4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What're the stats on a stock '97 alternator?

Old 09-15-2000, 07:07 PM

I've been reading acouple of My-Alternator-Broke-Down stories, and I was wondering how close I'm teetering towards doing it in my own car. I'm running a stereo setup right now that's drawing upwards of 180amps. It only dims at high volumes (135dB+ .. volumes you ain't gonna be cruising around at...) which shows me that the alternator on the stock system must be pretty strong. I'm guessing up around 120-150amps. Anyone know what size they are? And what they're upgradeable to by having them reworked? .. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2000, 08:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The 4th gen GXEs and SEs have 105-amp alternators and the GLEs have 120-amp alternators. I push a pretty decent amount of wattage (about 520 actual, continuous watts) regularly with my sound system and my lights never dim and I've never replaced the alternator, so they seem to be pretty strong units. Not like GM alternators. Those things burn out yearly with the use of any electrical accessories.
Old 09-15-2000, 09:36 PM

Cool, 105 amps ain't great but it'll live for the time being. I'm doing about 1500w RMS right now so it'll struggle sometimes =).. Anyone gotten theirs rewound, if so, what to?

.. How do the quarts sound in your car? =) I'm running some RF Q's right now and they're not bad, I had some friend come into town with diamond audios though and I realized I gotta change em.
Old 09-15-2000, 11:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Diamond makes some pretty nice speakers, most think as good as or better than the Quarts for their premium stuff. I like my quarts (I have them all around in my Max.) and they are good speakers, but their mid bass is a little weak in my opinion. When I listened to the Diamonds after I had them in, I thought they were comparable and would take either or in my car. Another speaker that I like a lot that you don't see that often was the Image Dynamics Chamelians. They are the first tweeter/mid bass combo (they normally make horns) and they did a good job with them. They are sorta different in the fact that you can use them as seperates or coaxs. I am pretty sure they are in the same price range as the Quarts and Diamond speakers.
Old 09-16-2000, 04:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I love my MB Quarts. None of the harshness that most people ***** about (I don't think that they know what they are talking about). Everyone who has listened to my system has been very impressed with the SQ. True, the Quarts could do with a little more midbass, but I have some ideas on that. I'd like to run the T/S parameters through an enclosure program and see if maybe they should be installed in small sealed enclosures for more midbass, instead of infinite baffle in the doors. At any rate, they kick-out enough midbass down to the 65Hz xover point that I run them at, providing good up-front bass.
Old 09-16-2000, 12:58 PM

Yeah I'm gonna hafta start auditioning once I get another job. I've been seeing a lot of horns-in-the-dash but I don't know if that'd be possible without a lot of work.. If it ain't, I'm going with 5.25" in the kicks, 8"s in the doors and the tweeters ... somewhere (haven't decided yet hehe). The MB's scare me a bit because my RF's are really really harsh, and the midbass ain't great. Image d's are definately a possibility for the system (thinking of 8"s IDQ's in the door)

Thanks for the help with the alternator, funny how it'd turn into a car audio post (That's already mainly what I read hehe)
Old 09-16-2000, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
I love my MB Quarts. None of the harshness that most people ***** about (I don't think that they know what they are talking about). Everyone who has listened to my system has been very impressed with the SQ. True, the Quarts could do with a little more midbass, but I have some ideas on that. I'd like to run the T/S parameters through an enclosure program and see if maybe they should be installed in small sealed enclosures for more midbass, instead of infinite baffle in the doors. At any rate, they kick-out enough midbass down to the 65Hz xover point that I run them at, providing good up-front bass.
Let me know what happens if you do get an enclosure built for your quarts. If it makes a definate improvement, I may have to try the same thing. I love my Quarts also and would not give them up any time soon. I don't think they are harsh at all, and come across really clean with the minimal amount of power I'm pushing them with. (Each only has 50W RMS going to it, I would like to increase it to 100W, but not sure how well they would take it).