4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Brake Vibration\Noise Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear Brake Vibration\Noise Problem

I’m hoping someone out there has run into this problem before and knows the cause/fix. My new girlfriend purchased a 1999 GXE 2 months ago. After the car sits for a long period of time (like overnight), it makes a terribly loud noise from the rear end of the car when she first applies the brakes while the car is going in reverse. No noise is heard if you go forward the first time in the morning and apply the brakes. The noise it makes is bad, but what is worse is the extreme vibration and shudder that comes from the back of the vehicle when the brakes are first applied after periods of inactivity. You would swear that the car is about ready to fall apart.

She told me she has contacted the dealership twice about the problem. The first time they told her it was rust being rubbed off when the brakes are first being applied in the morning. The second time she complained, they informed her that the anti-lock brake system must just be “re-adjusting” and that’s what is causing the noise. I’m no expert mechanic, but I know enough when someone is talking BS. The problem she is experiencing is not rust or “re-adjusting” of the ABS system.

I have a call into the local dealer but they have not called me back yet about the problem. I performed a quick visual inspection of the car this morning but I couldn’t see anything that looked out of the ordinary. I’d appreciate any information someone might have that might help. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The famous reverse brake groan. A lot of Max's do that, mine did it for the first year or so I owned it.

Believe it or not, there's probably nothing really wrong with your car. Have somebody inspect the pads for abnormal ware, if all looks good, you might fix the problem with aftermarket pads or just a new shim kit and relube of the caliper pins. Also make sure your emergency brake cable isn't hanging up.