4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UDP Installed. Got codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 12:02 PM

UDP Installed. Got codes

I installed my UVM Underdrive Pulley installed last night. The car now has a hard time starting. once it starts, it runs fine, but getting started is very difficult now. Also I'm getting two codes. 4-7, crankshaft position sensor, and 8-1, vacuum cut valve bypass valve. Should I change my crankshaft sensor, or is there another problem? btw, my UDP did have those timing notches around the outside of the ring. and they did match up with the position of the stock pulley's notches, so i don't think it's the pulley. Any help would be appreciated.
Joel
Old 04-02-2003, 12:04 PM

I believe the sensor is down in that area, and you may have disconnected it when changing to the UDP, so double check to see if everything is hooked up properly...Or you have broken the sensor while doing the install
Old 04-02-2003, 03:32 PM

I checked the sensor, and it seems alright. The plug is secure and the sensor itself does not looked damaged. Any other ideas?
My car is still very hard to start. Seems like reseting the ecu helps the car start easier.
Joel
Old 04-07-2003, 07:02 PM

bump just installed rvm too and my car is also getting that code and have a hard time starting. any way to get the cel off?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:52 AM
I am Roid Rage

Same problem here. What happened? How did you guys fix yours?
Old 05-04-2003, 11:24 AM

My car was so bad with the RVM pulley I took it off two days after I put it on. I got stranded twice and couldn't start the car. Had to tow my car twice. I took the pulley off. the problem with the hard starts is because RVM's pulley ring is badly designed. The ring has two flaws. probably the most important flaw is that it is made of stainless steel. it seems like the first batch of pulleys are made of regular steel, but the latest batch of pulleys had SS rings. the SS does not react to magnets therefore does not send any signal to the crankshaft position sensor. another problem is that the double tabs are about 1/8" off of where it should be.

the only way to fix it is to get a new ring cut out of mild steel. you may be able to get away with cutting the little tabs off of the ring and welding little mild steel tabs back on. make sure they don't stick out too far or they will damage the crankshaft position sensor.

Even if you do get the rign to work, ther is the second problem of possibly getting an oil leak. this may take longer to notice.

In my case I didn't want to chance it. I just took off my RVM UDP and put my stock pulley on. car worked fine after that.

Then last tuesday I called nick @ definitive motor sports and ordered one of his pulleys. his pulley was made with the mild steel ring (coated in zinc to resist rusting!!!) And they have a brass sleeve to resist abbrasion with the oil seal preventing an oil leak.

Quality of the pulley was impeccable. Looks as good as Unorthodox Racing's pulley but at 2/3 the price. Not only that, but Definitive's pulley is a hair lighter than UR's Pulley!

I ordered it tuesday and received it thursday!!! that's with shipping to Hawaii. it uses the same size belts i had for the RVM pulley so I didn't need new belts, but I did need to buy a new crankshaft oil seal. they are not mentioned in any of the directions, but I would reccomend everyone who changed their pulley to change their oil seal. it's only 8 bucks but it's good insurance against oil leaks.

after installing, car runs great! starting the car is not a problem, in fact i think it's easier to start the car now. probably because the starter doesn't have to turn the accessories as much with the underdriven pulley.

I would reccomend anyone with a RVM pulley to return it to RVM. do not install it. Spend a few more dollars and get a pulley from Nick at Definitive.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Also RVM pulley problems

I have a 95 nissan maxima SE and the same problems with RVM pulley (codes and hard starting). The reason for this is because RVM made a bad timing ring, if you check it with stock pulley it is off by about 1/8". Don't replace or do anything with your crank sensor, if it was bad your car wouldn't start at all. I called RVM last week on 04-29-03 and they said that they will be sending out new timing rings for those pulleys free of charge in 2 weeks. Also, they said that all you need to do is send them an email with your info.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:05 PM

Re: Also RVM pulley problems

The problem with starting the car might have nothin to do with the SS material.

The problems lies on the alignment of the tabs. It drives the crankshaft sensor crazy since it does not know the position of the crankshaft (to start the firing order).
Old 05-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Many people are installing having problems with oil leak after installing the pulley. I suggest you guys call RMV and complain. I locked their GD thread so no more sales can be made through the org.

This is a bad product.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:16 PM

I installed UN Pulley a long time ago, I still don't have any problem at all like hard starting or etc. Sometimes is good to pay more for reliable product like UN pulley, not RVM. RVM pulley is a bad product, not only for Maxima, but others model as well. I used to buy RVM pulley for my LExus IS300, a lot of problems with that pulley. Then I switched to UN all 4 set of pulley , and I paid like $600 for it. All I can say is Wow, I am going to pay and get something is reliable for my engine parts ...........
Old 05-05-2003, 09:34 AM
I am Roid Rage

Update

I spoke with somebody at RVM today and they said that the company that they contracted the timing ring out to did not build it to their specifications, thus the timing / crankshaft sensor problem. They then told me that they are sending one out to me and that I should have it by tomorrow. We'll see.

Problem is, I really didn't feel like putting this pulley on myself so I took it to a mechanic to do it. The guy charged me an extremely reasonable price of $52 but now it has to be re-done so I either have to spend another $52 or just do it myself (which I will do). Do you think RVM will compensate me for my initial $52 installation fee?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 AM

RVM has so many complaints right now, they wont refund any money cause they'll probally have to close down...LMAO i have this pulley brought it from a .org new, and think its a 50/50 chance. maybe its the ay you had it installed?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:57 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by greenmax95se
RVM has so many complaints right now, they wont refund any money cause they'll probally have to close down...LMAO i have this pulley brought it from a .org new, and think its a 50/50 chance. maybe its the ay you had it installed?
No. It's a faulty timing ring. The guy at RVM even admitted it.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:42 PM

i dont think im installing mine, i dont need any problems iwth my car about now, moneys not here to get fixed. not even for a seal...lol im cheap!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 PM

I can't believe you even bothered installing that piece of s#@#. That it off throw it out and buy a definitive or unorthodox UDP. I didn't install mine i just read the comments and ordered a definitive pulley which i will have installed soon. Order another one and forget it
Old 05-05-2003, 04:07 PM

I know for sure that the timing ring is the problem! I did try to place RVM timing ring in all different positions and it still is the same problem. As soon as I switched to stock pulley car started fine just from the first time and no problems since.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:08 PM

Anyone know where to get good quality pulleys but not twice as muchs as RVM?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:54 PM

next cheapest pulley is Definitive. It costs more than RVM, but it does work very well. I'd say as good if not better than UR as far as construction. Car starts perfectly with Definitive pulley on.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:40 AM

What is definitive website of phone number?

Originally posted by Kanaka
next cheapest pulley is Definitive. It costs more than RVM, but it does work very well. I'd say as good if not better than UR as far as construction. Car starts perfectly with Definitive pulley on.
Can you please post where I can get it (like website or phone number). Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:47 AM

Re: What is definitive website of phone number?

just my 2 cents, I have the unorthodox racing underdrive pulley, and I have never had any sort of problems, install or otherwise.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:48 AM

Re: What is definitive website of phone number?

Originally posted by litxus

Can you please post where I can get it (like website or phone number). Thanks.
www.definitivemotorsports.com

there's a thread in the GD forum too.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:51 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by dwapenyi
There is another thread here talking about the RVM pulley. Apparently, RVM specifies the tightening TQ way to high, like 146 ft-lbs. It should be around 40 ft-lbs, which is what the stock pulley is TQed at. They verified it from the Nissan FSM. Maybe there was a typo in the RVM instructions and they accidentally put a "1" in front of the 46 ft-lbs.

I can actually verify it myself. I have the 98 Nissan FSM, and it says to TQ the stock pulley from 29-36 ft-lbs.

This may be the reason that alot of you RVM guys are getting oil leaks and hard starting.

DW
Wow. That is so simple but it makes so much sense. I'm going to re-torque mine tomorrow.

Did you post this in that that Important thread?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:14 PM

Re: Update

Originally posted by Bluebird
I spoke with somebody at RVM today and they said that the company that they contracted the timing ring out to did not build it to their specifications, thus the timing / crankshaft sensor problem. They then told me that they are sending one out to me and that I should have it by tomorrow. We'll see.

Problem is, I really didn't feel like putting this pulley on myself so I took it to a mechanic to do it. The guy charged me an extremely reasonable price of $52 but now it has to be re-done so I either have to spend another $52 or just do it myself (which I will do). Do you think RVM will compensate me for my initial $52 installation fee?
hey, I think I should do the same thing, since I have one unopened. Can you give me some info on RVM's contact?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:21 PM

Someone else posted that info on the other thread. I just took that and brought it here.

On very different note, I went to edit my post and accidentally deleted it. I guess you replied before it vanished

DW

Originally posted by Bluebird

Wow. That is so simple but it makes so much sense. I'm going to re-torque mine tomorrow.

Did you post this in that that Important thread?