4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 01:21 PM

Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

Hey Max Experts, I need some professional advice. I went to look at a dark green 97 SE 5spd with 54K miles. I checked carfax and it said it has a salvaged title. When I talked to the guy, he said it was hit in the back left quarter panel. He also said the front end was stripped (bumper, lights, fenders, and doors) once. When I looked at it, it looked good, except for a the paint job on the left rear. You could tell it was repainted but not bad though... Everything else looked good.. interior was good, engine was good. Driving it was good. The only other thing is that could be a problem is that when driving it, the steering wheel pulled left when going over 30. He was asking 8000 but is something like 7400 or 7500 good for this? I know its hard to tell without seeing it but do any of you have a salvaged title car that drives fine?? I plan to keep this car, and don't want to spend more money fixing the alignment or buying tires if they start eating unevenly.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:34 PM

Re: Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

Originally posted by johnnyo319
Hey Max Experts, I need some professional advice. I went to look at a dark green 97 SE 5spd with 54K miles. I checked carfax and it said it has a salvaged title. When I talked to the guy, he said it was hit in the back left quarter panel. He also said the front end was stripped (bumper, lights, fenders, and doors) once. When I looked at it, it looked good, except for a the paint job on the left rear. You could tell it was repainted but not bad though... Everything else looked good.. interior was good, engine was good. Driving it was good. The only other thing is that could be a problem is that when driving it, the steering wheel pulled left when going over 30. He was asking 8000 but is something like 7400 or 7500 good for this? I know its hard to tell without seeing it but do any of you have a salvaged title car that drives fine?? I plan to keep this car, and don't want to spend more money fixing the alignment or buying tires if they start eating unevenly.
Don't get a salvaged titled car. You may end up with more problems that he's told you about. I think the extra $$ is worth the piece of mind later.

Kevin
Old 07-23-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

I don't think that.. When you get a salavged car you get a discount on the price.. If you have it check before buying then it is worth it.. If you are getting a $1500 price discount you will NOT NOT NOT NOT have $1500 of additional problems... On top of that you don't who has wrecked their car before salavge title only comes up if the insurance company took the car away and sent it to the auction.. Trust me there are plenty of folks who messed up their car quite bad and stiull have a clean title. You are a fool to pay full price when you can get a discount because of prior damage that has been disclosed and properly repaired and inspected.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm so hood

I think I'd be more keen to the idea of salvage titles if I was proficient in working on cars. But less if I wasn't. Sure, you can get it inspected somewhere, but I mean, Jiffy Lube messes up oil changes...if one random mechanic (especially a dealer service mechanic) inspects it and gives his seal of approval, that's not saying a whole lot.

Besides, I think a salvage title automatically decreases the value of a car at least 40-45%, so you should never just get "$1500" taken off for a salvage. In this instance I'd probably try to ask $7,000 or so.
Back left was hit and front end was stripped, two separate instances?

I can't see either separate instances warranting a salvaged title. Replacing the rear quarter panel and surrounding parts shouldn't amount to more than $2,000 (w/labor included) I'd think, which isn't enough to warrant a salvaged title on a car like that. Unless the rear really got smacked and other things in the rear got wrecked...

I dunno, a lot of times it still seems like too much of a gamble in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

woah, for a second i thought that salvaged car was the one i stripped for my parts for conversion...the car i stripped was a dark green 97 maxima 5 speed that got hit in the back, the front was stripped but was also missing a tranny
Old 07-23-2002, 01:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

I agree to an extent... if you know what a decent amount about cars, then its a great deal, especially if the damage was mostly to the rear of the car.

However, you need to be careful, and if you don't know a good bit about cars, I would't do it.

My car has been wrecked 3 times (a dear, a curb, and a lebaron) and still runs fine and if I asked you if my car had been wrecked, I really doubt you could tell. However, I've done quite a bit of work on other cars so I'm confident that I could fix any problems I run into.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:16 PM

MY 97 max was salvaged (is now reconstructed title)

Buying a salvaged car is risky. in my case i repaired mine so i know it was properly reconstructed. A car which has been in an accident can be restored to about 95% of it's structural integrity...but it depends on who did it and for what purpose. my cousin owns a body shop and he is into the business of reconstructing cars and selling them. let me tell you that when he is selling a car there are alot of shortcuts which he takes in order to save money and in turn make more on the sale. This is why buying a salvaged car is risky. you may end up with a car with alot of squeaks, unfixable alignments, cheap replacement parts and cheap paint. in the long run its not worth the money unless you know who did it or you purchased the car at the auction yourself and know in what condition it was in and how well it was fixed. My car was overhauled properly,welded at weak points, all parts were replaced not repaired(yes they do try to "straighten" some parts)and all parts were good quality mid-range quality bodyparts(nissan OEM body parts cost an arm and a leg about $300 for a fender) which are second to OEM and cost about 1/3 less like $100 for a fender not $300 like nissan wanted. My car was also painted with high quality exact paint(not some close match) and was done right. If you do the reconstruction process yourself it is considerabley cheaper though. i've done this various times for cars which i've sent to the Dominican Republic and sold them there. I bought and repaired a 97 toyota camry for about $3800 and sold it to my brother for about $5000 only cause he was my brother i couldv'e gotten about $7000-9000 for it. my maxima cost me the following:
totaled car-$2200
body parts-$998
miscellaneous(towing,temp plates)-$200
overhaul,paint materials,paint-$1000
sal;vage inspection process-$400= to $4798 for a fully loaded GLE not bad!!
keep in mind that all work was done by a family member and all parts were bought at wholesale prices (in the autobodies account) so the prices i list here are consideralby cheaper than what it should normally cost. the car had 68000 miles at the time and had one owner who was pretty old (there were some golf magazines in the trunk as well as some old guy clothes and the CD which was in the bose headunit was some country crap only god knows what it was so it wasn't abuse-trust me. It's a GLE with every option except for woodgrain (not that i wanted it) (it even had a power passenger seat and a garage door opener on the visor! who needs that)
Old 07-23-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I think I'd be more keen to the idea of salvage titles if I was proficient in working on cars. But less if I wasn't. Sure, you can get it inspected somewhere, but I mean, Jiffy Lube messes up oil changes...if one random mechanic (especially a dealer service mechanic) inspects it and gives his seal of approval, that's not saying a whole lot.

Besides, I think a salvage title automatically decreases the value of a car at least 40-45%, so you should never just get "$1500" taken off for a salvage. In this instance I'd probably try to ask $7,000 or so.
Back left was hit and front end was stripped, two separate instances?

I can't see either separate instances warranting a salvaged title. Replacing the rear quarter panel and surrounding parts shouldn't amount to more than $2,000 (w/labor included) I'd think, which isn't enough to warrant a salvaged title on a car like that. Unless the rear really got smacked and other things in the rear got wrecked...

I dunno, a lot of times it still seems like too much of a gamble in my opinion.
you're a little off... Salvage cars are inspected so meticulously that the car has to be pretty much back to its original form. My cousin is in the business of reconstructing them and selling them and even he after all this experience sometimes gets cars failed for such things as having overspray the windshield gasket!!! and $2000 to get a rear quarter bought replaced and painted! i don't think so.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm so hood

I was referring to a mechanic's inspection post-repair. It's a moot point to bring up a mandatory inspection involved in the rebuild process, especially after pointing out that your brother takes a bunch of shortcuts when repairing, etc. You're never sure what you're gonna get.

$2000 is generous, but it was with other nearby parts possibly damaged in consideration, to make a point that not even that, in its generosity, would warrant a salvaged title.

I think the best advice from this thread would be the more confident/experienced you are in working on a car, the less uneasy you should feel about a salvaged title.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I was referring to a mechanic's inspection post-repair. It's a moot point to bring up a mandatory inspection involved in the rebuild process, especially after pointing out that your brother takes a bunch of shortcuts when repairing, etc. You're never sure what you're gonna get.

$2000 is generous, but it was with other nearby parts possibly damaged in consideration, to make a point that not even that, in its generosity, would warrant a salvaged title.

I think the best advice from this thread would be the more confident/experienced you are in working on a car, the less uneasy you should feel about a salvaged title.
yup
Old 07-23-2002, 02:57 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

isn't a salvage car usually worth 50% of mkt value?
Old 07-23-2002, 03:08 PM

"Salvage Title" doesnt always mean the car was seriously wrecked. If a car was stolen and recovered, hence a new VIN was assigned, it gets a salvage title.

Is that owner the original owner?
Old 07-23-2002, 04:10 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with gettinga salvage titled car PROVIDED you know for certain what happened to it. If the car has beenr epaired to its original condition, why not?

If they can show you proof of the exact damage and repairs, then consider it. Otherwise, it's your call.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe the steering pulls to the left because the frame is bent.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:39 PM

I think he should have the alignment fixed. I think a good shop will be able to identify a bent frame when they try to align it...
Old 07-23-2002, 04:46 PM

if you don't know the person that is selling the car, it's tough. Plus, they might not disclose everything that was repaired on the car. And I doubt there's any type of warranty on a salvaged car. Plus, it's not worth that much to the average car buyer. So basically, I wouldn't pay alot for the car since you are taking more risk on the car.

I think i would rather have a car that was stolen and stripped, over a flooded one, or cracked up one.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by hokiemax
"Salvage Title" doesnt always mean the car was seriously wrecked. If a car was stolen and recovered, hence a new VIN was assigned, it gets a salvage title.

Is that owner the original owner?
The owner of the car right now isn't the original owner. He bought it off some mechanic who bought it and fixed it.. I don't know the seller but he is kinda young.. He only had it since May.. If I can convince him to get an alignment on the car and show me the printout that the alignment is ok all around then maybe it would be easier for me to buy it. Any mechanics here that live in or close to philly that would be willing to take a look?
Old 07-24-2002, 06:35 AM

never buy anything like this.You'll be stuck with it for a lifetime.You can get good maximas with around 90000 to 100000 miles for that price and and they'll last for another 100000 miles.
take care.
jay
Old 07-24-2002, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really don't like the fact car pulls to the side above 30mph, it could be alignment, or maybe bent frame? I'd stay away!
Old 07-24-2002, 07:38 AM

the blue book is roughly $8,000-$8500. With a salvage title the car is worth half of that. He either got ripped off from the guy who sold it to him, or he bought it for $4,000 and is looking for a big pay day.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:27 AM

Yes, if the car has salvage title, it's only worth like half of book value. Don't buy that car, unless you can get it for $3500 or $4000. Out of alignment is ok, but bent frames, oh no,, you dont wanna deal with that.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.. I think i'm gonna wait and find a better deal on a clear title max. If this means savin more money and borrowing to pay for school, then thats what i'll have to do for my dream MAX..
Old 08-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I got my 97 GXE AT more than a year ago. It has a salvage title because it was hit around the right rear door and the quarter panel back there. The dents were still there, only the quarter panel was fixed. I took my best friend's dad who's been doing body work for about 25 years and he assured me that to his eye there was nothing touched around the engine bay or below the car. The car had 62K miles and i got it for $6000 after taxes (I made the guy pay taxes, it's something you can do when they see all the cash in your hand). I also made him cover the smogging and the brake/light check thing. All I had to do was register the damn car and i was set. Although the dents were still there and the paint matching on the quarter panel was shady, i had a hook-up for the paint from a Nissan dealer, as well as the body work. it came out to like $500 for materials and stock paint. You always run a big risk, but I've had no problems yet. Yours is an SE 5spd model so maybe it'll go for a little more. Doesn't hurt to try getting it for $6500-7000...
Old 08-07-2002, 09:23 PM

Re: Re: Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

Originally posted by max002

I got my 97 GXE AT more than a year ago. It has a salvage title because it was hit around the right rear door and the quarter panel back there. The dents were still there, only the quarter panel was fixed. I took my best friend's dad who's been doing body work for about 25 years and he assured me that to his eye there was nothing touched around the engine bay or below the car. The car had 62K miles and i got it for $6000 after taxes (I made the guy pay taxes, it's something you can do when they see all the cash in your hand). I also made him cover the smogging and the brake/light check thing. All I had to do was register the damn car and i was set. Although the dents were still there and the paint matching on the quarter panel was shady, i had a hook-up for the paint from a Nissan dealer, as well as the body work. it came out to like $500 for materials and stock paint. You always run a big risk, but I've had no problems yet. Yours is an SE 5spd model so maybe it'll go for a little more. Doesn't hurt to try getting it for $6500-7000...
you definitely needs some 'friends in that area of work' to help you out
Old 08-08-2002, 12:38 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Re: Re: Re: Need advice on a Salvaged 97 SE

Originally posted by NickStam

you definitely needs some 'friends in that area of work' to help you out
Yeah, friends and friends' friends make a difference if you want to keep the bills to a minimum.