Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   What clutch to get ACT, OEM, other? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/132804-what-clutch-get-act-oem-other.html)

Nismo 01-12-2003 01:34 AM

What clutch to get ACT, OEM, other?

Its going to be time soon to get a clutch for my 5speed conversion and Im debating on what clutch I should get? Most ppl would say ACT but I also heard that they are harder for daily driving and also they tend to be hard on gears? I dont know what I should do, just get OEM or get a ACT since its alot easier because the tranny will be off the car for the conversion so why not kill 2 birds with one stone kind of deal.

For you ACT guys- what do you think? do you enjoy the act? compared to stock? drivability?

Soon2BMaxed 01-12-2003 01:50 AM

Re: What clutch to get ACT, OEM, other?

Originally posted by Nismo
Its going to be time soon to get a clutch for my 5speed conversion and Im debating on what clutch I should get? Most ppl would say ACT but I also heard that they are harder for daily driving and also they tend to be hard on gears? I dont know what I should do, just get OEM or get a ACT since its alot easier because the tranny will be off the car for the conversion so why not kill 2 birds with one stone kind of deal.

For you ACT guys- what do you think? do you enjoy the act? compared to stock? drivability?

i have the ACT...compared to stock do i like it better...Hmm....HELL YES.

nismo2020 01-12-2003 04:29 AM

come you should know the answer to this question already.

Bags 01-12-2003 06:04 AM

Originally posted by nismo2020
come you should know the answer to this question already.
Yes that answer is simple...

But who should install it ????? :wall:

Sprint 01-12-2003 08:20 AM

:)

got rice? 01-12-2003 11:03 AM

If you drive the way your grandma does, stick with the OEM. If you're a bit more aggressive or have (or plan on doing) mods on the car, go with the ACT. Pedal effort is slightly stiffer than stock but it's nothing extraordinary.

nismo2020 01-12-2003 03:59 PM

Originally posted by got rice?
If you drive the way your grandma does, stick with the OEM. If you're a bit more aggressive or have (or plan on doing) mods on the car, go with the ACT. Pedal effort is slightly stiffer than stock but it's nothing extraordinary.
:sprint:

1FSTMAX 01-12-2003 05:55 PM

I just got my ACT clutch installed. All I can say is WOW! It grabs like a champ, and now I can chirp 3rd gear. The pedal feel is like the stock one, but a tad grabbier but nothing too outrageous. I'm satisfied with my clutch. I recommend it.

plurco 01-12-2003 07:40 PM

which ACT clutch are you guys refering to?

cscm094 01-12-2003 07:59 PM

If you plan on forced induction, go ACT, if not I'd say get OEM one (not key value). I just got OEM one put in, and it feels great, and really grabs 100% of the time

1FSTMAX 01-12-2003 11:31 PM

Originally posted by plurco
which ACT clutch are you guys refering to?
I have this one installed NM1-HDMM.

ThurzNite 01-12-2003 11:54 PM

i just installed the street ACT on friday. Pedal pressure and catch point is the same as stock. It does grab harder though, but after 1 min of stop and go (stop signs getting outta the neighborhood...I always do complete stops) I started driving like it was nothing. If you drive normally, the ACT will not be a problem in traffic. It's not any harder to drive than stock.

I actually had plenty of meat left on the original clutch...anybody wanna buy it?

Jae

Nismo 01-13-2003 12:04 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
i just installed the street ACT on friday. Pedal pressure and catch point is the same as stock. It does grab harder though, but after 1 min of stop and go (stop signs getting outta the neighborhood...I always do complete stops) I started driving like it was nothing. If you drive normally, the ACT will not be a problem in traffic. It's not any harder to drive than stock.

I actually had plenty of meat left on the original clutch...anybody wanna buy it?

Jae

price?

funnylittlman 01-13-2003 06:11 AM

Re: What clutch to get ACT, OEM, other?

If you're modding: ACT HDMM

If you're just driving: OEM

My ACTHDMM was mis installed at the dealer.. they didn't re surface the flywheel and it cost me a new one. The act actually blued the flywheel and groved it. The dealer blamed the clutch, guys at ACT blamed the install. Now I was stuck w/ purchasing 2 clutches...AND a new flywheel. F THAT DEALERSHIP!

Seriously, if you are going to mod, do the ACT, but if you are just driving around like every other tom, ****, and harry to the OEM.

Just my 2K clutch woes!:mad:

Nismo 01-13-2003 01:03 PM

Seems like ACT is the way to go so maybe I might end up getting one. I also think I should resurface the flywheel too. Does Nissan resurface them? if so, whats the price if I handed them the flywheel to do the job?

luckee2bhere 01-13-2003 04:24 PM

is the ACT really hard on the gears??

nismo2020 01-13-2003 10:19 PM

Seems like ACT is the way to go so maybe I might end up getting one. I also think I should resurface the flywheel too. Does Nissan resurface them? if so, whats the price if I handed them the flywheel to do the job?
i think it depends on how bad the flywheel is. nissan did my act install and they resurfaced it. i think its basically standard procedure if your old clutch was slipping.

they charged me 50.00

Jeff92se 01-13-2003 11:08 PM

I just got done installing an ACT. Their instuctions are pretty clear. Resurfaced flywheel is a MUST. Also a very clean flywheel and PP surface is also a MUST. I cleaned my with brake cleaner and a clean rag and was careful about not touching when installing(as much as possible)

Originally posted by nismo2020

i think it depends on how bad the flywheel is. nissan did my act install and they resurfaced it. i think its basically standard procedure if your old clutch was slipping.

they charged me 50.00

meccanoble 01-13-2003 11:36 PM

if u have any type of performance add ons and want to put more, i reccomend act cause it grabs a lot better than stock...even with a brand new clutch, at times u may still get slippage...act...not...