4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shot alternator now? Is it my alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:46 PM

Shot alternator now? Is it my alternator?

I think my alternator is SHOT, it is making a whining noise, despite tight belts, and everything.
Tonite, i did some work on my car, and on the headlights, and left doors open, headlights on, and it drained my battery...
So, when i went to start my car, the battery jsut BARELY allowed it... so when it did start, i went for a ride, in order to charge the batt.
Well, everything seemed fine...then i came home 10 mins later, and parked my car, and about an hr later, i started my car and went downtown, and then my lights got real weak, my radio shut off, and then finally i stopped, and shut the car off
It would not restart.
so i had a friend jump me
a minute after i got the car started, the same thing happened!
so i had him keep the jumpers on, and charge my batt. a while, and shut off all unneccesary electrical equipment, and after that, i made it home
so, i was thinkin that even if it is a shot battery, the alternator should be running enough charge to keep me goin...regardless
do you think it is just a shot battery, or it is my alternator? again, it IS making a whining noise.
My VIN is JN1CA21DOVT-218164
I am pretty sure i am falling underneath the alternator recall campaign (my car is a 97)
So, please let me know what you guys think, and thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2003, 09:17 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Shot alternator now? Is it my alternator?

Originally posted by 97blackSE
I think my alternator is SHOT, it is making a whining noise, despite tight belts, and everything.
Tonite, i did some work on my car, and on the headlights, and left doors open, headlights on, and it drained my battery...
So, when i went to start my car, the battery jsut BARELY allowed it... so when it did start, i went for a ride, in order to charge the batt.
Well, everything seemed fine...then i came home 10 mins later, and parked my car, and about an hr later, i started my car and went downtown, and then my lights got real weak, my radio shut off, and then finally i stopped, and shut the car off
It would not restart.
so i had him keep the jumpers on, and charge my batt. a while, and shut off all unneccesary electrical equipment, and after that, i made it home
so, i was thinkin that even if it is a shot battery, the alternator should be running enough charge to keep me goin...regardless
do you think it is just a shot battery, or it is my alternator? again, it IS making a whining noise.
I am pretty sure i am falling underneath the alternator recall campaign (my car is a 97)
well, if you want to, go to nissanusa.com and go to the "ownership" section then to "My Nissan"

They ask you some quick info and you register w/ them... and it becomes easy for u then. They keep your VIN on record w/ your account so that they display any recalls that are eligible for ure car and other neat things. I was bored so I joined... try it out!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 PM

Re: Re: Shot alternator now? Is it my alternator?

Originally posted by nadir_s

well, if you want to, go to nissanusa.com and go to the "ownership" section then to "My Nissan"

They ask you some quick info and you register w/ them... and it becomes easy for u then. They keep your VIN on record w/ your account so that they display any recalls that are eligible for ure car and other neat things. I was bored so I joined... try it out!
thank you...
anyone else?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:03 PM

Definite bad alternator symptoms. . .

I just went through the same thing & what you described was almost exactly what I went through.

If you have a digital multimeter, do the following test:

With the DMM probes on the + and - terminals of the battery, the DMM set to volts, and with the car running, advance the throttle and hold it at about 2500 RPM's. (you can do this manually by moving the throttle-mechanism, but you may prefer to get a friend to help you).

Check the reading on the multimeter. If it is below 13.00 volts, your alternator is dying, for sure. (My old one was reading 12.75 during this test)

A healthy alternator should read over 14.00 volts in this same test, although anything over 13.5v is acceptable.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:26 PM

i will be sure to test tomorrow morning
Old 04-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me too...it was the alternator....
Old 04-02-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by iansw
Me too...it was the alternator....
if it is, i hope those bastids fix it for free under the recall, i cannot afford this crap! i mean, read my sig!
Old 04-02-2003, 10:57 PM

if it is, i hope those bastids fix it for free under the recall, i cannot afford this crap! i mean, read my sig!
If yours isn't covered under the recall, get a remanufactured alternator from your local auto parts store & do the swap yerself. This job's not too difficult. Cost me $160.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:41 AM

well, i have an appointment, tomorrow as soon as they open, its def a dead alt. and its def covered under recall.
do you think though, that they will try to screw me, and be like, "well although you do have a dead alternator, that was under recall, your alternator did not go BECAUSE of what affects this recall, so you have to pay"?
i HOPE NOT, and i hope they get it done before 2pm so i can still go to the track
Old 04-03-2003, 11:56 AM

well, i have an appointment, tomorrow as soon as they open, its def a dead alt. and its def covered under recall.
do you think though, that they will try to screw me, and be like, "well although you do have a dead alternator, that was under recall, your alternator did not go BECAUSE of what affects this recall, so you have to pay"?
i HOPE NOT, and i hope they get it done before 2pm so i can still go to the track
The cause of the failure is irrelevant. If your alternator is covered in the recall batch, they should replace it for free, no fuss, no muss.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2003, 12:29 PM

Re: Shot alternator now? Is it my alternator?

It sounds as if it is either your alternator or you have a draw on your battery somewhere. Most likely your alternator. Last September there was a nationwide recall on 97 Maxima's alternators so check with your local dealer. good luck.

It would not restart.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

nope! if it's broken or running 100% fine they HAVE to change it if it is under recall. The reason it is under recall is that there's a possibility of it catching fire... so yeah, don't worry.

I have heard a couple people saying that they called in and nissan corp said it was under recall, but upon checking in w/ the dealership, they turned them away because of some color code thing. Blah i forgot, but don't worry! u'll get it done
Old 04-03-2003, 01:50 PM

i hear a constant waaa noise from my engine near my alt. like a high whinning. Alt for me to you think???
Old 04-03-2003, 01:56 PM

If the noise is coming from the alternator it could be the bearing that it spins on. Do you know which one is the alternator. that noise could easily be your water pump or your p/s pump. all in the same place.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by 95GreekMaxSE
i hear a constant waaa noise from my engine near my alt. like a high whinning. Alt for me to you think???
oh yeah, dude, ur shot, soon, your gonna be driving, and your lights inside are gonna get dimmer and dimmer, your cd player will shut off, and your car will die and not restart... i would check the alternator with the method described by KWheelzSB, and see what the dilly...it could also just be loose or wet belts, tho, HOPE FOR THE BEST, FOR ME AND U!

BTW: it could be your p/s pump...if you turn the wheel, and the whine changes pitch at all, or stops, that is what it is!
Old 04-03-2003, 02:00 PM

well.. lazy mechanic said its just the belts (belts are kinda cracked) something tell me there the belts that came with the car and been there since 95 at 000000 miles. My car runes fine though and no power problems, just chokes a couple of times while starting.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Keepdiscoevil

Originally posted by 95GreekMaxSE
well.. lazy mechanic said its just the belts (belts are kinda cracked) something tell me there the belts that came with the car and been there since 95 at 000000 miles. My car runes fine though and no power problems, just chokes a couple of times while starting.

You have a 97, yep recall on alternator. Mine did that for alittle while untill i got it replaced for free under recall. Hey also, i will join you in the poorest max club!!!!

Cracked belts means nothing. That is just wear and tear of the car. I took my 2001 max in for a 12000 service, and the belt were beginnning to crack. I would not worry about it untill you get up in high mileage.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:39 AM

GOT IT FIXED FOR FREE!!!! YAY!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 07:48 AM

oh yeah, dude, ur shot, soon, your gonna be driving, and your lights inside are gonna get dimmer and dimmer, your cd player will shut off, and your car will die and not restart... i would check the alternator with the method described by KWheelzSB, and see what the dilly...it could also just be loose or wet belts, tho, HOPE FOR THE BEST, FOR ME AND U!

BTW: it could be your p/s pump...if you turn the wheel, and the whine changes pitch at all, or stops, that is what it is!
Happened to me, wasnt cool at all. Definately the alternator