4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny codes does anyone have a listing for these->

Old 01-31-2001, 08:03 AM

my overdrive light blinked 16 times fast what does this mean?
Old 01-31-2001, 08:19 AM

Fail-safe operation

Originally posted by Jose
A quote from the '99 Maxima Owner's Manual...

<font color="blue">
Fail-safe
When the fail-safe operation occurs, the next time the key is turned to the ON position, the O/D OFF light will blink for approximately 8 seconds after coming on for 2 seconds. While the vehicle can be driven under these circumstances please note that the gears in the automatic transmission will be locked in third gear.

If the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions, such as excessive wheel spinning and subsequent hard braking the fail-safe may be activated. This will occur even if all electrical circuits are functioning properly. In this case, turn the ignition key OFF and wait for 3 seconds. Then turn the key back on the the ON position. The vehicle should return to its normal operating conditions. If it does not return to its normal operating condition, have your Nissan dealer check the transmission and repair if necessary.

</font>
Old 01-31-2001, 08:24 AM

Lost your Owner's Manual? Get a new one!

The Nissan owner’s manual has valuable model-specific details on the day-to-day use and care of your car, as well as recommended maintenance intervals. If you’ve lost or misplaced your manual, just call 1-800-247-5321 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday. There is no charge for 1999, 1998 or 1997 manuals, however, there is a $12.00 charge for owners manuals prior to the 1997 models.
Old 01-31-2001, 08:33 AM

Re:This is exactly what is happening to me->

AnyTime I gas it and spin the tires through first gear it stalls going into second gear I loose all power for about 1 second then 2nd gear comes in, After that my car get stuck in a gear it wouldn't switch no matter what I do. It feels like my tranny is blown then I turn the car off let it sit for a second or 2 and start it back up then thats when the overdrive button blinks 16 times and everything is alright the car drives like normal. It has happen to me 3 times so far why would my car do that something have to be wrong.
Any input would be Appreciated!!!

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

<font color="blue">
Fail-safe
When the fail-safe operation occurs, the next time the key is turned to the ON position, the O/D OFF light will blink for approximately 8 seconds after coming on for 2 seconds. While the vehicle can be driven under these circumstances please note that the gears in the automatic transmission will be locked in third gear.

If the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions, such as excessive wheel spinning and subsequent hard braking the fail-safe may be activated. This will occur even if all electrical circuits are functioning properly. In this case, turn the ignition key OFF and wait for 3 seconds. Then turn the key back on the the ON position. The vehicle should return to its normal operating conditions. If it does not return to its normal operating condition, have your Nissan dealer check the transmission and repair if necessary.

</font>
Old 01-31-2001, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re:This is exactly what is happening to me->

AnyTime I gas it and spin the tires through first gear it stalls going into second gear I loose all power for about 1 second then 2nd gear comes in, After that my car get stuck in a gear it wouldn't switch no matter what I do. It feels like my tranny is blown then I turn the car off let it sit for a second or 2 and start it back up then thats when the overdrive button blinks 16 times and everything is alright the car drives like normal. It has happen to me 3 times so far why would my car do that something have to be wrong.
Dr. it hurts when I do this! "Ok, so dont do that any more!"
Old 01-31-2001, 08:51 AM

Go back and read what the Owner's Manual says!

... Any input would be Appreciated!!!
You have already received the explanation and remedial instructions. If you are too lazy to read and follow those instructions, go to the dealer and he will do it for you... for a modest fee...
Old 01-31-2001, 09:02 AM

Come on Daniel there was no need for that ->

I appreciate your help. No need for name calling because you do not know me personally,I was just trying to type as much info of my problem. Once again thanks for your help!!!

... Any input would be Appreciated!!!
You have already received the explanation and remedial instructions. If you are too lazy to read and follow those instructions, go to the dealer and he will do it for you... for a modest fee...
Old 01-31-2001, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re:This is exactly what is happening to me->

Why would you want to spin the tires through all of 1st gear? Another question. How? Water? I have almost the same mods as you.. You may have maybe 6 more HP than me.. And I can not spin my tires through all of 1st.. On top of that I'm only 150lbs. So less weight up front. So tell me how you can spin through all of 1st.. Bald tires?

ZuM

<font color="blue">
Fail-safe

</font>