4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Popping sound when accelerating from a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Popping sound when accelerating from a stop.

I have a '96 GXE auto. Around 110,000 miles or it. For the last 2 weeks, everytime I accelerate from a stop, there is a loud pop from the pass. side wheel. I recently put on a set of RX-7 wheels with 225/50/16 tires and new front rotors. I thought maybe I missed something or didn't get something tight but I just got done checking everything I could and everything is fine. I jacked the car up, took off the wheel, checked every bolt, moving part, etc. and couldn't find anything. Pulled it over the pit and yanked it up and down, pushed it forward and back. Nothing. Only does it when I've been driving, come to a complete stop and accelerate again. If I do a rolling stop, nothing. Has anybody had this problem or know what the fix is? It's really annoying.

Oh ya, I replaced the axles about 6-8 months ago and I've done all the turn in cirles tests to check the joints on the axle.

I'm have Sprint/Tokico suspension. Energy Suspension poly bushings. PR Poly Motor Mounts.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:32 PM

Re: Popping sound when accelerating from a stop.

Originally posted by BSwithTF
I have a '96 GXE auto. Around 110,000 miles or it. For the last 2 weeks, everytime I accelerate from a stop, there is a loud pop from the pass. side wheel.
Perhaps a stuck caliper? My friend's car does this sometimes, and it's even a newer vehicle.

Make sure your caliper pins aren't bent, and maybe regrease them.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:36 PM

It's worth a try.

It's getting really annoying.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:40 PM

do you have CAI? I used to have a clink noise with cai since the lower pipe would bang on the fender when the engine rocks
Old 06-09-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
do you have CAI? I used to have a clink noise with cai since the lower pipe would bang on the fender when the engine rocks
Sort of. I use the lower piping to bring air up to a JWT popcharger. It's coming from the pass side under the car/around the wheel area so I don't think that's it. I'll check it though. At this point I'm all ears for suggestions.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:56 PM
www.autotalk.com

I have had this noise for an YEAR now. I have replaced all the shocks/suspension parts but still its there. I just try to ignore it :-(
Old 06-09-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Max4Speed
I have had this noise for an YEAR now. I have replaced all the shocks/suspension parts but still its there. I just try to ignore it :-(
Thanks for the encouragement. Guess that's what the volume **** on the radio's for.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:21 PM

Well, well, well.. look what we have here. I was just asking Ben about this noise yesterday, sinceI have it too. I have had this noise for a while now, and I have put a new wheel bearing in, new hub assumbley, new lower control arm, straightened all my rims, rebalanced tires, new strut mounts, FSB bushings, etc. and I still have the noise. Ben told me it could be an FSB bushing or a motor mount, and guess what it's not the FSB bushing. When I reinstalled my OEM ones yesterday I found that one of my ES endlink bushings was cracked and I thought I had the problem solved - but I've driven 60+ miles since and it's still there. So soon enough I hope to take that rear mount out (anyone know how hard this is?) and inspect it. Hopefully he is right and that is my problem. Hopefully.
-Cyrus
Old 06-09-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Well, well, well.. look what we have here. I was just asking Ben about this noise yesterday, sinceI have it too. I have had this noise for a while now, and I have put a new wheel bearing in, new hub assumbley, new lower control arm, straightened all my rims, rebalanced tires, new strut mounts, FSB bushings, etc. and I still have the noise. Ben told me it could be an FSB bushing or a motor mount, and guess what it's not the FSB bushing. When I reinstalled my OEM ones yesterday I found that one of my ES endlink bushings was cracked and I thought I had the problem solved - but I've driven 60+ miles since and it's still there. So soon enough I hope to take that rear mount out (anyone know how hard this is?) and inspect it. Hopefully he is right and that is my problem. Hopefully.
-Cyrus
It's not to hard to get out. You should be able to look at it without taking it out though. If you can get under there with a flashlight, you'll be able to look into it and see if it's torn or not. Mine was pretty apparent when I tore my stock one out.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:23 PM

Ohhhhh forgot to mention- do you have a FSTB? anyways I had a "chattering" noise before and it was because the AC line was rubbing up against my FSTB and it was up against it. check to see if the ac line is hitting it and try to bend the bracket away from it if it is. hope you find what your looking for
Old 06-09-2003, 11:37 PM

yeah, i have this problem too. for me what is was... when i put my CAI on i lost a screw to the plastic fender in the wheel well. so its kinda loose, so every time i would accelerate from a stop it would pop out of place for a second and the sound of plastic on the metal sounded like a popping noise
Old 06-10-2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
Ohhhhh forgot to mention- do you have a FSTB? anyways I had a "chattering" noise before and it was because the AC line was rubbing up against my FSTB and it was up against it. check to see if the ac line is hitting it and try to bend the bracket away from it if it is. hope you find what your looking for
Yeesh... I had this problem too. When it started wearing away at the AC line, I started to get worried. So I set out to fix it.

Current score: Bench grinder: 1, FSTB mount: 0
Old 06-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My car use to make this sound every once and a while and then it just sort of disappeared. I know exactly what kind of noise you're talking about too. I think the problem possibly lies in the strut mount or the coils of springs hitting one another (are yours wrapped good?).

Dave
Old 06-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have this noise too and it bothers me because it sound so bad! Like I'm driving some piece of **** car. I actually get it going from a stop and sometimes just rolling at very low speed. At regular driving speed, the car is smooth with nary a foul sound.

I recently redid the front suspension with new mounts, new coil wraps and the sound is unabated. Like everyone else, everything looks fine! I was thinking about replacing the control arm but since Vyrus did that, I don't think I will. BTW, I hear it on the drivers side... It sounds like a metallic popping like it could be the coils interacting with the lower mount or something but I swear, everything is well wrapped!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:48 AM

same noise..figured out it was my right upper strut mount. It moves when i tunr the wheel left or right.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:18 AM
www.autotalk.com

This looks like a DEFECT in the 4th gens :-(
Old 06-10-2003, 03:36 PM

This sound is really ****ing me off. I'm going to inspect the engine mount today and get back to you guys.. then I'll check the FSTB, fender rivets, and anything else you tell me. I've replace basically the entire right front suspension, and I still have this noise. Seems that I am not the only one tho, so it must be problem to do with the original equipment.
-Cyrus
Old 06-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Vyrus
This sound is really ****ing me off. I'm going to inspect the engine mount today and get back to you guys..
I just swapped in polyurethane filled stock engine mounts and the noise didn't change. Don't think it's the wheel bearing since the up/down test is tight. Though about the CV joints but turning is not a problem (not strut bearings either). Everything in the strut/spring/mount assembly looked damn good. I never had this sound until about a year after I lowered--don't know if stock suspensions have this problem. FSB bushing were replaced too and sound is still there. Don't have a CAI anymore and with my FSTB off, there is no change in sound. Argghh!