Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Need more power (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/103461-need-more-power.html)

bhaske1 07-28-2002 09:05 PM

Need more power

So my Blk/Blk loaded and tinted 98 SE with an auto got beat, by a minivan. I had the A/C on, overdrive off- to the floor the Odysey took me by 1/2 car length. I need more low end, what shall I do first? The only thing Ive done is removed the air silencer off the factory airbox. Can a gear be installed for awesome low end power?
Im going nuts:bawling:

Speebs 07-28-2002 09:14 PM

Re: Need more power

Originally posted by bhaske1
So my Blk/Blk loaded and tinted 98 SE with an auto got beat, by a minivan. I had the A/C on, overdrive off- to the floor the Odysey took me by 1/2 car length. I need more low end, what shall I do first? The only thing Ive done is removed the air silencer off the factory airbox. Can a gear be installed for awesome low end power?

I believe people have reported more low-end power after cleaning the throttle body. I just cleaned mine the other day, and I did notice a tiny increase. But that could be psychological. It did help my idle though, so it did something :) Regardless, it can't hurt to clean your TB.

tmkforever 07-28-2002 09:26 PM

Re: Need more power

CAI or hybrid intake, y-pipe, cat back exhaust.....the list goes on and on....

bhaske1 07-28-2002 09:32 PM

Re: Re: Need more power

Originally posted by tmkforever

CAI or hybrid intake, y-pipe, cat back exhaust.....the list goes on and on....

So you put Eibach on your 5spd Max. Im planning on doing the same thing, I have heard of people acutally cutting them more and the out of the box height does not drop it that much, is that true? I wonder if buying a coil-over kit will save $ and agravation in the long run.

Do you know of any used/good parts available?

ILoveMyMax 07-28-2002 09:35 PM

100 shot Nitrous. Best bang for the buck.

95nissanMax 07-28-2002 09:37 PM

what did u do to the stock air box and how do u do it plz explain

tmkforever 07-28-2002 09:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Need more power

So you put Eibach on your 5spd Max. Im planning on doing the same thing, I have heard of people acutally cutting them more and the out of the box height does not drop it that much, is that true? I wonder if buying a coil-over kit will save $ and agravation in the long run.

Do you know of any used/good parts available?

You've got PM.

JetBlackMax 07-28-2002 09:44 PM

You probably wouldve won if you had your A/C off.

:)

bhaske1 07-28-2002 09:46 PM

Originally posted by 95nissanMax
what did u do to the stock air box and how do u do it plz explain
I gradded a beer and opened the hood when I first got it home. I was checking out the modifications and where I would start, so on. Then I noticed from the bottom of the factory air box, there is another tube that runs to the top of the radiator area. I took it off, it sounds cooler, does not go any faster...

Its time to go faster.... Anyone have any parts for sale???

JustTry 07-28-2002 10:43 PM

I gradded a beer and opened the hood when I first got it home. I was checking out the modifications and where I would start, so on. Then I noticed from the bottom of the factory air box, there is another tube that runs to the top of the radiator area. I took it off, it sounds cooler, does not go any faster...

Its time to go faster.... Anyone have any parts for sale???

Check the For Sale Forum;)

DTR Maxima 07-29-2002 09:52 AM

start off with a CAI. dont get a pop charger though, that is more for high end. when i put my place racing CAI on i noticed signicant low end power increased. after that, move on to y-pipe. and btw a minivan should not have beaten you. 1) you probly got a shi**y start, so work on your driving and 2) dont race with your A/C on you would be suprised how it could hurt you

95emeraldgxe 07-29-2002 09:57 AM

the ac and your other electronics rob your car of alot of power. turn off everything you can..........and NO A/C!!! - and then try. for low end power, get a cai or a hybrid intake.

korupter 07-29-2002 10:41 AM

turn on your heater and close your windows...

ReichMax97 07-29-2002 10:55 AM

Originally posted by korupter
turn on your heater and close your windows...
That is a little extreme to beat a minivan... just turn your AC off man. I remember seeing a thread a while back about the new Odyssey that said it could run the 1/4 mile in the very low 16 range, which is similar to a lot of auto Maximas. Pretty impressive for a van. :eek:

bhaske1 07-29-2002 11:05 AM

Originally posted by ReichMax97

That is a little extreme to beat a minivan... just turn your AC off man. I remember seeing a thread a while back about the new Odyssey that said it could run the 1/4 mile in the very low 16 range, which is similar to a lot of auto Maximas. Pretty impressive for a van. :eek:

I have thousands of race track miles from my old car. My buddy and I were messing around on the street. I took hi mini van by a long shot coming out of an off ramp to the red light. Then we took off, I had a good launch, just not enough.. He had his A/C too, how embarassing!

Thanks for all the input!

sryth 07-29-2002 05:51 PM

Some minivans are awesome!

I definately wouldn't be ashamed of getting smoked by this one:
http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mini.html