4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!! Problem starting 98 Maxima SE

Old 11-04-2000, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi All,
I have a 98 Maxima SE with only 15k miles. The last couple of months on and off I have had trouble starting my car after I have let it sit there for a while, usually overnight. The engine will sound like it starts and then after 2 seconds or less the rpm's drop and the engine stalls. I have seen a few post on the news groups with other owners having the same problem. They said the dealer needed to adjust the idle speed controller. Is this something that is under warranty? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-04-2000, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by lcheung
Hi All,
I have a 98 Maxima SE with only 15k miles. The last couple of months on and off I have had trouble starting my car after I have let it sit there for a while, usually overnight. The engine will sound like it starts and then after 2 seconds or less the rpm's drop and the engine stalls. I have seen a few post on the news groups with other owners having the same problem. They said the dealer needed to adjust the idle speed controller. Is this something that is under warranty? Thanks for your help!
Try this experiment. With the engine cold, turn the key to "on", wait ten
seconds, and then turn the key to "start". That delay gives the fuel pump
some extra time to build up pressure in the fuel rail. If the engine fires
readily and runs normally after this brief delay, there may be a problem
with fuel pressure (weak pump, leaky check valve).
Old 11-04-2000, 01:06 PM

Try your different key. I had this problem before also it was just the key that i was using i dont know if this will help but just try it it wouldnt hurt. Tell us what happens when you do it ok.

Chris
Old 01-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem, but mine seems to be fixed now...

Hi ! I was having the same problem with my 2000 SE with approx. 50k miles on it--My mechanic thought it might be the air intake valve, but wanted to try cleaning out the system, etc. before doing it- after further tests (cleaning would work for a little while), it turned out to be the engine controller. My guys took it to a Nissan dealership and they did fix it under warranty (I didn't think I still had a warranty on it,...bought the car from someone in NJ). I just got it back last night, but so far, so good. I have no idea what the cost would be if it wasn't under warranty. Hope this info helps some.

Originally posted by lcheung
Hi All,