4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brighter corners

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 07:34 PM

Are my corners gonna blind the cars next to me? The cops around here just look for excuses to pull over anyone under 25. If I did get pulled over and was forced to change the corners back to stock, what would that involve?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dotn worry, i belive like 99% of cops wont be able to tell... only true max owners and enthusiats will know

and if they do pull u over, just say u got the car like that and u will take it to the place u got it so they can try and make it not so brihgt

but dont worry man, its not THAT bad,lol
Old 04-27-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by white95max
Are my corners gonna blind the cars next to me? The cops around here just look for excuses to pull over anyone under 25. If I did get pulled over and was forced to change the corners back to stock, what would that involve?
first off...how are they going to know they're NOT stock?
They're not purple or anything?

If they *****, just go to Wal-Mart and spend $1.96 for a 2 pack of new bulbs, and plug 'em in!

I did this mod and no, it will not blind people next to you...my lights shine brightly on the lanes next to me..I see curbs now. They will shine on others but not like a spot light or anything.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:34 AM

Re: brighter corners--Technical explanation

Depending on what generation your car is, there could be an easier procedure. For example, I took the light wiring harness from a '96 Maxima and replaced it in my '98 that I just bought (it was missing the wiring). Some of the older Maximas had two nubs, assumedly for using the corner as an optional turn signal lamp.
At any rate, when you take out the corner lamp bulb, you will see one or two nubs, but probably two holes. Depending on the type of bulb that you have, you may get a bulb that has two filaments. One is 8 Watts, the other is 27 Watts. The trick to making your corners brighter is simply tapping 27 Watts element. Normally, your car will use the lower watt side. In some cars that have corner/blinker together, the 27 W will flash with the blinker, causing the corner to use the 27 AND 8 watt with each flash. When the blinker goes off, the 8 watt filament stays lit. You can even wire your Max does to use the corners to blink...
Anyway, there it is... by following the procedure so-called "cutting the nub," you are accessing the 27 W side of the bulb. At least, that is how I did it. I changed by white bulbs out and put orange in the corners, and did not cutting of any nubs. I just wired some speaker wire into the hole where a second nub could be, and connected the wire to the original nub. I believe that I am using BOTH filaments, an even BRIGHTER light. This draws more power and will blow your fuse if not upgraded from a 7.5 to a 10 amp fuse. I blew 2 of them before I figured it out. I hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:55 AM

can you make them flash? because i have a i30 and thats the only turn signal on my car. i want it brighter but i want it to flash. i m thinking about putting a led or another smaller bulb in there to make it bright and then the turn signals will work normal. i hope this works
Old 04-30-2003, 09:32 PM

yo deewana

Originally posted by deewanapaki
thx man i hope its the same for the i30
yo man i read it in vqpower.com that its the higher nub that you have to take out........... I told you that before..
Old 04-30-2003, 09:35 PM

yo deewana Im telling you man i think its the higher nub..... i dont know man cuz the bulb wouldnt go in..
Old 04-30-2003, 09:59 PM

Like Juki had asked Is there a way to make the corner/side bumper lights brighter to?
Old 04-30-2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by kamina
yo deewana Im telling you man i think its the higher nub..... i dont know man cuz the bulb wouldnt go in..
i had the same problem and eventually ruined one of the sockets. cut the higher nub off and put the lower nub where higher nub goes.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:20 AM

Alright guys...which is it, the higher or lower nub? And how do I get that lens out? I took out the top screw like Chilton's Manual said. Then I pulled forward and out like it said, but it looks like there's something holding it in on the bottom. I didn't want to break anything, so I said screw it for now. HELP!!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:48 AM

lost taillights...

Originally posted by Champagne97
you MUST change the fuse, i didn't and then i fried the fuse and had to upgraded to a 10a fuse, when u fry the fuse, your brake lights won't work either, so if someone crashes into your back you'll know why
I used Polarg clearance lights (I think the wattage is 5w/21w) - shaved the nub, and I had no problems with fuses or anything. I called myself "upgrading" to Raybrigs (5w/35w), and the fuse (it was a 7.5 - taillights I believe) blew out. I guess the 35w was too much, so I went back to the Polarg setup, and haven't had any problems. I suspect that one fuse controls the clearance lights, side markers, and taillights. Mr. Police Officer wasn't amused by me driving around at night with no taillights...and I was less amused, because I didn't know . He was kool, though - I got off with a fix-it ticket. Luckily, no one crashed into the back of me.

I wonder if I upgraded to a 10 amp fuse, would I be able to run the higher wattage Raybrigs for clearance lights...and how would that affect the other lights??
Old 05-05-2003, 09:21 AM

Re: lost taillights...

A higher-amp fuse would lessen the chance that it would blow again, but remember that your factory wiring is not all that thick. With such a small gauge, loading higher amps may cause unwanted burning, possibly a fire. You are right that the factory 7.5 amp fuse controls the clearance (corner) lights and the tail lights. I am no expert, but I know that pulling high watts makes for hotter wires. Going up to a 15 amp fuse would definitely let you do what you want to do (maybe a 10-amp), and it would not affect the other lights, but it will take more power from the battery (duh) and therefore put a heavier strain on the alternator. If you have any stereo mods (subs, etc) you really ought to be cautious.

Originally posted by Mr99Maxima

I used Polarg clearance lights (I think the wattage is 5w/21w) - shaved the nub, and I had no problems with fuses or anything. I called myself "upgrading" to Raybrigs (5w/35w), and the fuse (it was a 7.5 - taillights I believe) blew out. I guess the 35w was too much, so I went back to the Polarg setup, and haven't had any problems. I suspect that one fuse controls the clearance lights, side markers, and taillights. Mr. Police Officer wasn't amused by me driving around at night with no taillights...and I was less amused, because I didn't know . He was kool, though - I got off with a fix-it ticket. Luckily, no one crashed into the back of me.

I wonder if I upgraded to a 10 amp fuse, would I be able to run the higher wattage Raybrigs for clearance lights...and how would that affect the other lights??
Old 05-05-2003, 11:48 AM

i have had this easy mod over a year and have not changed my fuse, didnt know i had to , but everything seems to be fine....for now
Old 05-05-2003, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: lost taillights...

Originally posted by cam_honestiam
A higher-amp fuse would lessen the chance that it would blow again, but remember that your factory wiring is not all that thick. With such a small gauge, loading higher amps may cause unwanted burning, possibly a fire. You are right that the factory 7.5 amp fuse controls the clearance (corner) lights and the tail lights. I am no expert, but I know that pulling high watts makes for hotter wires. Going up to a 15 amp fuse would definitely let you do what you want to do (maybe a 10-amp), and it would not affect the other lights, but it will take more power from the battery (duh) and therefore put a heavier strain on the alternator. If you have any stereo mods (subs, etc) you really ought to be cautious.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll stick with the Polargs/shaved nub thing. They're bright enough for me, and I can stick with the original 7.5 amp fuse
Old 05-06-2003, 07:24 PM

has anyone put on led's on their corners. I had blue bulbs on the corners now with the corner mod its too blue! so i went with the stock bulbs and now its too yellow! Anybody put led's on their corners? I want super white light to match my bluevisions.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:31 PM
be the change u want2C

Originally posted by MaxRocZ
Wow...I can't believe it's that easy. Why does just cutting off that nib make them brighter though? Does anyone have a technical explanation for that?

Does the increased light intensity cause the bulb to burn out quicker too?
1157 Bulbs are turning bulbs, They have two settings, A on mode and a Flash mode, The Brighter Part of it is the Turning Signal mode, and the dimmer part is the regular on mode, Basically your making it so that the Turning Light is always on, The bulbs do heat up a lot like this, (CAUTION) If you got into and Accident and got Generic corners your Harnesses might melt(END CAUTION)

lol