Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Quietiest Intake (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/125479-quietiest-intake.html)

rbeyer 11-28-2002 06:22 PM

Quietiest Intake

Ok, searched all sorts of info on intakes...lots there. I'm thinking about going witht the hybrid set-up to go with the budget-y. I however don't what any sort of ricey sound...which intake is the quietiest or sounds the least ricey???

Jamsan 11-28-2002 06:25 PM

stock

sil SE 11-28-2002 07:55 PM

intakes never sound ricey.

and yes. stock=quiet. throw in a drop in panel or something.

Toolrocks 11-28-2002 08:21 PM

It's my experience that exhausts affect the rice sound of the car. I've never heard an intake that sounded ricey. The cone filter w/ the stock midpipe has a very nice growl to it. I love it. However, I got consistently better times in the 1/4 mile w/ the $15 upper intake pipe than with the stock mid pipe. My car still has a nice growl at WOT and is stock quiet otherwise. I have: Stillen POP filter, $15 midpipe, WSP y + b pipes w/ resonator, carsound cat and stock muffler.

costcowholesale 11-28-2002 08:24 PM

injen style intake is the quietest I heard (from inside at least)

pezking4 11-28-2002 09:13 PM

Intakes don't make the VQ sound ricey. They make it growl!

I noticed when you have full exhaust the intake quiets down some. But it's really loud if you are running stock exhaust.

ORBRIT 11-28-2002 09:54 PM

I went for the home made intake using an APC cone filter for $28.
If I drive smoothly you wouldn't even know it's there. If you drive harder in any gear it growls. If you drive really agressively, it screams, but in a good way...
I had no idea how loud it was outside the car, so my friends followed me home one day in their BMW 328i convertible, and when we hit open road, I stomped on the gas in 3rd at 60mph and then cruised at 90 when I changed in to 4th. When they caught up, we slowed down, we wound the windows down and they shouted "that sounds so awesome - like a race car!"

Jason R 11-28-2002 10:03 PM

I can't wait to make my $15 upper intake this weekend! :D

rbeyer 11-28-2002 10:39 PM

How much difference are you talking about when your car runs the 1/4 better with the upper intake pipe? As far as the midpipe goes, is that what makes the intake considered to be one of the hybrid styles?

Originally posted by Toolrocks
It's my experience that exhausts affect the rice sound of the car. I've never heard an intake that sounded ricey. The cone filter w/ the stock midpipe has a very nice growl to it. I love it. However, I got consistently better times in the 1/4 mile w/ the $15 upper intake pipe than with the stock mid pipe. My car still has a nice growl at WOT and is stock quiet otherwise. I have: Stillen POP filter, $15 midpipe, WSP y + b pipes w/ resonator, carsound cat and stock muffler.

Toolrocks 11-28-2002 10:47 PM

Originally posted by rbeyer
How much difference are you talking about when your car runs the 1/4 better with the upper intake pipe? As far as the midpipe goes, is that what makes the intake considered to be one of the hybrid styles?

It only gets me .2 seconds but when you're barely breaking into the 14's every little bit helps. I used to be a fairly consistent 15.0 flat car. Since the new midpipe I've been a fairly consistent 14.8ish car.
As for the hybrid question; yes, changing that midpipe is what makes a hybrid. A hybrid is basically a cone filter and a section of piping that replaces the factory accordion and resonator box peice. Here is a link to the mid pipe I have.
http://drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

FLO_BOY 11-29-2002 07:33 AM

I have a frankencar intake with a Budget Y-pipe and the car
is only louder at WOT, otherwise, it's a sleeper...When it
does scream at WOT, the sound is FAR from ricey --> sounds
deep and powerful.

Rice = cheap exhaust + sewing machine engine...

FLO_BOY

sil SE 11-29-2002 10:32 AM

im going to read up more on the midpipe and hybrid intake stuff but quick question:
if im not running for track times is it worth it on the road?
Toolrocks, do your instructions apply to the later 4th gens?

Toolrocks 11-29-2002 10:38 AM

Originally posted by sil SE
im going to read up more on the midpipe and hybrid intake stuff but quick question:
if im not running for track times is it worth it on the road?
Toolrocks, do your instructions apply to the later 4th gens?

Just so I don't recieve credit for someone elses work, yes, the midpipe should apply to all 4th gens. I love mine. It isn't loud unless I want it to be. I would say try it - it's cheap and decide then if you want to use it on the highway. I think it is beneficial all the way around.

slimer 11-29-2002 01:44 PM

pm street reaper, he made a cai out of his stock box. i guess that its quieter than most intakes.

Rogo02SE 11-29-2002 04:42 PM

Rice+Steam=Honda!!!

95emeraldgxe 11-29-2002 08:14 PM

the injen intakes sound stock until u hit the high RPMs.....but the other intakes are not rice......they're very nice:cool:

RobUsaf81 11-29-2002 09:04 PM

http://www.frankencar.com/media.shtml
Check that out, it will give you an idea of how the hybrid sounds like. ive got the hybrid setup and it sure as heck aint ricey, its a nice deep growl

sil SE 11-29-2002 11:30 PM

anyone make the home made midpipe? check in please
besides toolrocks that is.

munji 11-30-2002 01:25 AM

same setup as FLO_BOY.......It's quiet!

Danielsan 12-01-2002 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

It only gets me .2 seconds but when you're barely breaking into the 14's every little bit helps. I used to be a fairly consistent 15.0 flat car. Since the new midpipe I've been a fairly consistent 14.8ish car.
As for the hybrid question; yes, changing that midpipe is what makes a hybrid. A hybrid is basically a cone filter and a section of piping that replaces the factory accordion and resonator box peice. Here is a link to the mid pipe I have.

So you really gained .2 secs on your 1/4 just from swapping out the stock resonator to the midpipe??!!! Thats alot!! I never would have figured that, did you see an improvement on your mph? This is great, I will have to update my site now...

Anybody else see an improvement like that?

Toolrocks 12-01-2002 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Danielsan

So you really gained .2 secs on your 1/4 just from swapping out the stock resonator to the midpipe??!!! Thats alot!! I never would have figured that, did you see an improvement on your mph? This is great, I will have to update my site now...

Anybody else see an improvement like that?

That's the only thing that changed on my car. It seems to be consistent since it's helped me in the 1/4 on several different occasions. Maybe my shifting has gotten better too??? Once I install my VI I'm gonna start playing around w/ intakes and a dyno to see what nets me the most usuable power. Nice intake design Danielsan.

iregula 12-01-2002 08:24 PM

STOCK

MAXSRB 12-01-2002 09:05 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD
I can't wait to make my $15 upper intake this weekend! :D
Have a link to the instructions? What is it just some PVC tubing or something?

Toolrocks 12-01-2002 09:13 PM

Originally posted by MAXSRB

Look further up in this thread. It's on page one in one of my posts and it's on page two, where someone replied to my post. They're easy to make. I made mine with a rubber coupling. If I were to make another one, I'd probably make it out of metal tubing. Good luck.

Danielsan 12-02-2002 06:51 AM

Originally posted by MAXSRB

Yeah just click here. Actually I made a metal pipe and a rubber one..
If you have any questions just email or pm me :)