4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Transmission question

I've got a '98 SE with 65k miles. So far, I don't have ANY problems with the transmission but I have not changed the transmission fluid. How often should it be changed? I could not find info in the owners manual. Would you recommend going to the dealer or a local transmission shop? I also baby the car letting it warm up and not taxing the transmission during normal driving.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2003, 09:04 AM

Keep searching the ORG, there have been about half a dozen write-ups on this in the last few days...

Just read the titles of the posts and find ones about transmission or synthetic fluids. Go back a few pages, you should find a ton of info.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:26 AM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

I think the manual says every 30k change it, definately every 60k change it and flush it. All changing it entails is removing a drain plug and adding more. Anyone should be able to do it, just find someone you trust.

The thing about dealers is that they don't necessarily know everything. I ordered a tranny gasket from a local dealer and a mechanic stopped and said 'I didn't know they has gaskets on there.' Hows that for making you feel good.

Anyway, aside from the flush, just a fluid change is no big deal. You should be ok either way (I did mine myself).

Oh yeah, I am assuming this is automatic...
Old 05-29-2003, 12:51 PM

Just a quick update... I had the transmission fluid changed and there were no reported problems. One thing I want to learn is how can I change it myself? Can anyone tell me where the drain plug is for the transmission fluid? Is there a filter that needs to be changed? Should the gasget be changed also?? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2003, 01:06 PM

"I ordered a tranny gasket from a local dealer and a mechanic stopped and said 'I didn't know they has gaskets on there."
Thats better than having the head Nissan Certified Mechanic ask me if my 99se was a 4cylinder or a V6....then trying to convince me they made a 4banger after I told him he was a moron and I was leaving. Him: "Yeah they made a 4cylinder maxima, it's called an Altima" Me: Yeah, you ****en idiot, thats a totally different car, your fired"

I changed my tranny fluid at 38K and def noticed smoother shifts, but nothing major, I think it was done at 20K to by the previous owner. Next is fuel system flush
Old 05-29-2003, 01:38 PM

That draing plug is on the tranny oil pan under thr tranny. The tranny oil pan kind of resembles your engine oil pan, you can't miss it. There are only two oil pan looking things under there.

Just unscrew that plug and about half your tranny fluid will come out. There are two ways to get the rest out - either removing the valve body and reinstalling it (highly UNRECOMMENDED) or flushing it out by adding new fluid and letting it all drain through. That's the one I would go for. If you really really want a clean filter, you could remove the tranny oil pan entirely (there are like 20 bolts or so) and use brake cleaner to clean the filter. You can see it on your valve body, and it will be dirty. You'll know it's vlean when the runoff is clear.

While your pan is off, you should clean those magnets that collect dirt, they will be really nasty and still attached to the pan that you removed. They might even be unrecognizable as magnets and just look like dirt *****. Anyway, if you take the pan off, you should replace the gasket. Then put everything back together (which will be a mad hassle if you removed the valve body, so again don't do it that way).

Be careful not to over-torque the bolts holding the pan on. They are easy to break off (don't ask me how I know...) and the gasket is easy to tear. I don't know if it really matters, but I rubbed a little tranny fluid on the gasket before I sealed everything back up. Oh, and unplug the black battery cable if you are going to go any further than just the drain plug.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:51 PM

Hey - thanks for the info... I'll try it next time.... Also, I too noticed that the shifting was a LOT smoother after the change!
Old 05-29-2003, 02:02 PM

Good deal. glad your car is better!