Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Problem: Engine Coolent Temperature Sensor? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/153276-problem-engine-coolent-temperature-sensor.html)

Maximamark 04-24-2003 08:12 AM

Problem: Engine Coolent Temperature Sensor?

any of you guys ever have a problem with a broken/malfunctioning engine coolent temp. sensor?
I had a check engine light come on, and the codes were 01 03, and 09 08.
Both mean Engine Coolent Temp. Sensor. and now i'm having trouble wit starting the car since the RPMs drop and there's a weird sound like a rice-boy exhaust coming from my car too.
Any clues?

thanks,
mark

Jepht20 04-24-2003 08:21 AM

i had that problem. buy the sensor from a dealership and just pop the old one, and put new in. it'll save you a lot of peace of mind just to do it now, stalling isn't fun.

rmb 04-24-2003 08:23 AM

Re: Problem: Engine Coolent Temperature Sensor?

Originally posted by Maximamark
any of you guys ever have a problem with a broken/malfunctioning engine coolent temp. sensor?
I had a check engine light come on, and the codes were 01 03, and 09 08.
Both mean Engine Coolent Temp. Sensor. and now i'm having trouble wit starting the car since the RPMs drop and there's a weird sound like a rice-boy exhaust coming from my car too.
Any clues?

thanks,
mark

It's a cheap and easy fix.

I don't know why your exhaust would sound that much different though... that might be something else....

-RMB

WhiteMax96 04-24-2003 08:26 AM

A broken coolant sensor will say to your ECU to be richer and that's why you have difficulty to start. Your ECU give too much gas cause the reading of the sensor say that your coolant fluid is like -40 Celcius. At the end of the exhaust you surely see a black smoke going out.

bb0ys 04-24-2003 08:58 AM

does ecu have to report an error?

If the ECTS isn't working properly, does the CEL have to come on? The reason I am asking is because my car doesn't start properly when the engine is warm. It starts fine when the engine is hot, (turned off within the last 30mins or so) or totally cold.

rmb 04-24-2003 09:44 AM

Re: does ecu have to report an error?

Originally posted by bb0ys
If the ECTS isn't working properly, does the CEL have to come on? The reason I am asking is because my car doesn't start properly when the engine is warm. It starts fine when the engine is hot, (turned off within the last 30mins or so) or totally cold.
The coolant temp sensor usually dies without throwing a code. It usually just send faulty temp readings to the ecu. For it to throw a code it would have to either stop sending signals at all or send really wacky readings (like 1000 degrees).

If you have a problem that's temp related, it's an easy thing to replace and rule out...

-RMB

gregmax1 12-02-2012 07:18 PM

5th generation Maxima coolant sensor problem

Coolant temperature sensor Maxima 2002 problem
Noticed that the temperature unusually slowly reached a normal level.
Next day ‘Service engine service’ was turned on.

Bought a sensor in Autozone store and replaced it.
The result is the same.
So what to do? – Buy a sensor from Nissan dealership and replace again or there is something else?

Thank you

asand1 12-02-2012 09:43 PM

Your gauge and your ECU use two separate sensors. If the gauge says its warming up slowly, there are two possiblities.
(1) You ARE warming up slowly due to your T-stat sticking open or,
(2)the coolant is low and your sensor is not actually reading the temp of the coolant, but rather the temp of the air pocket.

Scan it and tell us the code#

maxinout93 12-02-2012 11:39 PM

I had a prob with my cts. car would start when cold, and then die, sumtimes it would stall while driving, both coolant fans would b on full blast! also if the car started while cold and shut off a few minutes later, it would b extremely difficult to get it started again in warm weather, these are very annoying issues, I replaced mine and haven't had any more problems since. also I didn't get a code for it.

gregmax1 12-03-2012 06:36 AM

6-7 months ago I got such situation and replaced a sensor with after market sensor in auto shop.
Now the same cams back.
This time the replacement with the sensor from AUTOzone doesn’t help.
The coolant level is OK.
This problem does not impact any functions. Maybe (?) only drinks more gas.

I think T-stat sticking open.
So, does it make sense to replace the sensor again but now buying it in Nissan dealership?