Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   car door got hit by another in a parking lot. How can I get the paint mark off? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/109548-car-door-got-hit-another-parking-lot-how-can-i-get-paint-mark-off.html)

Sorgasm 08-29-2002 06:25 PM

car door got hit by another in a parking lot. How can I get the paint mark off?

Some dumbass hit my drivers side door today with their car door and it left a little mark of paint on my car. What's the best way to try to get this off myself?

maximamoose 08-29-2002 06:27 PM

Re: car door got hit by another in a parking lot. How can I get the paint mark off?

Originally posted by Sorgasm
Some dumbass hit my drivers side door today with their car door and it left a little mark of paint on my car. What's the best way to try to get this off myself?
you could try to wax it off, or polish, or wash even.

White96MaxSE 08-29-2002 08:48 PM

You may want to try Meguier's Paint Cleaner to see if that will take it off by applying it to a soft terry cloth towel.

White96MaxSE

ereet 08-29-2002 09:04 PM

Clay Bar? I got a lot of paint off my door with that on the last boo-boo the car had.

Flanman007 08-29-2002 09:07 PM

Body Scrub (meguires?) I hear that works good

SamMan23 08-29-2002 09:16 PM

That is quite a shine on your sig flanman. It really looks great. But all these guys are right. Meguiar's Body Scrub is the same as the paint cleaner, just slightly stronger. The clay bar is probably the most effective but they'll all work. I've used both meguiar's paint cleaners, and they are pretty similar.

way2fast95 08-29-2002 09:33 PM

I used this stuff called "Goof off", www.goof-off.com to get paint marks off mine, As long as the clearcoat is not damaged in anyway, then it will work. If the clearcoat is damaged at all then it will desolve the paint, SO MAKE SURE IT IS OK BEFORE USING. use 2 cloths, one dry, and one soaked with water, use the Goof-off on the dry cloth and wipe the paint-marks off, then use the water-soaked cloth to clean any excess "Goof-off" off.

Worked awesome on my car.

turbomax97 08-29-2002 09:48 PM

Even if the clearcoat isn't damaged, this product will strip whatever clearcoat you have left on, and if your not extremely careful, will strip your paint as well. I wouldnt recommend this product, I used it to take spray paint off the carpet.

way2fast95 08-29-2002 09:53 PM

Worked fine for me, but yeah this stuff is strong, if you use it you have to be very careful.

Nismo 08-29-2002 11:28 PM

that happened to me once and they left about 2 feet of black bumper on the rear door. I used water and a blunt piece of wet wood to carefully rub it out. kinda hard to explain but its like how a clay bar works

Flanman007 08-29-2002 11:42 PM

Originally posted by SamMan23
That is quite a shine on your sig flanman. It really looks great. But all these guys are right. Meguiar's Body Scrub is the same as the paint cleaner, just slightly stronger. The clay bar is probably the most effective but they'll all work. I've used both meguiar's paint cleaners, and they are pretty similar.
Thanks, Turtle Wax Polish (the kind that is different for different colored cars), then a regular wax, then meguire's 26 yellow wax/glaze worked great on my black beauty.

99maxi 08-30-2002 04:33 PM

i used a little bit of alcohol on a q-tip.. and then put some wax back on it..

$tillen$ux 09-01-2002 03:20 AM

Happened to me once. If its not too bad, b/c i dont know how big it is.. get some soapy water and put it on the scuff area. then with your thumb fingernail, scratch at an low angle (45 deg) with pressure and persistently being careful not to put the fingernail at 90 degrees (seriously! not kidding) to the surface. sounds stupid, but worked for me.

TurDz 09-01-2002 03:37 AM

If you can afford it at ~$18 a piece, find a Meguiar's Professional Products dealer (use their website to locate stores in your area) and buy Meguiar's Unigrit Sanding Block. Get the 2000 grit one. It's been one of the best 20 bux I've spent in a long time...

FameMax 09-01-2002 08:32 AM

Re: car door got hit by another in a parking lot. How can I get the paint mark off?

Originally posted by Sorgasm
Laquor Thinner or Paint Thinner will work and b4 people start to bash this idea I detail cars, we use that stuff when paint gets on cars. Just wax if after and dont rub in to hard so u dont wreck the clear coat.

Newman 09-01-2002 11:31 AM

damn JMU students. no respect for Maximas. ;)

someone bashed my windshield in in Ashby last friday. had to get a new one.

good luck with it