Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Coilovers or Springs? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/1301-coilovers-springs.html)

gotricefo 09-10-2000 03:47 PM

I really need to upgrade my suspension b/c i'm just bouncing all over the place on the highway with my stock springs... i'm just wondering should i get a set of coilovers or springs.. can someone tell me which is more stiff, or more fit for performance?? and which brand... the concerns i have are if i had to get springs.. i have to get shocks too... where as the coilover kit i don't have to get anything else... thanks for your input...

VQracer 09-10-2000 04:39 PM

Eibachs are stiff

chris j vurnis 09-10-2000 09:44 PM

Springs or coilovers

Well, if you have a floaty or bouncy ride, then it sounds like you do need new struts...

And if you get coilovers, you will definitely need struts...

KONI SPORT struts should clean up the floatiness or bouncy characteristics with a decent ride quality too...

Later..

max1ma97se 09-11-2000 08:00 AM

bouncy

if u get ground control coilover u will bounce so much yur bump stops will break into pieces take my advice

SethMax 09-11-2000 08:10 AM

here you go

For real-world performance, go with a set of quality springs... Eibachs would be the best choice for serious performance but you'll pay a little penalty in ride quality.
Coil overs are good for sitting-on-the-ground show "look" and generally suck for everything else UNLESS you've corner-weighted the car, made intelligent choices about spring rates, chosen the appropriate struts to match and set the camber correctly. Lots of adjustment and fiddling necessary to make them work as good as plain ol' springs with a good set of shocks.
I've got a set of Intrax with a coil cut off the front. That's the biggest no-no ever but I can't STAND the way the car looks with the *** dragging (a'la stock) so I'm willing to pay the price in ride quality and spring noise.

Eibachs=stiff; best handling but GOTTA get shocks too

Intrax=LOW and kinda stiff but not very progressive; bottom out. Get shocks.

H&R=Pretty damn close to stock spring rate. Comfy. Can get away with stock shocks here for a while.

Whitemax 09-11-2000 09:34 AM

I LOVE my eibachs...

I would say they're firmer than stock, but not painfully so. And I do work in a mining facility, lots of rough roads, and I wouldn't say it's bad. And it's a lot better in the corners than before. Much less roll. Can't wait to get a sway bar....

Keven97SE 09-11-2000 09:42 AM

You won't eliminate the bounciness with ANY aftermarket springs...those will only make the bounciness WORSE.

You need Koni struts. They TOTALLY eliminated all bouncing from my suspension.

Springs will only reduce understeer and dive/squat during braking/acceleration. They help the overall handling ability of the car, but all the bouncing/floatiness/boat-like feeling of the car comes from the struts.

Konis were THE BEST MOD I've done to date. Easily worth the high $480 cost. The car is far more enjoyable to drive.

La Jolla Max 09-13-2000 12:18 AM

Sprint springs

These new springs Chebosto and Nabil have been talking about for the past few months sound pretty interesting. 2" drop, and they supposedly improve handling dramatically.

96BLUMAX 09-19-2000 04:31 PM

From what I have heard you should get coilovers. They help the most, if you want performance. Eibach springs are also nice.

ravevious 09-19-2000 08:21 PM

Originally posted by gotricefo
I really need to upgrade my suspension b/c i'm just bouncing all over the place on the highway with my stock springs... i'm just wondering should i get a set of coilovers or springs.. can someone tell me which is more stiff, or more fit for performance?? and which brand... the concerns i have are if i had to get springs.. i have to get shocks too... where as the coilover kit i don't have to get anything else... thanks for your input...
i was having the same problem as you do. what you need is a set of coil over. there are 2 brand that i would recommend. Cattman Performance is the coil over with shock, you looking at $1,000- 2,000 . or you can go with Ground control. i'm using Ground control with Eibach spring. the only problem is, i used my stock shock and the ride is " suck ". finally, i change to KYB shock which make it stiff and runs better. Never Never use Intrax spring. u will never enjoy the ride. and it's not true that they can lower your car for 3".

max1ma97se 09-23-2000 05:37 PM

selling gc

if u are interested im selling my gc coilovers look in the 4 sale section if u are interesed or emial at max1ma@hotmail.com