4th Generation Classifieds (1995-1999) The highly sought after variable intake may be a click away.

VA WTB: 3" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 05:46 PM
Lightly modded

WTB: 3" exhaust

I'm interested in upgrading from my 2.5" to a 3", does anyone have one for sale?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you considered Trubendz? Used them for my 3'' catback, no complaints whatsoever. Youll need to add your own components, and have it all welded, but otherwise I think trying to find a quality 3'' exhaust this day and age is going to be like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack lol
https://www.trubendz.com/products/95...stainless.html

Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Have you considered Trubendz? Used them for my 3'' catback, no complaints whatsoever. Youll need to add your own components, and have it all welded, but otherwise I think trying to find a quality 3'' exhaust this day and age is going to be like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack lol
https://www.trubendz.com/products/95...stainless.html
Actually, yes, I found out about them after posting this thread up. I'll probably end up going that route. Thanks though!
Old 03-28-2020, 04:04 AM

The car you’re planning to upgrade with exhaust is already notably modified, yes?

Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Turbobink
The car you’re planning to upgrade with exhaust is already notably modified, yes?
It's not over the top, but yeah, it's modded. Why do you ask?
Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
It's not over the top, but yeah, it's modded. Why do you ask?
I’m running a 2.5” Megan Racing cat-back in combination with OE exhaust manifolds and a Warpspeed Y-pipe.

I’m also running a JWT SRI.

With these upgrades being left “wide open” I experience notable daily driver acceleration and low end torque impacts ... and not good the kind. Keep in mind that I am not a street or strip racer by any stretch of the imagination.

I’ve played with creating restrictions either in the intake or exhaust portions of the set-up and currently have it tweaked to where I’m pretty happy with things.

Point being, based on my personal experience, I’m not confident that further reducing exhaust restriction beyond that created by the use of a 2.5” exhaust is effective as far performance goes.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 AM

I’m running a 2.5” Megan Racing cat-back in combination with OE exhaust manifolds and a Warpspeed Y-pipe.

With these upgrades being left “wide open” I experience notable daily driver acceleration and low end torque impacts ... and not good the kind. Keep in mind that I am not a street or strip racer by any stretch of the imagination.

I’ve played with creating restrictions either in the intake or exhaust portions of the set-up and currently have it tweaked to where I’m pretty happy with things.

Point being, based on my personal experience, I’m not confident that further reducing exhaust restriction beyond that created by the use of a 2.5” exhaust is effective as far performance goes.
I assume those are your only performance mods? I had a 3" exhaust on my old 3.0 because I knew I was either going to cam it or 3.5 swap. I wouldn't put another 3" exhaust on a stock internal 3.0.
However, Nick's 3.5 swapped racecar is another story...
Old 05-03-2020, 02:59 PM

I used them for my 4th gen about 8-9 year ago a it's still going strong...I installed a Magnaflow 5" X 11" x 22" x 2.5" (in/out) rear muffler, and a 4" round x 18" x 2.5" resonator and that's what I would do install the biggest muffler you can fit period!
Old 05-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Lightly modded

At this point I think I'm going to build my own and learn how to weld on it. TruBendz 304 SS 3" piping, Carltonator Magnaflow 18"/6"/3" resonator, and possibly Magnaflow 12588 muffler.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
At this point I think I'm going to build my own and learn how to weld on it. TruBendz 304 SS 3" piping, Carltonator Magnaflow 18"/6"/3" resonator, and possibly Magnaflow 12588 muffler.
You can go bigger for the resonator. I have a magnaflow 30"/6/3, and used to have the 18" that you mentioned. The 30" sounds better imo.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:48 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by TSelanne
You can go bigger for the resonator. I have a magnaflow 30"/6/3, and used to have the 18" that you mentioned. The 30" sounds better imo.
I would, but I may need to be able to reinstall the cat for emissions. Plus, I don't think the 30" will fit with my SFCs. I'll probably use the big Vibrant resonated test pipe in place of my cat to get a similar effect.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:31 AM

Do yourself a favor and compress the rear suspension without the struts when you finalize placement on the section over the rear axle.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
Do yourself a favor and compress the rear suspension without the struts when you finalize placement on the section over the rear axle.
Oof, it's that tight, huh? Good tip!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:31 AM

It's just one of those things where you'll swear you have a ton of room until you hit a big bump and you hear it make contact. It's just better to have it as far up as you can.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:57 AM

That will have no effect on the placement of the exhaust.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Administrator

It's kinda of tight in that section, but not as bad as you make it seem. I have a 4" Ti exhaust with no banging issues.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:59 PM

I had a 'custom' 3" that I bought off someone on the org who didn't loop it properly, among other things.. Clearance seemed fine going in, even with the weight of the car compressing the suspension. It ended up making contact and I had to re-do that section.

I'm not saying it's threading a needle, but why not have it way up and out of the way to avoid what I went through?

Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Administrator

I'm not saying it's threading a needle, but why not have it way up and out of the way to avoid what I went through?
I can agree with that statement. Careful planning and thinking it through during the design/welding phase will yield a system w/o banging issues.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I assume those are your only performance mods? I had a 3" exhaust on my old 3.0 because I knew I was either going to cam it or 3.5 swap. I wouldn't put another 3" exhaust on a stock internal 3.0.
However, Nick's 3.5 swapped racecar is another story...
​​​​​​
only responding in case someone does a Google search.

Everything must work together to be effective.

190/210 whp/wtq was acheived on a relatively stock 3.0 with a 3" exhaust on my car.

Along with 30mpg in the city and about 40mpg on the highway.

With a 3" exhaust and relatively lightly modded vehicle (stock 99 3.0 anyways.... Not even an 00vi).

Food for thought, consider the whole build before anything. If you have a relatively limited exhaust setup (stock manifolds and a y-pipe for example) then probably a 2.5" is all you need.

But if your going for the best you can be with any of our v6s then at least a 3" exhaust is needed.

That is all. I'm outtttt.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
​​​​​​
only responding in case someone does a Google search.

Everything must work together to be effective.

190/210 whp/wtq was acheived on a relatively stock 3.0 with a 3" exhaust on my car.

Along with 30mpg in the city and about 40mpg on the highway.

With a 3" exhaust and relatively lightly modded vehicle (stock 99 3.0 anyways.... Not even an 00vi).

Food for thought, consider the whole build before anything. If you have a relatively limited exhaust setup (stock manifolds and a y-pipe for example) then probably a 2.5" is all you need.

But if your going for the best you can be with any of our v6s then at least a 3" exhaust is needed.

That is all. I'm outtttt.
I won’t and don’t take any opinion or other perspective as an argument.

Others have different observations, experience and maybe even expertise in putting stuff together? So be it.

I was just outlining what I’ve observed with my car and advising some additional thought before any trigger is pulled.