4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock sensor & Neutral safety switch codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 08:14 PM

Knock sensor & Neutral safety switch codes

I am getting two codes on my 96 I30t 5 speed. One is the knock sensor code and the other is the Park/Neutral safety switch code. Anyone know where these switches are located? The car runs and starts great but the Check engine light stays on even after resetting the ECU to confirm hem. A month ago I got the Neutral safety switch code and reset the ECU and the light stayed out until yesterday. I'm guessing the neutral safety switch is just there to make sure the clutch is to the floor so the car won't start in gear and lurch forward. This car has always been willing to knock or detonate very easily if you drove hard or with A/C on and you didn't use super unleaded. Does a working knock sensor retard timing to reduce or eliminate knock? Any help locating these would be appreciated. I don't have a service manual yet and tend to dislike the aftermarket ones (Chilton, Haynes, etc).

Thanx,
LeeinKY
Old 07-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Ramius83

Basically, an engine will always have some knock because that is mechanical, where as a sensor, like your knock sensor, is electrical. Your knock sensor looks like a screw underneath your intake. Now, for the park/neutral safety switch on a 5-speed, I do not know since mine is an auto. But I am pretty sure it is located on either your tranny or your actual clutch (that little little switch that your clutch hits whenever engaged). But you would have to check a Haynes manual to be sure of this......