any wheels on my car, I've had the most pleasure of driving my car directly on the disc brakes for the past 6 months. Maybe this revelation will help to purchase of rims in the future to alleviate my problems.

Anyway, you can ask any knowledgable person about what I've said, and they'll agree to the validity of my statements without using pathetic cop-outs like "you don't have heavy ugly chrome rims like I do, you are therefore forbidden to speak about them".

I only *wish* I were as cool as you, but I doubt I could ever achieve such a degree of coolness as yourself.

bigjay 06-07-2002 01:25 AM

funny little man,

what were talking about is 18's, and you don't have them, so how do you know how these cars drive with 18's to give an opinion if you have 15's? how do you know how they drive? and all you statement said was that you ***- umed and made a mistake. stan:rolleyes: